PDA

View Full Version : 6 Cavity Molds?

metweezer
11-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Is Lee the only manufacturer to make 6 cavity molds for 9mm?

seagiant
11-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi,
I have a MiHec 6cav. in the H&G#68 clone but it was a GB deal. Tom at accurate molds is now making 5 cav. thats the way I would go if I was in your shoes!!!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Artful
11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
No, but Lee is the most inexpensive (and good bang for the buck)

to my knowledge

Mi-Hec, H&G, NEI have all made 6 cavity

NOE stops at 5 Cavity on a single side

Lyman, SEACO stops at 4 cavity

RCBS stops at 2 cavity

casterofboolits
11-28-2011, 07:55 PM
All my six cavity moulds are H&G. I had an NEI six cavity that I trash canned. Pure junk!

MikeS
11-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Well, if you're asking if Lee is the only company that CURRENTLY makes 6 cavity moulds on a production basis, the answer is yes. If you're asking if they're the only company that ever made 6 cavity moulds, the answer would be no. Some of the custom mould makers that make group buy moulds here have made 6 cavity moulds, but that's not an on-going thing. H&G used to make 6, 8, and 10 cavity moulds along with their 2 & 4 cavity moulds, and as Ballisticast now has the H&G tooling, there's a chance they might also still make them, but if they did, they won't be cheap! SAECO used to make 6 & 8 cavity moulds, but now only makes up to 4 cavity moulds. I have a SAECO 8 cavity mould I got used, and other than issues caused by the former owner, it casts nice boolits.

NOE a custom mould maker that makes many group buy moulds here makes 10 cavity moulds, but they're 2 sided moulds, 5 on each side. I would love to try one of those one of these days.

quasi
11-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Ranchdog sells 6 cavity moulds, but they are made for him by Lee.

happy7
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Balliticast does make six cavity. Price: $300

grubbylabs
12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Tom at Accurate Molds makes a 5 cavity as mentioned above and I have been really happy with the 2-4 cavity molds I have bought from him.

MikeS
12-04-2011, 04:29 AM
While 6 cavity moulds are nice, I think once you get to 4 cavities that the extra 2 cavities don't really add up to THAT much more. I would rather have a 4 cavity brass mould than a 6 cavity aluminum mould. But that's just me.

On another note, I just bought a 4 cavity H&G #163 mould (basically a #130 but with 2 smaller lube grooves) that looks like it's in nice shape, so I'll finally find out if the H&G moulds truly are better than the Mihec/NOE/Accurate Molds moulds are. I already have a 10 cavity #73 mould, but it's been so abused in it's life that it's almost junk. I've been meaning to send it to Erik at hollowpointmold.com to see if he can salvage it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet, and it's not high on the priority list, as the mould is for a 38cal boolit, and I only have one 38, and it's a snubby, so I don't shoot it too often.

ballisti-cast
12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
We do make 6 cavity molds. We are changing a lot of our prices to be more competitive so if anyone is interested give us a call and we can work something out for substantially less then $300.

shotstring
12-24-2011, 04:41 AM
I thought ballisti-cast had to shut its doors. If you are still making molds with the old H & G tooling that is music to one's ears!

cbrick
12-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I thought ballisti-cast had to shut its doors. If you are still making molds with the old H & G tooling that is music to one's ears!

New owners. I haven't bought one yet but I've heard nothing but good about them. There will be a Ballisti-Cast mold or two in my future.

Rick