PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Costs

northmn
11-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I am getting another reality check on my 35 Remington. Looking at getting reloading gear for it. Cost of dies about $30.00 (Lee three die set), mold about $70.00 and gas checks about $30.00. Jacketed bullets about $30.00. I have a sizing die and possibly a top punch (may be able to go as cast). I can buy factory loads at a local hardware store for about $23.00. I have primers and powders on hand.
Have to shoot the rifle a lot to pay for casting, even jacketed. Its a great deer rifle but I have other rifles I also shoot a bit. Tend to carry my 32-20 a lot. 38-55 sees a steady diet of cast. Really wish Lee would make a decent 35 cal rifle mold. I do not have a 6 cavity set of handles for RD whcih makes them spendier.
Really have to decide how much value I can place on "satisfaction" for making my own.

DP

fecmech
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Try this on for size: Buy the mold you want,cast a lot of bullets with it and then sell it on the board. By the time your done that mold may really be only $20-$25. If you can find the mold you want here on the board, even better.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
35 R is pretty low pressure. Neck size with 38 Special die, decap with a punch, prime with a dowel, neck expand with 38 M die or powder through. Load with a GC 174 grain swc w/o sizing in 38 seat die, roll crimp in a 9mm f/l.

A deer can't stand 180 grains of lead through the ribs from a 35 R. BvT

Reload3006
11-28-2011, 05:41 PM
you can buy a Lee for around 25. but reloading costs money. some times its not getting there but the trip that makes it an adventure. As I tell my wife all the time in the long run its cheaper than beer whiskey and dope LOL.

SkookumJeff
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I just went through this myself. You're right, it's expensive up front. The only way to justify the investment is with LOTS OF SHOOTING....

That's MY plan anyway.

northmn
11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I plan on reloading for the rifle, Just thinking out loud as to how much to get into it. I do have a bunch of 357 bullet molds at about 160 grains. Make good plinkers, but I really don't know how much I would plink witht he 35 Rem. Do a lot with the 32-20. It would take a couple hundred rounds to break even. Guess I could justify that.

DP

SkookumJeff
11-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Seriously, if I were in your shoes, I'd buy a box or two of shells for now, IF you find yourself doing more shooting than you expected, then pull the trigger on the reloading tools. You'll gain some brass with the loaded ammo. In my case, I could not find any 35 Remington ammunition locally except for Hornady ammo, and I won't use Hornady brass for reloading, nor do I like the booger tipped bullets so buying ammo locally was not an option. So to shoot I had to spool up for reloading. I have a similar situation to yours in 45 ACP, I am the proud new owner of a Ruger 1911 pistol. This is my first 45 ACP, all my other pistols are 9mm or 40 S&W. I reload for those so for now, I'm just going to buy my 45 ACP ammo. I expect I will cast/load for this cartridge sometime in the future, just not now. All my handgun casting/shooting is currently focused on .357 mag and .44 mag in my revolvers, and along with my big bore lever guns I'm more than busy at the bench.

TXGunNut
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Went thru that last night myself:
RCBS Cowboy Dies............$55
Ranch Dog moulds.............$44
Mould Handles...................$13
Lee Lube & Sizer...............$17
Gas Checks.......................$27
Bag of 50 WW brass.........$27

Firing a new-to-me catridge that most folks will never experience...Priceless!:lol:

hornsurgeon
11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
IF anyone were to use factory ammo, be sure to use one loaded with either a remington coreloct or speer bullet. many others have had seperation issues, especially the sierra.

Bret4207
11-29-2011, 09:11 AM
That's all new gear, look for used stuff. Ebay may be more or less anti-gun, but there are still deals to be had on used stuff. Haunt your gun shops and ask about used die sets, partial boxes of gas checks, brass, etc. Pretty near any 35 cal mould will work in the 35 Rem, some may take single feeding. I KNOW you can find SWC moulds in good shape for under $20.00, in fact some days that's ALL you can find when looking for 35 cal moulds.

THe stuff is out there, you don;t have to buy brand new.

7of7
11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
...I can buy factory loads at a local hardware store for about $23.00. ...DP

That's $1.15 a round. Assuming you have brass, reloads would run 50-55 cents for jacketed bullets.. or about a 57% savings..
Of course, then you have to add in the set up cost.. as you mentioned.
7 boxes of commercial would pay for your dies.. and that is using jacketed bullets.

Figuring 34 bullets per pound of lead @ 2.00 lb (204 grain bullets) .. comes out to 6.00 per hundred (rounded up).. your cost per round is reduced to 25 cents a round.. it would then be 4 boxes of commercial ammo to pay for the mold... (that is figuring in the reduction in powder due to the use of cast lead bullets)

and that isn't figuring in your time...

