PDA

View Full Version : Bedding New Stock for K-31??

leadman
11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm having a new stock made for my K-31. I will have a monte carlo comb, a pistol grip, and a wide flat forend. I normally just shoot this off my Leadsled with cast boolits.
When I took the action out of the stock I noticed the block under the front of the receiver was tight towards the front of the stock recess, while the rear of the trigger housing (integral with receiver) was tight to the rear of the stock in front of the tang. Normally on other bolt guns the front block (or recoil lug) would be tight to the rear of the recess in the stock.

Does anyone know if this is normal for these K-31s?

I asked on the SwissRifle forum but did not get a useful answer. I suppose I could have it glass bedded like a normal bolt gun and change it if it doesn't work. Would be nice to get it right the first time though.

Bob S
11-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I suppose I could have it glass bedded like a normal bolt gun and change it if it doesn't work.

That will work. It's the way my Grunig & Elmiger CISM rifle (on a 1954 K31 military action, heavy 7.62 x 51 barrel) is bedded, and I bedded a military barreled action in a Boyd's stock that way. It much more reliable than the military bedding system (which works pretty good, considering ..... ).

Pictures later ... here or at SRDC.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Bob S
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Leadman,

Response (two, actually) with pix are at your post on the SRDC.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

leadman
12-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks Bob S, I'll take a look.

I took at look at your rifle and think I will bed mine the same. Parashooter also had posted a picture with a good explanation of how the military adjusted the bedding.

A couple of other posts there were pretty snooty. What is up with that? I thought I had a valid question and had done searches before asking.