PDA

View Full Version : Heavy hollow point (HP) boolits for 44 and 45 for revolvers

Onty
11-27-2011, 09:09 PM
What is your opinion about very heavy hollow point (HP) for revolvers? Many prefer just plain flat point (FP) for handgun hunt for deep penetration and exist wound, crucial for eventual tracking. Because of this last requirement, HP is not considered by them as an ideal boolit since mushroomed boolit lacks penetration, and in many cases hide on other side just holds it, and no exit wound.

Now, if we combine heavy boolit with HP feature, we might have combination that will give us large wound channel and deep penetration. I was playing bit on computer just to see what I am going to get, and here is the picture of 44-325 and 45-360 HP boolits;

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/Onty50/44-45-HP-1.jpg

44-325-HP
Nominal dia: .432
Meplat dia : .340
Crimp to meplat: .450
OAL: .925

45-360-HP
Nominal dia: .454
Meplat dia : .362
Crimp to meplat: .450
OAL: .925

Since these are not intended for plinking, I added gas check for better accuracy and to prevent leading. Weights are listed with GC for penta HP, round cavity HP-s are few grains lighter.

Please have a look and let me know what do you think.

jandbn
11-29-2011, 08:28 PM
I have wondered the same thing. From the reading I've done here, the heavy weights seem to have better accuracy if pushed hard enough to stabilize them. The consensus seems to be the longer the boolit, the better alignment to the centerline of the bore if the rest of the gun is as it should be. My thoughts were as you mentioned, although for my 45 Bisley, I was envisioning an LFN HP nose (.310-.320 meplat) rather than and WFN (.360-.370 meplat) HP nose. I was also "surmizing" that a GC would be less apt to be needed with heavy weights in the 1100-1200 fps out of a 45 Bisley. I don't really want to mess with gas checks if I don't have to and one way to possibly avoid using a GC is to keep the velocity down. Although... there seem to be many here that push the velocity up without a GC and don't lead the barrel. I have yet to test 1400 fps with a PB in the recently lapped Bisley.