PDA

View Full Version : 94 Win in .32 Win Followed Me Home!

TXGunNut
11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Honest.;) I was minding my own business trying to find a new 3-piece collet for my RCBS inertia bullet puller and happened to see a nice enough-actually very nice-94 Wichester in the used gun rack. I've been curious about that cartridge and passed on some pretty rough 94's in .32 Win several months back. Wood is plain walnut and the receiver is higly polished with a few very light scratches. Pictures don't do it justice, it's an honest 95% gun but I wouldn't argue with a 98% rating. Careful inspection of the loading gate, elevator and bolt face makes me think it may not have been fired since it left the factory, 20 rounds max. Ser #3243XXX. Paid too much-$479-but don't think I'll ever see one that clean in that price range. They were asking that for the beaters several months ago.
Saw a nice enough Browning 92 in .44 Mag that almost made for a twofer night.
Didn't have the collet, BTW.:groner:

Wheeler
11-27-2011, 11:10 PM
My Dad had a pre '64 model that he gave to my brother. Those are great guns and a great caliber.

rmcc
11-27-2011, 11:55 PM
PM me your address, I think I have a handful of shells you can have.

Rich

TXGunNut
11-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks, Rich. Have no idea what I'm going to do with this rifle yet. I think I can neck up some .30-30's if I decide to load it but will let you know. Any experience with this cartridge?

jlchucker
11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
A gunsmith buddy of mine has routinely fireformed 32 special brass from 30-30. He's also done the same when he's needed brass for 32-40. You should have no problems fireforming your own from 30-30 cases. Somethinge else: That's a late-1960's rifle you've found there, TX. At some point the tin cartridge lifter in there will fail and you'll be jamming every round you try to lever in. But that may happen right away or it may take years. My brothers all had 94's of that vintage, and one experienced the problem right away, and ended up with the then-newly released Winchester investment-cast replacement. Another brother, some 30 years later is still using his now well-used 94 with its original stamped cartridge carrier. Just so's you're aware. Good luck. It looks like you've got a nice piece that should no doubt work very well with boolits.

northmn
11-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Winchester prices vary such that I would not makes any claims to value. I paid about that for a Marlin in 35 Remington, mostly because it was just what I wanted in a Marlin 35. Have not seen one available in its condition before nor since. The 32 special is a great old cartridge with lots of potential.

DP

Larry Gibson
11-28-2011, 02:32 PM
'Nother thread going on about the .32 SPL, might check it out.

I recommend the RCBS 32-170-FN for that cartridge....excellent.

Larry Gibson

59sharps
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Love mine great deer gun Started deer hunting w/ one 43 yrs ago. my son has been using it for the last 4 yrs. Shoots dead on out to 150 yrds.

TXGunNut
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
I understand about occasionally paying too much for something I've been looking for, DP, found a mint 336 in 35 Rem myself last year. I like rifles with character but can't resist a nearly new gun.
RD had his mold on sale, Larry, looking hard at the RCBS as well. I think a GG boolit may suit my needs better but haven't decided how I'm going to use this rifle. Will check out the thread, thanks. 32 Special gets lots of mention around here but couldn't find a thread in the load section yesterday. I've been curious about the cartridge for years and so many folks around here like it I just had to see what all the fuss was about.
I prefer RP brass so it looks like I'll have to form my own, ordered GC's, a bag of WW factory brass and the RCBS Cowboy die set to get the party started.:-)

TXGunNut
11-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Had a bit of what I assumed was powder residue in the bore so I filled it with Wipe-Out foam and let it sit overnight. No lead or jacket material on any patch, just old oil residue and dust. Did they test-fire rifles before they left the plant?
I'm wondering if this rifle has ever been fired.

FromTheWoods
11-29-2011, 01:59 AM
.32 WS brass is still available.
(If you are like most '94 shooters, you have, or will soon have, a .30 WCF--so why not avoid a potential problem, and just spring for the proper brass!)

.32 Special is an excellent rifle/cartridge. Shot my first and many deer with one.

