PDA

View Full Version : S&w 625JM CROWN

GREYGHOST
11-29-2011, 01:34 AM
I just picked up a new 625JM. Everything looked first class except for the muzzle crown. While the rifling did not look damaged, the crown continuing out from the rifling edge had chatter marks all the way around it, and looked like someone had used my pocket knife to cut it with. I plan to shoot it anyway first before making any hasty decisions. Has anyone else noticed this on their newer 625's? This one was test fired 11-17-11. Appreciate input/experiences.

Thanks,
Joe

x101airborne
11-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Yep. Mine has the same muzzle crown. Chattered the heck up. But, my wife likes it and chose it over the 38 spl. Taurus. It still shoots ok, but I too wonder what it would shoot like with a clean muzzle. Good nuff, though with minute of man accuracy with full house (or hotter) loads.

GREYGHOST
11-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Hope to get some rounds loaded up in a couple days & make a trip to the range. Who knows, maybe it will surprise me. I do know that my 629 Stealth has the recessed crown and it is extremely accurate with cast or jacketed.

Dale53
11-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I have a pair of 625's and they both have nice crowns. If my crown was damaged, I would be on the phone to Smith.

Alternately, a good local pistol smith can correct for a reasonable fee.

Dale53

warf73
11-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Hope it shoots good for ya, but if it didn't I would have s&w make it right.

GREYGHOST
11-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have had to send the last two Performance Center Revolvers back to S&W for deficiencies in them that should never have left the shop with. Both were 629'S. They did address the problems and both guns shot well after their return. However, I'm at the age now where I don't like to frequently send stuff back or repair it myself and my time is as valuable to me as theirs is to them. I agree with you Dale53, if it doesn't shoot reasonably well, I will either take it to the local smith (only have one here where I live) or order a recrown tool from Manson Reamers and do it myself.