So, are you going to put 4 boxes of ammo through this rifle?

btroj
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't shoot or cast to save money. I do it because I choose to and have a desire to make my own. I figure that long run I can shoot more for the same money.

Os there an initial outlay? Yes there is, you need to decide if that money is worth it.

Bret was right, there is lots of used equipment out there, look around and you can save a bundle.

northmn
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
That's $1.15 a round. Assuming you have brass, reloads would run 50-55 cents for jacketed bullets.. or about a 57% savings..
Of course, then you have to add in the set up cost.. as you mentioned.
7 boxes of commercial would pay for your dies.. and that is using jacketed bullets.
Figuring 34 bullets per pound of lead @ 2.00 lb (204 grain bullets) .. comes out to 6.00 per hundred (rounded up).. your cost per round is reduced to 25 cents a round.. it would then be 4 boxes of commercial ammo to pay for the mold... (that is figuring in the reduction in powder due to the use of cast lead bullets)
and that isn't figuring in your time...
So, are you going to put 4 boxes of ammo through this rifle?

That's the question. I plan on using the rifle a lot for deer hunting, but I fired it once this year at a deer, which ended the season as we are allowed one deer in my zone. Once sighted in, generally a good rifle scope combo stays in pretty well. I went for about 4 years shooting my 270 twice a season, once to see if it is sighted in and once to shoot a deer. I was busy then and shoot more now, but with squirrel rifles and smaller stuff. The cartridges are not uncommon as they are available at Gander Mountain, Reeds and Fleet. At Fleet they are about $23.00 and at the others about $28.00, all Remington 200 gr. Building up a brass collection before starting to reload is not all bad.
4 boxes of cartridges would last me a long time, also I do not know if a lot is gained reloading the cartridge as does a 32-20 or a similar cartridge. I really did like the cast bullet combo for my 30-30, but sometimes with work and other projects it is nice just to load or buy shells. I reload steel shtshell cartridges and buy a lot of them also. Makes one think?

DP

TXGunNut
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I guess it's our own private good news/bad news joke.
"Bought a rifle in a new chambering today. Good news is I need new stuff. Bad news is... I need new stuff." ;) I used to figure it was $100 min to get into a new cartridge. Now that I cast it's closer to $200 if I buy new stuff. I don't have the patience or time to troll the gun shops but that would be pretty cool, no telling what kind of moulds you'd find doing that.
I very seldom get into a new cartridge, a recent one was 45-70 and that meant having to get into casting as well, quite an investment for me and I somewhat overdid it. Turned out to be worth every penny and every item is still in use. :smile: Last new one was the 30-30 and all I needed was dies and bullets. Been shooting factory because it was so cheap for years but decided it was worthwhile to load for recently. That "new" cartridge was pretty cheap to get into.
New chamberings are exciting projects but you can proceed at your own pace. Maybe RD will put his moulds on sale next month, maybe you'll run across a deal on dies or components. Amazing what comes along if you can sit back & wait or troll a bit.
I'm just getting into cast boolits for my 35 and it looks like it's going to be fun. When I get a handle on the RD boolits I'd be happy to send you a handful to tide you over.

Mk42gunner
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
"Bought a rifle in a new chambering today. Good news is I need new stuff. Bad news is... I need new stuff." I used to figure it was $100 min to get into a new cartridge. Now that I cast it's closer to $200 if I buy new stuff.

That's pretty close to what it costs. I set up to load the .35 Remington this year: RCBS dies, Hornady 200 gr RN Jwords a bag of Remington brass and a pound of H335 to try, for right at $100. I already had 3031 on the shelf. RCBS calls for a diferent shellholder, but Lee says the one for an '06 works, so that is what I used this time.

I still have to get a rifle mold and .359 or .360" sizing die, I have gaschecks on hand.

The cheapest I found ammo was $26.99 and $27.99 at Cabela's, (I don't remember which price went with which brand). For leass than the cost of four boxes of factory loads, I have enough components to load five boxes and still have leftovers.

The cost of starting fresh with a new bore size has made me stop and think a time or two.

One thing about it, I don't see equipment or component costs going down any time soon.

Robert

TXGunNut
12-02-2011, 09:56 PM
The cost of starting fresh with a new bore size has made me stop and think a time or two.

One thing about it, I don't see equipment or component costs going down any time soon.
Mk42gunner

Yes, it's a consideration that has kept me from exploring a few cartridges but it's a trade-off I need to make, Robert. Quite honestly when I get into a new cartridge it becomes a "project" and my project list as it stands today will keep me busy for several years without any more new rifles or cartridges. It's not just costs, sometimes it's about the time we have available for the hobby.
I've never fired a factory .35 Rem round, likely never will. Same goes for .45 Colt, 45-90 and quite likely for the 32 Special as well. Not being snobby, just that my first 35 was a Contender and I didn't think factory rounds would work in it. I probably can't or won't afford 45 Colt or 45-90's off the shelf and the 32 was purchased expressly as a CB project.
Components seem quite reasonable to me these days considering what we saw several months ago. Well-made equipment will outlast me and there are few things I buy these days that I can say that about.
I think the 35 Rem is well worth the initial investment but then again, I never tried the factory offerings. I doubt my handloaded 200 gr Colokt J-bullets will do anything that a factory load won't do but I had the dies and bullets. I'm just starting to explore CB's in that cartridge but all that took was moulds and a sizing die.