I hope you enjoy your NEW toy!

northmn
11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
My take on the 32 special and the 35 Remington, both of which are stated to be better than the 30-30 is that on paper they look pretty darn close. One gun writer said that if the power were TNT a chipmunk could not blow its nose with the difference between them.
My opinion, which is just that, is that the 30-30 has been used a lot with the 170 grain bullet. An individual that I went to school with has used the 30-30 to shoot more deer than I have with all my guns combined. He mentioned going 26 straight one shot kills with one, when he counted. He told me to use the 150 as it expands better. It was not bad advice as I have used that bullet and so has my daughter and it works. The one time I had an expansion problem was with a 170.
I personally believe that a larger bore will expand more reliably due to its larger frontal area. Also the 32 special is about 100 fps faster than the 30-30 out of the same barrel length with a 170 grain bullet. The difference is not in "power", but in performance. While the 170 30-30 does generally expand it may not do so as well as the others. I personally feel the 32 special is a better cartridge than the 30-30 with more potential, but it is more uncommon.
I would buy the 32 special brass as I tried forming brass for an 8mm Mauser out of 30-06 and it did not work as well as the brass made for it.

DP

Got-R-Did
11-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Midway has Hornady .32 Win Spl. ammo on sale. Item 628-505 in the search box at www.midwayusa.com for the 165 gr FTX at 2,410 fps. $19.39 per box.
This is $5-$10 cheaper per box than the offerings by Win., Rem., and Federal.
Got-R-Did.

jtaylor1960
11-29-2011, 06:50 PM
The RCBS mold is a good one for the 32 spl.Ranch Dog also makes a good mold.He has it on sale at the moment.

TXGunNut
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
The RCBS mold is a good one for the 32 spl.Ranch Dog also makes a good mold.He has it on sale at the moment.

Noticed that, ordered it Sunday along with the 45-70 mould I had on my wish list.:D
As far as the 32 vs 30-30 it seems to me the 32 is marginally more powerful at factory load levels and potentially quite a bit more powerful if you take advantage of the ability of the round. Kinda reminds me of the 35 in that respect, DP. I'm not necessarily looking for more power per se but have learned to appreciate the large frontal areas of larger caliber boolits.
Still have no idea what I'm going to do with this rifle. If I decide it's a shooter I think it'll soon be wearing a Lyman tang sight. I really like the rear buckhorn sight with the white diamond but I just don't think I can see them well enough to use them.
Have a couple of extended hunting trips scheduled for next month so won't get to play with it until next year.
Factory rounds? Really?;-)

Dorf
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
TX GN: I think you'll find that the .32 Spl is a lot of fun. Mine is one my dad bought in 1937 and I just got around to shooting "boolets" out of it this year. I used the Ranch Dog 173 gr slug sized @ 321, 8.0 gr Unique, WLR primer and got 1691 fps mv for a starting load. 9.0 of Unique clocked in @ 1760 fps. Have yet to get to the range again for more data. Hope this helps. Stan

jodum
11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Those old 94's must be lonely. The exact same rifle followed me home last year. Fun to reload and shoot.

TXGunNut
11-29-2011, 11:54 PM
The guy in Cabela's Gun Library told me something interesting. They're getting in lots of nice old guns. Some are not even on display yet. I don't know if this is just at this store, other Cabela's or even a trend for the entire industry but I've alway's taken the time to check out the used gun rack. There are always some gently used but unremarkable guns, a few beaters and dozens of clearance guns but there were a few very desirable rifles and shotguns on the rack Sunday. None are exactly bargains, of course, but always seem fair to me, especially when it's a gun I'm interested in and exceptionally clean to boot.

fordwannabe
11-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah I had a 1908 vintage 1894 26 inch round barrel 32 spcl follow me home from my bear hunt in Maine this year. I know the feeling. Seems to be a good rifle but somebody did a number on the sights....gotta find a set of ORIGINALS to replace these. Tom

Potsy
11-30-2011, 10:23 AM
My Great-Grandfather had a '94 in .32 Winchester. It's possible that it was his father's, but no one seems to know for sure.
A non-hunting cousin has it. My Grandmother has been trying to buy it off of him for me for 20years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all mad he has it, I just wish me or the only other cousin in the family that hunts had it. I do have the rack from the only deer my Great Grandad killed with it. A 6-point in 1960.
I've never actually even seen the rifle, I just always envisioned it as a fine old rifle that was begging to be fired and carried again.

sundog
11-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I'll take the .32 over the 30-30 any day. But, if all I had was the 30-30, I would be quite content. Since I have both, well, how much better can it get?

Tex, I see that you ordered the RD mould. Good deal, it's a good boolit. If you would also like to try the RCBS 170 FN, I can send you some -- PM me.

