PDA

View Full Version : What are "small base" die sets?????

Roger Ronas
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
While looking thru fleabay at die sets I noticed that some say they are small base. What does that mean? Just curious.
Thanks in advance,
Roger

Reload3006
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Small base dies are extra tight fl sizing dies intended to be used to reload ammo for pump action semi auto action rifles

Roger Ronas
11-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Thank You. :-)

Small base dies are extra tight fl sizing dies intended to be used to reload ammo for pump action semi auto action rifles

Rokkit Syinss
11-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Small base dies are a solution looking for a problem IMHO. They are supposed to make it so rounds will always chamber in semi's and pumps but comments on various highpower related boards maybe 1 in 200 Ar-15's (service or match rifle configuration) needs anything tighter than a standard dies to reliably chamber a round. The ones you see on e-bay are probably being sold by highpower shooters that tried them and found they got better results with standard dies.

11-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I use them for the Garand. Some say they aren't needed. I'll continue to use them.

oneokie
11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Some lever guns require small base sizing dies.

hk33ka1
11-29-2011, 11:56 PM
I've been using standard Lee and RCBS full length sizing dies in all my rifles including military and civilian semi autos and lever guns and have had no trouble chambering. The day I need a Small base die I will buy one, but so far it has not come. I think most loaders are in the same boat.

Mk42gunner
11-30-2011, 12:35 AM
I have a RCBS small based die set in .30-06 that I have no idea of where or when I bought it. I do use it occassionally when I am forming brass, but I have never resized a single .30-06 with it.

To me the main purpose of the small based die is to return a piece of brass fired in a sloppy chamber (such as an M-60) to factory specs; in theory a standard resizing die won't get the whole case small enough, due to brass springback.

Robert

Ronbo256
11-30-2011, 01:00 AM
I use RCBS small base dies for my .223, I pick up a lot of range brass and never know what it was fired in, plus a lot of surplus brass has been fired in a m249 SAW and needs to be taken down to the proper size. It's just a bit of extra insurance to make sure my reloads fit in my Mini-14's chamber. If I loaded .223 for a bolt action, then I wouldn't even bother to FL size them, and I'd keep the ammo separate from the .223 "blaster" ammo.

41 mag fan
11-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I bought 2 AR's back to back 1 day apart, earlier in the spring, both had feeding issues. Went to sm base sizer, problem solved.
1 was a Stag, the other a Colt.
I'll never need a standard 223 sizer again, the sm base sizer will fill all needs for me.

Reload3006
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I have them in .243 and 30-06 i had an old 742 .243 and my uncles 30-06 had tight chambers they answered a problem for me. I dont have a semi .243 any more and i just use fl or neck but its good to have the option. having dies sets is kind of like having molds...
Hello My name is Dan and I am a reloadaholic

Mk42gunner
11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
I have them in .243 and 30-06 i had an old 742 .243 and my uncles 30-06 had tight chambers they answered a problem for me. I dont have a semi .243 any more and i just use fl or neck but its good to have the option. having dies sets is kind of like having molds...
Hello My name is Dan and I am a reloadaholic

Hi Dan, me too.

I bought a 742 this spring (cheap) and thought I would finally have a use for my SB die. Alas, I traded it off for a Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington, without ever loading for it.

Still have the die though.

Robert

MtGun44
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Small base dies take the ammo all the way back to SAAMI specs, which is only necessary in
a minority of guns, usually ones that flex during firing or have weak camming action to force
a slightly oversized round that last tiny bit into the chamber.

Bill

high standard 40
11-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Small base dies are a solution looking for a problem IMHO. They are supposed to make it so rounds will always chamber in semi's and pumps but comments on various highpower related boards maybe 1 in 200 Ar-15's (service or match rifle configuration) needs anything tighter than a standard dies to reliably chamber a round. The ones you see on e-bay are probably being sold by highpower shooters that tried them and found they got better results with standard dies.

I must have the 1 out of 200. My AR will not chamber rounds sized with my Redding Full Length die. I have to use a Small Base die to achieve reliable function. And I can still shoot sub-MOA 100 yard groups with it.

jeff423
12-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Slightly off topic, but I once bought some "once fired" 30-06 brass that must have been fired in a machine gun. Even after full length resizing most of it would not chamber in my Browning bolt action. I bought a Redding body die that bumped the shoulder back and that fixed the problem. It would have been cheaper to buy new brass.

Jeff

lesharris
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
It is true sb dies size to SAAMI specs.
That includes The base and web area of the cartridge,which is the area where expansion occurs in oversized chambers etc.
I have only needed the sb dies twice in over 40 years of reloading.
Once in some 7.62/308 brass that was fired in machineguns and once in loading .243 for a Remington pump action rifle.
The 7.62/308 reqired only regular fl dies after using the sb dies,not so for the 243 Remington pump. Less camming action in seating the loaded round.

EDK
12-11-2011, 01:17 AM
I use them for the Garand. Some say they aren't needed. I'll continue to use them.

Loading for TWO M1As...and using once fired military brass. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY has a handout on slam fires included with your rifle when they send it back to you. I'll try the regular dies at a later date.

One of the step sons had a slam fire or fired my 30 year old BRUSH RIFLE out of battery awhile back...trashed the stock, rear sight and magazine. I sent it to SPRINGFIELD for their TECH INSPECTION...bad bolt and receiver too. I got a new gun with the same serial number for $500...synthetic stock and handguard, scout scope mount, new style muzzle brake/flash suppressor and new rear sight.

I did get smart and bought 500 prepped military casings for $95 on gunbroker. File and trim dies/case trimmers and primer pocket swages get old real quick!

Is the DILLON case trimmer on a small base die? It is starting to look like what I need to get if I shoot the M1As very much.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck::guntootsmiley: