PDA

View Full Version : New Win (BC Miroku) Highwall in 38-55

captaint
11-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Where to begin?? OK, two years ago I bought a new Win Highwall in 38-55. I was itching to shoot it, however nobody had brass. Took 5 months to get the Starline 2.125 cases. Then I got the Lee 250 gr mold and later an LBT 250 gr LFN gas check mold. Cast up about 100 of the LBT boolits this past summer and sized and loobed them last week. All ready to go.
Based on what I had heard, I expected this rifle to shoot at least decent. So today I take my new rifle and first time loaded 38-55 ammo and headed to the range. I had loaded up 30 rounds of one powder and 20 of another. After getting sighted in and on the spot at 50 yards, we backed off to 100. The results, for me at least were outstanding. A little more sight adjustment and we started shooting for real. My last 3 shot group measured under 3/4 inch. I couldn't believe it. I had replaced the front sight blade with a globe type with a fine crosswire insert. Using that with the rear tang gave a nice sight picture.
I did not expect results that good - for me, at least. The 50 yard load was 21.0 grains of IMR 4198. The 100 yard rounds were 29.0 grains of 3031. Got both loads from Ken Waters complete fav loads. The velocity of the 100 yard loads was approx 1600 fps. Actually the listed load was 33 grains of 3031, but never having loaded this ammo, or fired this rifle, I backed it off 10%, plus.
I'll say this - that steel curved buttplate ain't no fun. I had taken a piece of lambs wool with the hide on for padding. Glad I did that, for sure.
I loaded all rounds to just touch the rifling. The OAL is 2.494. The LBT boolits were sized to .3782. There was some unburned powder in the barrel, always. Boolits were 14 on the BHN meter. What a great time!! I'll have to do this again, soon.
enjoy Mike

NickSS
11-28-2011, 06:32 AM
I shoot a lot of 38-55 ammo mostly for 200 yard BPCR shoots. I load a Lyman 250 PB bullet over 43 gr FFG Shutzen and at 200 yards it groups into around 3 inches for 10 shots in my C Sharps High Wall. With smokeless I shoot 18 gr of AA 5744 which shoots as good as my black powder loads at the same range. Your Winchester sounds like it is a shooter and you should have years of fun with it.

captaint
11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Nick - As it happened, I was talking to a gentleman at the range yesterday. He owns a C. Sharps Highwall in 38-55. Said his will hold a minute of angle out to 300 yards. And he, too, was talking about 10 shot groups. That's amazing for metallic sights. I admire you guys that can shoot that well. I guess I'll have to work on my game. Been thinking about getting a 300 gr mold and see if I can get that to shoot well. Then, I might try some silhouette shooting myself. Gonna have to find some AA 5744 also. A lot of guys seem to be using that powder with success. enjoy Mike

blackpowder man
11-29-2011, 09:15 PM
The RCBS bpcr mold works good in my Miroku 38-55. I think it is 312 grains or somewhere close. Everytime I shoot it I am amazed at how accurate it is.

captaint
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks, bp man - Next time I go mold shopping, I'll keep that in mind. I will have to have a 300 or so grain mold one of these days, I'm sure. Mike