Gtek
12-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Has anyone ever seen the bumper sticker
" THE ONE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS"
Life is so very short, if everybody around you is healthy, happy, maybe a couple new toys under the tree for northmn would be a good thing! Gtek

Fat-beeman
12-02-2011, 10:38 PM
if your not able to jump in to reloading 35 ask around for some trades, I load for 35 rem for yrs. lee makes a heavy bullet for 38 cal. buy a push thru die cast your own. as far as gas checks more people are makeing them with coke cans. I have several check makers, and have traded lead bullets for cases and other things. got a 204 gr. lyman on e bay used for under 25.00. in fact last deer I shot I did it with 180gr xtp bullets with 37 gr of 3031@ 140 yds. dropped in tracks. these are hollow points for self defence and for pistol they work well in 35 remI run them at 2460 fps.
but have ran cast with my own gas made out of coke cans and killed deer out to 150 yrds 35 is best brush gun I used.
Don

TXGunNut
12-02-2011, 10:51 PM
" THE ONE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS"
Life is so very short, if everybody around you is healthy, happy, maybe a couple new toys under the tree for northmn would be a good thing! Gtek

I'm hoping DP finds what he's wishing for under the tree in a few weeks. I think he'll get some good use out of casting & reloading eqpt for that grand old cartridge. Same age as the .30-06, BTW. If I hadn't started out with the Contender 20+ yrs ago I'd likely never have bought the 336 in .35 Rem, if I had I'm not sure I'd be loading for it. Sure am glad I do, tho.
Have indeed heard that saying, have adopted it as my motto. Hope none of my toys go to the estate sale marked "NIB". Furthermore hope all my guns are nicely worn and all ammo boxes empty when that time comes. [smilie=l:

Mk42gunner
12-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Mk42gunner

Yes, it's a consideration that has kept me from exploring a few cartridges but it's a trade-off I need to make, Robert. Quite honestly when I get into a new cartridge it becomes a "project" and my project list as it stands today will keep me busy for several years without any more new rifles or cartridges. It's not just costs, sometimes it's about the time we have available for the hobby.

I wholeheartedly agree; I too have enough projects to keep me busy for a few years if I really wring them out. For me it isn't just time, for about the last three years my back has been seriously bothering me, but luckily now it is starting to feel better and I am getting interested in doing more with my guns. Funny how if you don't feeel good, you don't feel like mesing with hobbies.

I've never fired a factory .35 Rem round, likely never will. Same goes for .45 Colt, 45-90 and quite likely for the 32 Special as well. Not being snobby, just that my first 35 was a Contender and I didn't think factory rounds would work in it. I probably can't or won't afford 45 Colt or 45-90's off the shelf and the 32 was purchased expressly as a CB project.

I have a few guns that I haven't fired any factory loads through; my new to me .35 Remington, an 1879 Argentine Rolling BLock and a Husqvarne .25-20 lead the list. In .45 Colt I have bought a grand total of one box of PMC cowboy loads to hold me over until my order of Starline brass came in.
Components seem quite reasonable to me these days considering what we saw several months ago. Well-made equipment will outlast me and there are few things I buy these days that I can say that about.
I think the 35 Rem is well worth the initial investment but then again, I never tried the factory offerings. I doubt my handloaded 200 gr Colokt J-bullets will do anything that a factory load won't do but I had the dies and bullets. I'm just starting to explore CB's in that cartridge but all that took was moulds and a sizing die.

I tend to like oddball cartridges; and the further from the mainstream you go the more expensive factory loads are, making loading dies and supplies relatively cheap. For example: I priced a box of .25-20 Winchester (Remington 86gr JSP) last month--sit down and swallow your coffee before reading-- $62.00/ 50 rounds.

Sometimes you can get a deal on guns in uncommon calibers due entirely to ammo availability.

Since dies are generally under $40, particularly if you don't mind buying used, it doesn't take more than a box or two of shells to pay for them. molds and gaschecks the same.

I keep saying I am going to wait to buy anymore guns, but then deals come out of the woodwork. I haven't shot very many guns that I would refuse to own, although a Walther PPK/s did cut my hand with the slide.

