PDA

View Full Version : oversized boolits

siamese4570
11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a 6 hole lee mold that I got from a group buy here. It is the 180 gr rf nose gas checked boolit. Have cast from this mold before and it worked well. I size and attach the gc with a lee .358 push thru sizer. I cast a bunch of bolits with this mold the other day and I can't get the gas check on. The base of the boolit is too big. Casting from clip on wheel weights. Any suggestions?

siamese4570

Boolseye
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
It worked before but not now?? Strange...I don't usually use pure Wheel Weights, too hard for most boolits. Perhaps too big, too. Sorry, not much help...though if it worked before, you may just want to stick with that alloy.

DLCTEX
11-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Look carefully for lead or a burr that is preventing the mould closing properly. Also if you squeeze the sprue handle while casting it can cause the mould to open slightly, creating a "beagle" condition, or larger boolit. If it cast ok boolits before, then the mould is not oversized.

Wayne S
11-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Check if there is any smeared lead on the under side of the sprue plate or on the mold. something mey be causing the sprue plat from not sitting flat against the mold causing a little flashing on the GC shank.
Take a fine file and turn a bullets GC shank on it, putting a slight bevel on the shank, if the GC fits, than that is the problem, the cause could be a build up, or your grip on the handles.
Keep us posted on what you find

geargnasher
11-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Look carefully for lead or a burr that is preventing the mould closing properly. Also if you squeeze the sprue handle while casting it can cause the mould to open slightly, creating a "beagle" condition, or larger boolit. If it cast ok boolits before, then the mould is not oversized.

+1 on a speck of lead or burr between the blocks and/or gripping all three handles when filling the mould which will cam open the blocks slightly, especially the latter.

Gear

siamese4570
11-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys, I think that I may have been gripping all three handles. Checked for flash on the base of the boolits, nothing there. I'll recast and pay attention to not gripping all three handles.

siamese4570