PDA

View Full Version : Old country fruitcake recipe

firewalkerd1
11-30-2011, 01:07 AM
I’m in search of the greatest fruitcake recipe. My grandmother had it but she’s no longer with us. She never put anything on paper but it turned out the same every time. She made everything from scratch until the last few years. I do remember she started using a date mix by Jiff which is not carried any more in my area. The mix didn’t change the taste. The cake was not socked in anything. I’m in search of a scratch or mix recipe. Hope to find a good one before Christmas. I though the good people here would have a good old time recipe from their family cookbook. Thanks

waksupi
11-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Try a Google search, I find lots of good recipes that way.

Mk42gunner
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
I remember Mom used to bake fruit cakes when I was a kid. It seems like she eventually used a spice cake mix and added about 93 kinds of fruit to it.

I will ask her tomorrow if she still has the recipe.

Robert

frankenfab
11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
I always hated fruit cake, because the fruit tasted like medicine. My sister in law makes some with a different kind of fruit (think she gets it a Kroger), and it is wonderful stuff. I will try to get the details....

Finster101
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I thought there was only one fruitcake and it just kept getting passed around !?

Tom-ADC
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
1 lb candied cherries, red & green
1 lb candied pineapple green
1/2 cup white raisins

Coat candied fruit with flour

1/4 lb butter 2 cups flour
1 cup sugar 1/4 tsp baking powder
6 eggs 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt 1 ln pecans, whole

Cream sugar and butter, add eggs; add dry ingredients and candied fruit and the nuts. Mix well and put into greased and floured pans and bake at 275 for 1 1/2 hours.
Makes 5 one pound loaves.

dale2242
11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Fruit cake is better without the citron.
Just wrapped a fruitcake the wife made in rum soaked cheescloth.
Should be good by Christmas....dale

firewalkerd1
12-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks Gang, Looking forward to the other recipes.

buyobuyo
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Here is the recipe my dad's mom used to make. I love the stuff, and it makes a lot of fruit cake.

Dark Christmas Fruit Cake

2 lb seedless raisins
2 lb currents
1 lb citron (cut fine)
1 lb candied cherries (whole)
1 lb sultana (white) raisins
1/2 lb lemon peel
1/2 lb orange peel

Prepare fruit 12 hours before using. Cover with 1 cup orange juice.

1 lb whole pecan nut meats

11 cups flour (reserve 3 cups for dredging fruit)
8 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp cloves
6 tsp nutmeg
4 tsp allspice
2 tsp salt

2 lb butter
2 lb light brown sugar
12 eggs
1 cup molasses

2 tsp baking soda (disolved in 2 cups soured milk)

Sift & measure flour, add salt & spices to flour & sift 3 times.
Cream butter well, add sugar gradually & beat until light & creamy
Add well beaten eggs and beat well
Add molasses
Alternately add flour & spices and sour milk-soda mixture (make 4 additions of flour & 3 additions of milk mixture)
Beat well
Fold in dredged fruit & nut meats

Pour into 2 large angle food cake pans OR 5 bread pans which have been lined with well-greased wax paper

Bake at 275 for 3 hours

Wrap in wax paper while hot to seal

Cool on wire rack until cool and store

firewalkerd1
12-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks BuyoBuyo, Looks like a great reipe!!

firewalkerd1
12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
OOPS!!!! recipe

zxcvbob
12-07-2011, 11:07 PM
JUNE BENEFIELD'S CHERRY NUT CAKE
(I think my Mom copied this recipe from The Houston Chronicle)

1 pound candied cherries, cut in half (half red and half green is nice)
1 pound chopped pecans
1 pound dates,chopped
1/2 pound candied pineapple
Batter:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Mix chopped fruits and nuts with 1/2 cup flour. Beat eggs. Add sugar, remaining flour salt and baking powder. Beat slightly. Combine fruit-nut mixture with batter. Mix with hands. (There's no other way to handle the mass says June) Bake in a tube pan lined with two thickness of wax paper or heavy brown paper that's been liberally greased.
Bake 90 minutes at 325 degrees.

Notes: I use this recipe, but I also add chopped dried Turkish apricots, raisins, and chopped brazil nuts. Last time I made it I also added some diced prunes.
Notice that there is no butter or shortening in this cake.
Sweetened dried pineapple works just as well as fancy candied pineapple, and it's cheaper.
Baste with rum, bourbon, or brandy, and wrap tightly in cheese cloth and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

zxcvbob
12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Bishop's Bread (Bischofsbrot)

l cup boiling water [or substitute orange juice for extra flavor]
l cup raisins
l ounce butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar [or less, because the fruits are sweet]
3 large eggs
l cup chopped dried apricots [California are supposedly better in this than Turkish]
l cup fruitcake fruit or chopped dried fruit (apples, prunes, peaches, pineapple, cherries, cranberries, etc)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Place raisins and butter into bowl and pour boiling water over it. Put aside to soak.

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and sugar. Stir to combine. Beat the eggs slightly and add to the flour mixture. It will be very dry. Add the raisins with the water. Stir until well combined. Add all the other ingredients.

Grease two 8" x 4" loaf pans with butter and dust with flour. Divide the batter between the two pans and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for about 1 hour, or until wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.