Robert

TXGunNut
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I keep saying I am going to wait to buy anymore guns, but then deals come out of the woodwork.-Mk42gunner

Exactly! As I mentioned on another thread a guy at Cabela's Library told me they'd had many interesting guns come in lately, some were still in the back. He's just a part-timer and I had to show him a few things about old rifles but he's got me curious. You can bet I'll be cruising the used rifle rack and Library again this weekend. That's how I finally found my 336 .35 Rem last year, been looking for it for years. Well worth the wait, taking it hunting next week! Wish I'd gotten my CB load worked up in time. :-( Will focus on this and other projects early in 2012.

Four Fingers of Death
12-03-2011, 11:32 PM
I have always wanted a 35 Remington, but have never laid eyes on one in Australia.

TXGunNut
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Not terribly popular over here for some reason, present company excepted. It's a medium caliber round of modest velocity, as you know, and that doesn't seem to excite the average shooter. I was introduced to it when I wanted to order a T/C Contender in a hunting caliber 25 years ago. I wanted a .375 Win barrel to complement my Big Bore but my friend (the LGS owner) talked me into the 35. I'd never heard of it. It's a wonderful round on paper and game but it'll never be a popular round. That's OK by me but it's a bummer you can't find one to play with.

Four Fingers of Death
12-05-2011, 03:53 AM
I will find one eventually, or I will pick up a beater 336 and rebarrel it. The last thing I need is another levergun, buttttttttttttt, it would be nice. :) I'm a sick man.

fishnbob
12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Really have to decide how much value I can place on "satisfaction" for making my own.

DP

I'll tell you my 2cents worth. I've been casting BP boolits for 30 yrs now, pistol boolits for 10 yrs and rifle boolits for a little over a year. Rifle boolits are a whole different animal from anything else I've ever done. Your alloy must be consistently good, your alloy temps are critical & must be consistent. Sizing boolits is critical. I have found that sometimes the chamber is smaller than the bore, just enough to make chambering tight. It is in MHO that it is critical to size the chamber, freebore and bore and KNOW the configuration of the boolit you will cast to avoid the heartbreak of having a $100 mold that would work about as well as casting fishing sinkers. That is my .02, YMMV. Obviously I am learning the hard way. The main reason I cast or try to cast rifle boolits is I figure that if I live long enough, one of these days, you may not be able to by ammo.:mad:

Olevern
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Guess I'm about to spring for a new set of dies (probably the most expensive I've ever purchased) in 11X59 mm for a French mdl 1874 gras carbine I picked up last year at a gun show. Been looking for an extractor for it for quite sometime, tried all the usual resources stateside, eventually found one in (where else) France.

It should be on the way to me, paid just shy of $50.00 for it with shipping from France.

The dollar is still well below the euro despite their problems over there but it is what it is.

This is France's first breachloading (single shot) military rifle and the one I got is pristine for a 137 year old gun.

I saw it, it intrieged me, and I bought it.

Now that I have found the part it was missing, I turn to finding the requisite dies for forming and loading.

I found the RCBS (special order) forming die at Midway for $167.99 and the three die loading set (RCBS special order) for $282.99 (ouch)

So, how is my experience with this oddball rifle revelant to this thread, you ask?

Just as it relates to my advice to avoid odd ball calibers if you want to save money reloading :)

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_6965.jpg

7of7
12-09-2011, 02:19 AM
That's the question. I plan on using the rifle a lot for deer hunting, but I fired it once this year at a deer, which ended the season as we are allowed one deer in my zone. Once sighted in, generally a good rifle scope combo stays in pretty well. I went for about 4 years shooting my 270 twice a season, once to see if it is sighted in and once to shoot a deer. I was busy then and shoot more now, but with squirrel rifles and smaller stuff. The cartridges are not uncommon as they are available at Gander Mountain, Reeds and Fleet. At Fleet they are about $23.00 and at the others about $28.00, all Remington 200 gr. Building up a brass collection before starting to reload is not all bad.
4 boxes of cartridges would last me a long time, also I do not know if a lot is gained reloading the cartridge as does a 32-20 or a similar cartridge. I really did like the cast bullet combo for my 30-30, but sometimes with work and other projects it is nice just to load or buy shells. I reload steel shtshell cartridges and buy a lot of them also. Makes one think?

DP
Good points.. if you only shoot it a few times a year, and plan on keeping it.. even at 4 shots a year, those four boxes will last you 20 years.. So,... very good points..
I have a 30-30 too. I make jacketed bullets for it... 130 grain flat nosed hollow points.. I also load for 30.06, 45, 357, and haven't used my shotshell loader in a year.. It is set up, however, I changed powder, and need to get some different wads.. (possibly a round toit, so I can get around to it..)
I do understand that, in some cases, it is much more cost effective to buy the ammo.. Right now, I have quite a bit of trigger time for all my firearms stored in the drawers... waiting to go to the range.. or hunting..