PDA

View Full Version : New caster

timmylee4074
02-21-2007, 03:08 AM
I've been picking up bullet molds for about the past six weeks. I now have a total of 5 molds. I need to start casting (haven't done it since I was a kid with my dad) What do I need? I'm on a budget and I need help.
Thanks

Bad Ass Wallace
02-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Timmylee,

Try this thread

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=13743.msg166805#msg166805

Cheers

BA

mooman76
02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the board....again!

Norton
02-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes I am new to this board also and want to say hello. I have been casting for a few years for informal plinking (312. 358. and 9mm 308, 264.). But want to improve my skill and move to next level. Hopefully I can make a good cast hunting load for my 7 mm Mauser/ 12 ga over under by next deer season. Also I would like to make some good cast loads for my krag and advice on cast loads for the K 31. At this time have mostly LEE molds and LEE press mounted lube sizers. Currently I use the cake cutter method or tumble lube. But now I am expecting a RCBS lubesizer I ordered of Ebay and may need advice as I enter the world of top punches and heated lubes. So thanks in advance
Norton

jdhenry
02-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Use the search option and you will find about all the info you need (AND THEN SOME) I never casted a boolit, smelted lead, or poured lead till about 3 weeks ago.. I did great with all the info I found on here. I just read anything I could find new and old... The only thing I'll warn you about is................................................

ONCE YOU POUR YOUR FIRST YOUR HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then you will start trying to find lots of lead. Then when you find some, then you start to think HMMMMMMMMMM that aint enough so you get more. So far It keeps happening to me. Its TONS OF FUN. SO ENJOY..................OH yea one last thing.............................When taking kitchen stuff IE: muffin pans,spoons,oven mitts, etc..... Check with your better half first:) I forgot that small detail. OOPS!!!

Jeremy

NVcurmudgeon
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
timmylee, welcome to the board. You can use the search function to get enough information to make your eyes glaze over. For specific questions, ask them here and look out for the stampede of casters rushing to answer! "NW Nevada?" Washoe County? Just a little south of Reno here. Notice the eighth annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot will be held in Winnemucca May 17-18-19. Just a little ways down Jungo Road for you.

Sundogg1911
02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
welcome to the world of cast bullets. there's so much information here it's almost unbelievable! I've never had a question unanswered. It's neat to see the different ways people do things too. It's not very often that I log on here and and don't learn something new.

TAWILDCATT
02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Does Any Body Belong To Cast Bullet Ass.i Just Joined $17 A Yr.they Sent A Manual{for Lack Of A Better Word]that Explans About Any Thing You Could Ask.

carpetman
02-23-2007, 02:28 PM
TAWILDCATT---I must say it sounds like you got ripped off. You got this manual for joining that "explains about ANYTHING you could ask. Here you are asking questions--the manual must not be too good.

NVcurmudgeon
02-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Does Any Body Belong To Cast Bullet Ass.i Just Joined $17 A Yr.they Sent A Manual{for Lack Of A Better Word]that Explans About Any Thing You Could Ask.

Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is, IMO, the best starting book. The "newest" edition was published in 1980, so it's a little dated, but still real good for the basics. The CBA book is another good one, written by joeb, a member here. Many of us here are CBA members. If you can find the old NRA book, it's still another good one.