PDA

View Full Version : Lube types/brands.

Dthunter
11-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi guys!
This is my first post on this site.
I look forward to learning and sharing ideas etc.

I plan on shooting at 100-200+ yards, of course, depending on my results. I want to give myself some time to learn how to produce longer range cast bullet loads.

I have two types of Lyman Lubes to try.

1)Super Moly

2)Orange magic (premium lube)

I have used the Super Moly for about 1000 bullets, in various rifles/calibers and it seems fairly good.
I have never tried it for higher rifle velocities. "1500-2000fps.

Have any of you guys used either of these lubes for precision rifle shooting?

At present, I have some bullets Cast (Lyman #311291), 177 grains with my hard linotype alloy.
Sized to .309"
Gas checked of course.

I will be shooting a Remington700,Varmint Laminate in .308Winchester
Let me know what you guys know about these lubes.
straight shootin guys!

Maven
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
DThunter, I've used both of those lubes at velocities between 1,700fps - 1,800fps and on occasion ~1,900fps. and never had a problem with either. However, the Orange Magic requires a heat source and the Super Moly, which doesn't require a heat source, will stain anything it comes in contact with. Both are rather pricey too. Why not consider one of our sponsor's lar45 reasonably priced lubes instead? Here's a link to the site: http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Dthunter
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Maven!
I dont know if I can import this bullet lube without a large amount of paperwork.
I live in canada (Alberta).

Otherwise I would love to try some different types!
Do you know if I can get them accross the border legally?

If it is too much bother, I will have to look at formulating my own.

This site looks very interesting! This type of shooting is not very popular here.
I have always enjoyed shooting cast! Now I hope to see if I can work myself into achieving sub 1-1/2" groups.

Reload3006
11-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Lyman lubes are good but why not make your own? depending on what your shooting there are as many options on lube recipes as there are on mold designs. I have my own adaptation of the Darr recipe and there is the 50 beeswax 50 alox and the list goes on an on an on

To me casting and reloading and swaging is like learning to swim its a lot more comfortable to just jump in instead of tormenting your self by sticking your toes in the water LOL

Dthunter
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Lyman lubes are good but why not make your own? depending on what your shooting there are as many options on lube recipes as there are on mold designs. I have my own adaptation of the Darr recipe and there is the 50 beeswax 50 alox and the list goes on an on an on

To me casting and reloading and swaging is like learning to swim its a lot more comfortable to just jump in instead of tormenting your self by sticking your toes in the water LOL

I have been wanting to get more Serious about cast bullet shooting for years!
I am an experienced long range shooter (1000-1900 yards).
I really enjoy that, but like the idea of putting more of "me" into the reloading/cartridge assembly.
Makes it more rewarding for me.

Maven
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Dt, As Reload3006 suggested, why not make your own? There are a countless number of references on this site to Felix Lube or World Famous Felix Lube, so you may wish to search our archives for it. It is easy to make and works as well as the commercial lubes up to at least 1,900fps. Also, re importing lar45's lube to Canada, maybe you can email him and ask about it?

Dthunter
11-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Maven.
I am just itching to do some shootin! Lol!

Reload3006
12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
if you just have to LOL ... super moly is pretty good and easy to use flows well through the lubsizer. Just nasty is supposed to handle higher velocities but for higher pressure loads I like the harder stuff. Lyman also sells NRA 50/50 or used to. you may have to order it. Cabela's carries the Orange and Moly. at least the one close to me does.

Lizard333
12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I have used the Lyman orange and never had problems. I now use the carnuba red from white label. Way cheaper and a better product.