As for load data for the 170 grainer, use 170 grain cast data for the 30-30 and it will produce slightly less pressure and velocity. Work up from there. There is some data on castpics.

northmn
11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Just for the record I passed a 94 in 32sp in a gun rack at a local sporting goods dealer that looked in good shape that went for about $470. They do seem to bring a little higher prices. Since my gun budget is kind of overspent this year I have to let things past for a bit.

DP

felix
11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
If I am not mistaken, a member of our board bought all the remaining barrels left over from the last Winnie production run. Pidgin Roost Slim (PRS)? Someone out West is ringing my bell. ... felix

FromTheWoods
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
.32's give off a bit better Karma than do the .30WCF's.

Dad's rifle that I grew up hunting with was a .32. When he died, I didn't inherit it, so I decided to purchase one for my sons to shoot. Added my preferences to his carbine, and came up with a beautiful 1894 Winchester, 26" octagon, crescent butt, with XXX(?) wood, aaaaannnnnd a double-set trigger. For my older eyes, it has a Marbles tang sight. Pretty much perfect.

Whenever I think of, see, touch, and shoot it, a bit of Dad is there with me/us.

Members were talking about Cabelas--this is from their site. I did pay too much for it at the time, but already its value is above the price we paid.

Jon K
11-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Did you slug the bore?
Lots of mention of the RCBS 170...but RCBS tend to run on the small side. RD should be OK, but then again...you never know.
I bought an 1893 Marlin...groove diameter is .326. Lucked out because NOE had just run the 326299.
I have had many 30-30, and must say the 32Sp is more CB friendly.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

Tom-ADC
11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
My brother has one of these he bought about 1960 it still looks like new.
I can't remember how many times I've tried to buy that from him.

TXGunNut
11-30-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure this rifle will ever go hunting even though it's quite likely one of the best hunting rifles I own. I have more good hunting rifles than I have time to hunt and I won't be able to cast suitable boolits and work up a load to go hunting this year. A non-hunter owning a great hunting rifle isn't much worse than a hunter owning the same rifle and never taking it hunting. I'd rather it were in your safe than his, Potsy, hopefully that will happen someday.
A great couple of guys I hang out with will assure me that this is a great "hog gun" and our inside joke is that one simply can't have enough "hog guns". A "hog gun" is pretty much any fast-handling rifle of 30 caliber or greater with above-average KD power. Hogs are definitely on the menu for the management hunt I'm going on next week but I'm afraid the honors will go to a .35 Rem...or a 45-70...maybe even a boring 30-06, especially if it rains.

TXGunNut
12-01-2011, 12:11 AM
I do need to slug it, Jon. OOB is 33 cal, guess I can dismantle an old shotgun shell and have nine slugs in hand pretty easily. A healthy smack with a hammer on an anvil should give me a suitable slug. I've heard the 32 is a boolit caster's friend, guess that's why I bought it. I have a very nice Trapper in 30-30 that is a future CB project but at the moment I have too many toys, too little time. 32 jumped over the thutty-thutty on my project list since I have no intention of buying factory ammo or j-bullets for it, if I want to shoot it I'll have to get busy.
Good tip on the loads, sundog. Not many listed and all seem very conservative. RD's loads are pretty warm and are probably better suited to Marlins so I'd like to start out around 1600fps and see where that leads me.

Got-R-Did
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry for my apparently inane post.
Got-R-Did.

TXGunNut
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Sorry for my apparently inane post.
Got-R-Did.

Don't be, good info. Hope you didn't mind me poking a little fun at you, suspected that's what you were doing anyway. Quite honestly I didn't know if they still loaded the cartridge. Things change but the only reason I bought this rifle was to explore casting and loading for it. That, and for some reason I buy every clean used levergun I can afford. That affliction has served me well.;)

pricedo
01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
My take on the 32 special and the 35 Remington, both of which are stated to be better than the 30-30 is that on paper they look pretty darn close. One gun writer said that if the power were TNT a chipmunk could not blow its nose with the difference between them.
My opinion, which is just that, is that the 30-30 has been used a lot with the 170 grain bullet. An individual that I went to school with has used the 30-30 to shoot more deer than I have with all my guns combined. He mentioned going 26 straight one shot kills with one, when he counted. He told me to use the 150 as it expands better. It was not bad advice as I have used that bullet and so has my daughter and it works. The one time I had an expansion problem was with a 170.
I personally believe that a larger bore will expand more reliably due to its larger frontal area. Also the 32 special is about 100 fps faster than the 30-30 out of the same barrel length with a 170 grain bullet. The difference is not in "power", but in performance. While the 170 30-30 does generally expand it may not do so as well as the others. I personally feel the 32 special is a better cartridge than the 30-30 with more potential, but it is more uncommon.
I would buy the 32 special brass as I tried forming brass for an 8mm Mauser out of 30-06 and it did not work as well as the brass made for it.

