PDA

View Full Version : standard & tumble lube on one boolit

Boolseye
11-28-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm trying this on some 9mm boolits, in hopes of virtually eliminating leading.
Anyone else do this? First I pan lubed 'em, then sized, then tumble lubed.

VA Shooter
11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I size and lube my 45 colt and 327 Fed mag then tumble lube them and it works fine

EMC45
11-28-2011, 01:13 PM
I do all my bullets like that. I have been chastised for doing double work, but I honestly think it makes a difference. If it makes a difference on Lee's Tumble Lube bullets why wouldn't it make a difference when using it and traditional lube?

Reload3006
11-28-2011, 11:45 PM
I pan lubed some PB Boolits I swaged ... then got worried that maybe I didnt get a good lube on them so I tumbled them in LLA they worked pretty good no leading but they sure did gunk up the seating stem on my loader pretty bad .. some times too much of a good thing aint so good. LOL

41 mag fan
11-29-2011, 08:08 AM
You might try Bens Red as a tumble lube. I've thought about trying it with this 45 ACP mold I have from Lee.
I just tested some about 40-50 loads on my 500 going to within 1 grain of max and had no leading issues.

Ben
11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I've pushed .358 dia. 158 gr. SWC, Lee Tumble Lube bullets into a Lyman 45 loaded with Ben's Red and lubed all the rings with Ben's Red.

Shot great, very accurate and no leading !

Boolseye
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I've pushed .358 dia. 158 gr. SWC, Lee Tumble Lube bullets into a Lyman 45 loaded with Ben's Red and lubed all the rings with Ben's Red.
That was something else I've been thinking about.

azrednek
11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm trying this on some 9mm boolits, in hopes of virtually eliminating leading.
Anyone else do this? First I pan lubed 'em, then sized, then tumble lubed.

I doubt that not having enough lube is the cause for leading. I can't see the double lubing doing any harm though. Very simply if it fixes your leading problem, go for it.

noylj
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
When I buy commercial cast bullets and get any leading, I go back and tumble lube in LLA. If I get leading with my cast bullets, I go back and tumble lube in LLA.
I find one or two coats of LLA to work wonders on undersized or leading bullets.
Rooster Jacket does not work quite as well.

EMC45
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
When I buy commercial cast bullets and get any leading, I go back and tumble lube in LLA. If I get leading with my cast bullets, I go back and tumble lube in LLA.
I find one or two coats of LLA to work wonders on undersized or leading bullets.
Rooster Jacket does not work quite as well.

This is what got me started double lubing. Before I started casting I would buy comercial cast and tumble lube them. It just carried over from those days.