PDA

View Full Version : It cooled down finally.

44man
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I didn't want to hang any deer, it was near 70* for a few days.
I got up this morning and took the dogs out to find it was perfect so I got my stuff on. I got on stand just as it was breaking light.
I hate the stinking cushion that came with it, not much better then a board. :sad: Might have tacks buried in the thing! :bigsmyl2:
I didn't see anything for a long time, then a large doe walked by fast at about 80 yards but I could not even get the SBH on line and find an opening.
I spotted a large black blob way out front in a small opening, maybe 150 yards or more. Then it moved, went out of sight but soon he crossed back a little higher. Looked like the one I seen last week that is the size of a draft horse.
Another doe went by but went around an osage tree, out of sight. Right after another followed but came this side of the tree so I got the Ultra Dot on her, led a little and squeezed off the shot. She about did a back flip and dropped.
I hit her in the neck with my 330 gr WLN, hard boolit.
I paced it with longs steps at 78 yards.

pmer
11-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Nice shooting 44man

44man
11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice shooting 44man
Thanks.
I need two more to get the two ladies freezers filled. They have let me hunt forever and I can do what I want there so I love to get each two deer a season. Both are kind of poor.
They don't want the big buck so he walks and breeds! I don't want him either but I would like to see him when it is light enough to count his antlers.

white eagle
11-30-2011, 07:41 PM
seems as though that would be the decent thing to do
man I wish I had neighbors like that
best of luck to you
I am off tomorrow to see about getting one with the muzzleloader

44man
11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
seems as though that would be the decent thing to do
man I wish I had neighbors like that
best of luck to you
I am off tomorrow to see about getting one with the muzzleloader
I wish you good luck.
By the time we get this one cut, I was thinking it will be muzzle loader for me next too. I might dust off the .54!

pmer
11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks.
I need two more to get the two ladies freezers filled. They have let me hunt forever and I can do what I want there so I love to get each two deer a season. Both are kind of poor.
They don't want the big buck so he walks and breeds! I don't want him either but I would like to see him when it is light enough to count his antlers.

Oh good, for a minute there I thought you were confusing Campbell's soup labels and deer hides. :)

44man
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
If you seen the two I kept, you would laugh! [smilie=1:
I want to make sausage and the wife said I would use up all the meat.
When I see a big buck, I say that I can't eat that thing and I could boil antlers for a year and toss them with the meat. :D
Long ago a friend had an old, old milk cow and had it butchered, absolutely the worst tasting stuff EVER! He invited me to eat and I was turning red trying to swallow the stuff.
I have watched some of the TV stuff and wonder how much meat is tossed out? How many heads are cut off to the let the rest rot? They don't fool me when they shoot one and wait until the next day to look for it.

Judan_454
12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Great job I love it when hunters hunt with handguns. Handgun hunting has come a long way sence Elmer Keith. I remember my wifes dad who was police officer told me you could not hit anything beyound 25yds with a handgun. I knew better because I shot IMSHA for years. Again great job eat lots a vension for me and your right you cant eat the horns.

white eagle
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I can shoot either or today w/muzzleloader
I would live to get a big whitetail buck
never got a real big one (mounter)I have shot 16-17"but never anything the next rung up
taking the pistol as well if I can bust one with it I will
as my farmer friend has ag damage tags as well

Whiterabbit
12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks delicious. :)

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
were down to muzzle loader only too. Farm we do crop damage shooting on just called and said they had a pile of land owner doe permits and we could come back and shoot some more does. Ive got to spend three days with dad at camp then the last 7 ill go to the farm. Shot a big doe last night on the farm with the 7mag but that was the last day of firearm deer season.

44man
12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
The lady came and we cut the deer up. I ground a HUGE bowl for her too. The Cabela's 3/4 horse grinder is a wonder!
When I was skinning and got to the boolit hole I was surprised at the size of the entrance hole. My hard, 22 BHN 330 gr WLN made a very large wound, put the deer right on the ground and I did not hit the spine.
All she could do was roll her eyes and kick her legs so I cut her to speed it up.