DP

Ballistically you could pizz the difference between any of .30-30 WCF, .32 WSP, .35 Rem.

The practical difference is when you go on an out of town hunt to backwoods Alaska or Bugtustle Hollow in Nunavut, Canada & realize your ammo box is still on the kitchen table at home where you had your last cup of coffee before hitting the road.

In these isolate places you can go into just about any Hudson Bay Depot, Canadian Tire Store or Joe Bloes Hardware & there'll be a box of .30-30 WCF cartridges sitting on a shelf somewhere.

I guarantee you WON'T find .32 WSP or .35 Rem cartridges.:groner:

That's the reason I gave the nod to .30-30 WCF as my utility levergun deer cartridge.

Could mean the difference between hunting & not hunting if you have a "senior moment" sometime & forget your ammo.

Canuck Bob
01-01-2012, 08:46 PM
These 94 32 WS are devious creatures. One hooked me and followed me home too. I then found a nice stash of Dominion ammo with the 170 grain Kling-Kor softpoint bullets. A unique Canadian design that used little triangles of the cup pressed into the core in the bearing section of the bullet for added core retention.

I'm planning an LBT mold once I get to working up a cast load. I'm planning a GC bullet that fits in the neck and hopefully drops at 285 gr with GC. One thing that comes through about researching these rifles is that cast shooters rave about them. I have an early Ideal mold reworked by Erik designed for the 32 Rem as a starter mold that will become a PB once the LBT is cut.

The argument to choose a caliber by its remote availability is valid to a point if one wants to shoot the 30-30, 303 Brit, and 30-06 in the north. I did once live and hunt in the Canadian NWT and carried a 444. I've found it very easy to borrow a rifle in the remote north. To leave my treasured 444 home on an important hunt or as a working gun because I might forget or lose my ammo isn't an option. If I made that mistake I would borrow or buy another rifle.

pricedo
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
The argument to choose a caliber by its remote availability is valid to a point if one wants to shoot the 30-30, 303 Brit, and 30-06 in the north.

Unlike a lotta shooters on this board who apparently could afford to buy out the whole inventory at Buds Gun Store & own 3 of everything I as an ordinary plebe with a family and a mortgage often have hard choices to make if I want to stay financially solvent and married.

Remote availability isn't usually the deciding criterion when I'm intending to buy a gun but if I had to decide among 3 very "close" calibers like the .30-30 WCF, .32 WSP, .35 REM it would be.

You big money guys would probably buy all 3.

Maybe after my favorite lottery numbers pay off I'll be in that position as well.

That's a mighty fine looking 94 in the OPs pictures.

Canuck Bob
01-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Pricebo, I felt your comments were aimed directly at me considering the use of my quote. Please do not assume things about my finances and ethics and then judge me based on false evidence. I have no idea how my thread would indicate me as a big money guy who could buy 3 of everything or empty a gun store!! It doesn't accurately describe me or my situation.

pricedo
01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Pricebo, I felt your comments were aimed directly at me considering the use of my quote. Please do not assume things about my finances and ethics and then judge me based on false evidence. I have no idea how my thread would indicate me as a big money guy who could buy 3 of everything or empty a gun store!! It doesn't accurately describe me or my situation.

Didn't say or insinuate anything about your ethics.

Maybe I'm a bit envious & wish I could afford to augment my own armory to include some of the fantastic firearms owned by other members on the board.

You could accuse me of being rich & I'll deny it but I sure wouldn't take offense. :mrgreen:

Canuck Bob
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for clarifying Pricedo. I over reacted as often happens! :drinks:

I too wish I could pony up a thousand or two to upgrade by gun cabinet regularly. Instead I have a few well worn old friends that still shoot great! Hopefuly I get this cast thing up and running this decade so I can afford to shoot them a bunch more.

