PDA

View Full Version : ultra sonic cleaners, worth it or not?

shagg
11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I am curious about these new fangled cleaners. Does anyone know if they work well, and how long does the chemical last?

thanx, Ron:shock:

John Boy
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
No on both but here's a good read ...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12779/GunTechdetail/Ultrasonic-Case-Cleaning
Also, they are too rich for my wallet - one of a sufficient size

RKJ
11-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I've got a Lyman and it does a great job although it doesn't polish the brass like a tumbler. It cleans everything and the primer pockets look new if you deprime before dumping them in. I use the Hornady cleaner and it lasts about 3 times for me. It might last longer but it gets pretty dirty. I put a capful in at a time and that does just fine. I also like that you can clean other things in it. I've cleaned 2 of my SS S&W's and some of my wives jewelry. I would advise against putting a blued gun in it though as it really cleans.

Walt
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
If cleaning large quanities of brass is the norm for you, you probably won't be happy with these small units. Small batches are OK if you want REALLY clean brass.

DCM
11-30-2011, 09:34 PM
If you are cleaning only small batches or nickel plated you will like it.
If you are doing large quantities you will not. it will become tedious fast.
If you are NOT doing nickel plated brass you will be happier with SS tumbling.
I have a vibe, ultrasonic and a LARGE custom rotary SS setup.
They all have their place and the SS setup IMO gives the cleanest brass cases. You will not like what the SS does to nickel plated stuff,.

Shedhunter
11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
The lyman is a rebadged harbor freight cleaner, check it out on their website. I bought it and have played with it a little using a mix of soap, vinegar and distilled water. It works to clean the powder residue but if you want shiny brass you need to tumble it afterwards. It does come in handy for cleaning jewelry and other odd ball items.

whitewolf68
12-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Shedhunter is 100% correct. The Lyman version I have I bought after trying a Harbour Freight version. Only difference between the two is the basket it self.

The Lyman version has a full basket vs. a shallow tray. Much easier to get the brass out with the Lyman. I compared the 2 side by side and the only difference os name and basket.

I will say I use the Lyman cleaning solution and it works VERY well. I also use it heated but yes the primer pockets and insides are squeaky clean.

.357MAN
12-01-2011, 04:42 AM
I use this recipe I found on 6mmbr.com with a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner.
I put the cases in a glass jar to make the transitioning and rinsing easer.

"CHEAP and CLEAN
24 minutes - 50% Vinegar + 1 Drop Dish Soap per 8 ounces water
480 seconds - Baking Soda (BS) in water (1 grain BS per ounce of water)
480 seconds - Hot Water
480 seconds - Distilled Water
Total: 48 minutes
Cost: Less than $2.00 per gallon"

I shortened the first stage to 8 minutes, and I exclude the distilled water stage.
I found the whole 48 minute process impractical with small batches of 20-60 38 spl cases.
After cleaning I dry the cases with a hair drier for two or three minutes.
If I was a mass reloader I would definitely make a rotary tumbler and use SS pins.

I like to see the clean insides of my cases, although this process will not polish, or remove gunpowder tarnishing on the outside of most cases, but at least their squeaky clean inside and out.

This is the address to the webpage: http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
It's really informative.

.357MAN

Bret4207
12-01-2011, 08:37 AM
HF has them on sale now.

btroj
12-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I have one, haven't messed with it enough to really be able to say. I am just not sold on the need to use something that makes my brass wet. I don't like the wait to make sure it is dry.
I am starting to believe that a tumbler is the best. I only want to make sure I get the dirt off the case before sizing. I then tumble to get the lube off the case before finishing the loading process.

Clean is clean, shiny is something different. Clean means nothing on the case tha can scratch a die or chamber. That doesn't require a bright shine.

dragonrider
12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I have one, haven't messed with it enough to really be able to say. I am just not sold on the need to use something that makes my brass wet. I don't like the wait to make sure it is dry.
I am starting to believe that a tumbler is the best. I only want to make sure I get the dirt off the case before sizing. I then tumble to get the lube off the case before finishing the loading process.

Clean is clean, shiny is something different. Clean means nothing on the case tha can scratch a die or chamber. That doesn't require a bright shine.

+1 exactly. clean is important, shiny has no purpose.

scb
12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I've got one of the Hornadys' I'm not impressed. If you want clean brass get, http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html and http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stainless-tumbling-media.html.
I can't imagine ever wearing the media out. The model "B" tumbler is very well built. The only chemicals are H2O and dish soap. Wish I'd bought these before wasting money on the ultrasonic.

There are many threads about SS media here but check this one out http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=135223 . The inside and primer pockets look as good as the outside. I was too lazy to go the DIY route.