PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length vs caliber for BPCR

WyomingWhitetail
11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
So ive been thinking about a future project again... I was thinking of taking some H and R single shots and converting them via new barrels to guns like 32-40, 38-55, 40-65, and 45-70, etc (since i cant afford a sharps yet). Now ive never played with black powder cartridges. Ive messed with lots of smokeless and plenty of muzzle-loaders but never black and brass. Im not real interested in competition i mainly just want to do it for fun at the range and to add some fun to hunting. My question is is there an optimum barrel length based on caliber. I know in muzzleloaders you typically want a longer barrel to utilize the powder better but in BPCR you would have basically a set powder charge so would say a 45-70 utilize a longer barrel than a 32-40 or does that concept not really apply to BPCR. Interested on hearing everyone's thoughts.

Don McDowell
11-30-2011, 04:58 PM
If you can afford 5 rifle barrels at 300$+ each, you're not that far from a Sharps.

24-26 inches will suffice for most rifle cartridges and blackpowder, 22 was considered carbine length.
There will be a noticable velocity loss under 26 inches.

WyomingWhitetail
11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Well I definitely wouldn't be building that many of them at once. Eventually if I like them I might build more as I get the money. Plus I would then have 5 guns instead of one lol. The 26in barrel being long enough is good for me as I would want to hunt with these so 12 pound rifles are a little impractical. I was thinking a 30in octagon would work well.

JeffinNZ
11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
For BPCR the factors that dictate barrel length IMHO are balance and sight radius. The rifle will need to 'hang' well for you to shoot it offhand and the sight radius should be as long as is practical.

NickSS
12-01-2011, 02:00 AM
You can start out with an H&R Buffalo clasic that comes with a 32 or 34 inch 45-70 barrel and start from there. If the barrel it too long you can cut it down and inch at a time until you like the results. The entire rifle and action will only cost slightly more that a barrel from a good vendor and they shoot well too.

6.5 mike
12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Or look at the C Sharp 1875's. I just got one & it's very a very sweet shooter. Mine's in 38-55.