TXGunNut
01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
That's a mighty fine looking 94 in the OPs pictures.
You big money guys would probably buy all 3. -pricedo

Thanks, pricedo. If she wasn't so purty I likely would have passed her by. And unlike me she photographs well.
Come to think of it, I do have all three. The 30-30 and the 35 are actually a bit nicer than the 32 that followed me home. Thanks for calling me a "big money guy", I've needed a good laugh all day. I'm actually just another working stiff who really appreciates sentimentally attractive rifles that fire medium caliber, medium velocity projectiles.

Canuck Bob
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I have three as well! A 444 Marlin, Win 94 32 Special, and Win 92 32-20 to cover the power spread with levers. I'm hooped buying ammo in Keg River, Alberta! Right now I'm slowly tooling up to cast lead. It seems rifles are cheap, dies, molds, sizers, brass, mounts, scopes, and new powder is where the money seems to bleed away at the most.

TXGunNut
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Remote availability isn't usually the deciding criterion when I'm intending to buy a gun but if I had to decide among 3 very "close" calibers like the .30-30 WCF, .32 WSP, .35 REM it would be.

I have three as well! A 444 Marlin, Win 94 32 Special, and Win 92 32-20 to cover the power spread with levers.-Canuck Bob

I meant I had the three he mentioned, Canuck Bob. You've covered the spectrum more efficiently than I did. I have too many medium bores but I like them all. I also have a 45-70 GG and a Trapper in 45 Colt...and a Big Bore in .375. Big Bore and Trappers don't get out much. I'll bet that 92 in 32-20 is fun, always been intrigued by the .444 as well. I want a 92 or 1873 someday but I'm going to try to stay with my resolution of no new rifles in 2012....is a carbine a rifle?[smilie=l:

Canuck Bob
01-04-2012, 02:15 PM

I have three as well! A 444 Marlin, Win 94 32 Special, and Win 92 32-20 to cover the power spread with levers.-Canuck Bob

I meant I had the three he mentioned, Canuck Bob. You've covered the spectrum more efficiently than I did. I have too many medium bores but I like them all. I also have a 45-70 GG and a Trapper in 45 Colt...and a Big Bore in .375. Big Bore and Trappers don't get out much. I'll bet that 92 in 32-20 is fun, always been intrigued by the .444 as well. I want a 92 or 1873 someday but I'm going to try to stay with my resolution of no new rifles in 2012....is a carbine a rifle?[smilie=l:

Congrats! Enjoy your rifles. For me a carbine is anything 20" or less on the barrel. It usually means a tighter LOP and slim wood but not always.

8mm
01-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Back in the early 60's I "needed" a M-94 30-30 but none were to be found in my locale. What I did find was a near mint used M-94 in .32 Special and I settled for that one in spite of "the prevailing wisdom of local experts". I still own it.

In the decades that have passed I considered several 30-30 M-94's but never bought any of them (which I regret). The .32 was good enough and I never regretted that that purchase. Now that I am a bullet casting addict, the near perfect suitability of cast bullets in the .32 is an added bonus that heightens the enjoyment of that purchase from the past.

TXGunNut
01-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Hunting season is over for me, looking forward to developing a load for this little gem. Action still pretty tight but I think that'll loosen up soon. I need more boolits and I like casting the RD 323-170. Reminds me of the 6MM bullets that penetrate so well.

pricedo
01-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Honest.;) I was minding my own business trying to find a new 3-piece collet for my RCBS inertia bullet puller and happened to see a nice enough-actually very nice-94 Wichester in the used gun rack. I've been curious about that cartridge and passed on some pretty rough 94's in .32 Win several months back. Wood is plain walnut and the receiver is higly polished with a few very light scratches. Pictures don't do it justice, it's an honest 95% gun but I wouldn't argue with a 98% rating. Careful inspection of the loading gate, elevator and bolt face makes me think it may not have been fired since it left the factory, 20 rounds max. Ser #3243XXX. Paid too much-$479-but don't think I'll ever see one that clean in that price range. They were asking that for the beaters several months ago.
Saw a nice enough Browning 92 in .44 Mag that almost made for a twofer night.
Didn't have the collet, BTW.:groner:

You're a luck SOB for walking into a gem:awesome: like that and in .32 Win Spec to boot.

The price was very reasonable for THAT gun.

Whenever I walk into a shop the racks & walls are polluted with those ridiculous green & black plastic Ninja guns @ $1500+ each (that I wouldn't pay $15 for).

No real wood anywhere except maybe the counter or the floor.

That's a real nice looker & I hope it shoots like it looks.

Congrats !

