PDA

View Full Version : My first search and rescue

Ivantherussian03
02-21-2007, 04:22 AM
Wow, I am pretty amazed at the things I have learned. I live in the Arctic; it can be a dangerous place. I was an novice when I came-now I am the real deal.

tonight I got phone call at 730 pm. That is an hour after last light. A co-worker is over due. The people tell me the trail and the destination. The spouse is calling people trying to find some people to go out there.

I suit up, and everyone is gone. So I head out. I am cruising. I navigate past an open hole in the ice, and wonder if there are others. I follow the one fresh snowmachine trac I can find. I stop to pee, and adjust my head gear at 10 miles out. It is cold out but only my face is cold. I navigate around a small canyon in the ice and snow.

I wonder what has happened to this lost person: broke down machine, stuck machine or a flipped machine, and open hole in the ice. My 1st question is why are they out so far alone. Do have they proper gear: a flashlight would be nice. I could have drove right past them.

The I see refective tape, then aperson. The lost person. They are walking back. The verdict is a stuck machine. Snowmachining 101--never drive through drifts of snow on trackless snow, at low speed. I drove 15 miles out and found out I was the first leave. There I thought I pulling up the rear. I found only one snow machine track going up, so I sould not have been surprised.

No big deal I guess- we made it back fine

SharpsShooter
02-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Way to go Sir! You are correct, most do not prepare properly when they travel in dangerous terrain or weather.

SS

waksupi
02-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Good deal, Ivan. One tip though. Never go out on S&R alone, and definitely without telling some one EXACTLY where you will be searching. That way, they don't end up looking for two, instead of one!

PatMarlin
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Most likely saved his life. Big deal?... You bet!... :drinks:

redneckdan
02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Nice work. Good feelin isn't it.:-D Its a good idea to have a bail out bag set up for SAR work. Around my parts, calls are seldom, gear tends to be strewn about my aprtment when needed. Having a pack already set up definitely speeds things.

Ivantherussian03
02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Your right. I thought there were searcher in front of me. The weather condition were ideal, clear, no wind to speak of; it was beautiful out. They were in no danger, just a long walk, or chance wolf encounter. They had no gun, no flashlight, no GPS, no lighter or matches. But they were dressed very warm.

wills
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
But they were dressed very warm.

How many of them were there?

dakotashooter2
02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Good job but..........
My 1st question is why are they out so far alone. wouldn't that apply to you (as a searcher) also. Aren't searches generally done in teams to avoid losing more people.

MT Gianni
02-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Good job but.......... wouldn't that apply to you (as a searcher) also. Aren't searches generally done in teams to avoid losing more people.

You should also have a radio or cell phone if in a coverage area. Have a meeting before the next search to include a roundevoux site before you leave so someone knows who is out there and where they are seaeching. This in no way diminishes the success you had, great job. Gianni.

schutzen
02-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Congratulations on the rescue, but you were very lucky! Many good comments here. As a fire brigade/confined space rescue/medical rescue leader, I see many issues with your actions. Most are do to inexperience and "hero" syndrome. All rescue efforts should be coordinated from a single point by a single authority. That authority is responsible to assign search sectors to search teams, record their locations, departure times, communications checks, and status. All teams should leave with complete survival gear for the conditions and be prepared to return to a designated assembly area for evacuation if conditions worsen. The first and foremost responsibility of any rescue team or leader is the safety of the rescuers. If you are hurt, lost, or dead all you do is drain resources from the search effort. It sounds like your local Fire Department has no rescue squad. You might want to check on this if you really like the feeling you got when you brought your co-worker in safe, I suggest you try to start one. I do have one thought of caution. While the rescues are great, the recoveries are gut-wrenching. At the very least, study up on search/rescue procedures and policies. Nothing is sadder than to read a news article about a "home town hero" who died trying to rescue someone.

AkMike
02-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Where Ivan is at there is alot of grass roots search work that doesn't take time for the official leaders to get there or organized. It's going to take too much time for the troopers to get there. If the locals know the area the troopers ask for their direction and advise.
This is a big land and everyone takes or gives help as needed. He did it right!

Ivantherussian03
02-22-2007, 01:55 AM
I think I know myself, and my capibilities, and I definetely know my limitation. I live in the Bush, there are no cell phones here, and never will be. There are no state troopers; search and rescue is done by the people that live here. I know that particular stretch land like the back of my hand, almost. A blind man could almost drive up there. Had I not known that trail, or if that area was less know to me or further out, I would have waited, or not gone. I rarely ever participate in them here, because I dont know the land that well. But i do know a few places very well, well enough to drive around at night and get where I am going, without an accident, or mishap (knock on wood).

I was just proud of myself.[smilie=1:

Bullshop
02-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Ivan
Some folks in the world just dont understand that its just different here. That differance is exactly why it aint for everyone. For those here its just normal life.
BIC/BS

Ivantherussian03
02-22-2007, 03:06 AM
And these are the issues, I have a knowledge base. I run a trapline alone. I have logged around 10,000 miles of Artic travel; in both summer and winter, night and day. I have personally got my machine stuck 2 dozen times. A big part getting a snow machine unstuck is the simple act of physically being able to lift the ass end of a 500 pound machine. Search areas are for people lost in large area; in Alaska you go 1st to where they said they were going, then you create "search areas". Heroism--please-I had enough of that when I was in service and believed in them. No heros here! In the big scheme of things all I did was drive to store in Alaska terms, in fact my favorite store is little farther:-) In the end I just did what i hoped my neighbors would do for me--that is what i did.

Anway, it is like the man said, if i have to explain it to you--you probably won't get it anyway. This is why I live here, and other people don't. If it was easy, everybody would be here.

Bret4207
02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Sometimes I wonder how I lived so long. The Adirondacks may not be Alaska, but where I used to live I could walk out my back door and not hit a road for 40 miles and -40 degree weather was common for 4 months of the year. No GPS, no radios, no cellphones. It was the granola and Gore-tex crowd that died in the mountains each year. A lot of them drown when pulled under by their GPS, radios and cell phones.

What ever happened to snowmobiles that could go "off road" and didn't weigh a ton and half? I had an early Ski Doo Olympic that was great, a 303 Panther that was even better. No I have a Ski Doo that'll do 100 mph but weighs 700 lbs and gets stuck in 6" of powder. I gotta find a 35 year old machine for trapping and such.

redneckdan
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
take a spin on the new skidoo freestyle, ya its sold as a kids machine. but i garunteee you'll have a silly grin when you hop off of it.

BruceB
02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
One hard-learned lesson from our decades in the Canadian Arctic is this:

NEVER refuel all the snow machines on a group outing from the same jerrycan!!! If that one can has somehow been contaminated, you have just killed all of your machines, instead of just one.....

woody1
02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
What ever happened to snowmobiles that could go "off road" and didn't weigh a ton and half? I had an early Ski Doo Olympic that was great, a 303 Panther that was even better. No I have a Ski Doo that'll do 100 mph but weighs 700 lbs and gets stuck in 6" of powder. I gotta find a 35 year old machine for trapping and such.

I've got a '78 Arctic Cat Jag that'll go about anywhere. They made 'em into the mid or late 90's I think. If you can find one reasonable and in good shape grab it I'm going to. Regards, WOody

Bret4207
03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
There you go Woody! Give me my old 303 Panther with the Wankel engine. Sad part is those are collectors items now. You think finding old gun parts is hard....