PDA

View Full Version : Big,flat,fat 444/44 Mold Problem

warf73
02-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Ok guys I poured some bullet last night they look great.

I took my mold apart and boiled it with dish washing soap, blew it dry and smoked it. This is the procedure I take on all my molds works great or seems to.

The problem is once I got the mold to temp (dropping GREAT looking bullets) the bullets don’t drop from the mold. I'm not talking one or two cavities its all six.

The alloy is pure WW’s.

This problem occurred at an alloy temp of 625-675 degrees so I turned up the pot and still had the same problem with the alloy at 800+ degrees, bullets were frosty and I still needed to hit the side of the mold 3-5 times to get all the bullets to drop.

Is there a trick I'm missing? This isn't my first Lee 6 cavity mold and I never had this issue before.

This is a great looking bullet I just need the bullets to drop from mold. I shouldn’t have to beat the hell out the mold to get bullets to drop.

Help please.

Thanks Warf

357maximum
02-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Is there a trick I'm missing? This isn't my first Lee 6 cavity mold and I never had this issue before.

This is a great looking bullet I just need the bullets to drop from mold. I shouldn’t have to beat the hell out the mold to get bullets to drop.

Help please.

Thanks Warf

You got burrs. some are worse than others, mine was pretty bad, but it is a fixable situation...

Visually inspect for any obvious burrs, and remove them CAREFULLY with a sharp knife. Then run the flame of handheld propane torch over the open mould faces, you will see sparks and glowing pieces, them are burrs remove the big ones....then follow these steps in the link below...i skip the graphite, but you will figure it out.....welcome to the lee six club...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=654

If this does not work, come on back and holler....

michael

warf73
02-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks 357 I'll work the mold over first thing this morning after work.
I hope this will cure my problem.

Warf

mike in co
02-22-2007, 07:08 PM
mine drop easy when they are hot and the mold is hot...

if they sit in the mold for more than 10-12 seconds after the pour they are slugish comming out...
but at 10 sec..they drop in my water bucket just fine....
and at aprox 800 degrees.....

ww with aprox 3% dental lead

mike

warf73
02-23-2007, 04:51 AM
I did lapped the mold and still have 5 sticking so back to square one.

Mike I normaly dont run my pot that hot but I might crank it up and see if the other 5 will drop.

Warf