TXGunNut
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
That's a real nice looker & I hope it shoots like it looks.

Congrats !-pricedo

Thanks. More careful inspection still comes up with a 95% gun, still pretty sweet. Rear sight went in the parts box to accommodate a peep sight on the receiver. Not as slick as my other leverguns but it's a bit tight, should loosen and smooth up a bit over time. Still looking for a load it likes but that's part of the fun. Think I'll pour a few for it this weekend.

pmer
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
I was cruising a shop today and they had several late model 94s in 30-30. They were $289-$350 and another for $459. It was tempting but I passed. :p

Dirty30
01-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Good choice! 13.5 grains of 2400 and a CCI 550 primer behind a 165 gr. boolit makes a great skunk thumper. No good for large game, but for plinking and ranch vermin you can't shoot much cheaper. Enjoy!

TXGunNut
02-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Lyman globe sight was in my POB tonight, filed it to fit while I cooked supper. :wink: Should play well with the Williams sight on the receiver. Was disappointed to discover that a reticle sight was not among the inserts, only apertures and posts. Getting decent groups @ 50 yds but post front sight covered about 12 MOA, no sense trying @ 100 with my eyes and those sights.
Photo quality pretty poor, sorry about that.

ktw
02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Was disappointed to discover that a reticle sight was not among the inserts, only apertures and posts. Getting decent groups @ 50 yds but post front sight covered about 12 MOA, no sense trying @ 100 with my eyes and those sights.

Lee Shaver sells a set of inserts for the lyman 17 sights. They are much finer than the Lyman inserts and include a crosshair reticule.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/-strse-3/lyman-sight-inserts-silhouette/Detail.bok

-ktw

TXGunNut
02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks, ktw. That's what I had in mind. I'll try the tall skinny post and an aperture or two but I like the reticle on my Sharps. I like some of his apertures as well. Thanks again!

TXGunNut
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Hello, my name is Mike and I'm a levergunaholic. I haven't purchased a levergun in 80 days but it hasn't been easy....[smilie=l:
All kidding aside I really do need to focus on the rifles in my safe and quit trying to round up all the strays and castouts. Matter of fact, I have a few rows of .32 Special cases that need my attention right now. I'm outta here! :mrgreen:

ktw
02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Lyman globe sight was in my POB tonight, filed it to fit while I cooked supper. :wink: Should play well with the Williams sight on the receiver.

Which height Lyman 17 did you use with the rear peep on a 94?

I've collected up more than my share of pre-64 94s and would like to try that on one of them. I have 17s mounted on other guns, just not on a Winchester 94.

-ktw

TXGunNut
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Front sight was .360 high, .404 was as close as I could get. Rear sight is just about bottomed out so should work fine on this gun.

ktw
02-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks, Mike.

-ktw

TXGunNut
02-18-2012, 01:13 AM
I'll likely fire it tomorrow if weather allows, will let you know how it goes, ktw.

northmn
02-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Actually you folks are leaving out the 38-55 which is another fun gun in the same class:) My four favorite levers are a 32-20, a 30-30, 35 Remington and 38-55. I have resisted the 32 Special bug but it does intrigue me. The 30-30 is getting left in the closet more and more as I like the 35 and the 38-55 for deer and the little 32-20 for general carry when I put up fire wood and that sort of thing. In my case its taken a few years to build up the collection. My daughter got her first few deer with the 30-30 and I may bequeth it back to her. I ahd to build her up a 300 Savage bolt gun to get it back a while ago but should give it to her to avoid any family fuss in an estate.

DP

TXGunNut
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Actually you folks are leaving out the 38-55 which is another fun gun in the same class.
The 30-30 is getting left in the closet more and more... -northmn

Good point, even tho I did mention the .375 Win. I like the 38-55 cartridge but don't have one yet. Once in a blue moon I add a new cartridge, 38-55 may be my next one.
My 30-30 hasn't been hunting for years, present one likely never will. As much as I like my .32 I'd be lost without a thutty-thutty. Thinking hard about buying another one just as a fun shooter or rough-duty hunting.

felix
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Nah, do the 35-30! ... felix

TXGunNut
02-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Nah, do the 35-30! ... felix

Never heard of it but I like the way you think, felix. I have some 30-30 brass that didn't work out for .32 Spl, I see it's based on the 30-30 as well. 35 Rem brass gets harder to find every year, 30-30 brass litters the public range where I shoot.