PDA

View Full Version : S dies in a Walnut Hill press (picture)

MightyThor
11-30-2011, 02:19 AM
I have generally been happy with my old corbin press, but when this Walnut Hill came available I jumped at it. There is no denying that it is a stronger press and it gives me some extra room for my big mits to fit.

The S dies were easy to mount upside down by cutting an old punch holder off and threading it in the ram and then putting the punch on the ram. The die fits in a punch holder threaded in the head of the Walnut hill. This particular punch holder was hollow and allowed me to fit the bullet extraction pin down through the whole set up. Eventually this can be fixed with an extractor that pushes the bullet out on the down stroke. So far with these bullets (8s ogive) they easily slide out with just hand pressure on the top.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1piiafpAZ5zEwR6uJ1PA0NCW5nH2pBwQsvW-hZH3Wf-Ek6MDAJGUfQLpBWn9vJBWbum6cbI7xHr1jo-egQy_Bjkw/1129011629a.jpg?psid=1

frank martinez
11-30-2011, 03:35 AM
If you could resize your photo it would be much easier to see.
Thank you for posting, I often wonder if the big press is really a better way to operate on an occasional basis of use.

Reload3006
11-30-2011, 07:45 AM
that is a great Idea I have the S die adapters for my walnut hill but I never considered using them like CH4d dies ..I have to try this.
What is keeping the internal punch in the die? does it bottom on the WH Punch holder?

MightyThor
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
that is a great Idea I have the S die adapters for my walnut hill but I never considered using them like CH4d dies ..I have to try this.
What is keeping the internal punch in the die? does it bottom on the WH Punch holder?

Yeah, the internal punch, or bottom punch is sitting in the punch holder just like it would if it were hanging from the top of the press. In hind sight I probably could have made the bottom holder longer so that the top did not have to threaded down quite so far, but I was thinking short equals strong at that point.

Sorry about the picture size, It was from my cell phone and I didn't realize it would end up that big when attached.

Reload, with your adapters, how do you hold the bullet extraction pin in place? Do you use the original s die pins or is there a different set up for pushing the bullet out of the die?

Reload3006
11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
the point form pin goes into a WH sized socket to fit in the ram just it ends up looking just like a WH internal or bottom punch. My S or I should say M dies are from Larry blackmon so they are slightly different than the Corbin S but are close enough..... What I wanna look at is your external punch holder that you have in your ram:bigsmyl2:

MightyThor
11-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I'll try to get pictures of the stuff tonight (might even make em smaller :oops:)

MIBULLETS
11-30-2011, 06:28 PM
That's pretty inovative Thor! For those that can not do that, Richard Corbin does sell an S die adapter for the Walnut Hill press.

MightyThor
11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
I would have bought the adapters, and still might, but as soon as the press got here I just had to play with it and had to figure out how to mount something with what I had on hand. Since I already had several punch holders I didn't mind sacrificing one to use in the ram. The only thing I did here was cut off the business end of one punch holder and then solder a section of stainless wire in the end of a bolt to use as the ejection pin. The top punch holder was already hollow and threaded to match my point form die. It came with the press.

MightyThor
12-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Pictures of the punch holders I'm using. The first one shows where I cut the holder, the second picture shows the pin I made.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pU_w7n-XwYB5EVW1BR832NJHppXMVnQGbIr1_8oIyp2Gt-9Sd-LjPL2KSVX6Bnyuwmy5IySnsIQQMkmQJHJBTDg/IMG_0698.JPG?psid=1

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pekrxpl7fkVm2u4OuYjoe4cdzDDmGePFGKPBjbgegEfVqT02 lg8I3MQJtXGyjJ-iTJUxldBc3wmphTiS86m3hTQ/IMG_0699.jpg?psid=1

Reload3006
12-01-2011, 07:46 AM
great job I can work with that!!!

Reload3006
12-01-2011, 07:49 AM
So you know what comes with the S die adapter kit from RCE ... you get a threaded adapter bushing that changes the threads in your ram from 7/8-14 to 5/8-24 Takes the dies. I think there were 3 bottom punch adapters so the ejection pins will work like WH. and a centering ring for your external punches and a cap. so the WH punch holder will work like a Corbin punch holder. I made a few extra Internal punch adapters its really not all that hard to do but I like your way better.