PDA

View Full Version : Need some Hornady help......

3006guns
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I've just run into a strange situation. I have a brand new, unopened box of Hornady .30 caliber crimp on checks......that fall off my boolits when sized. I finally stopped fighting it and measured the o.d. and it's .319-.320. A Lyman .30 caliber measures .312 and seats tightly, so I'm suspicious the Hornadys are for a larger caliber and were funneled into the wrong box.

Could someone measure a Hornaday .30 caliber for me and post back here? If they are indeed wrong I'll call Hornady and see about sending them back for the correct ones.

mrbill2
11-27-2011, 08:30 PM
My Hornady 30's measure .310-.320 O.D. also.

3006guns
11-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks mrbill2...this boolit does have a tapered gas check shank, so maybe that's part of the problem. First time I've had a crimp on fail me though!

littlejack
11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
3006:
What size is the gc shank on your boolit, and what is the id of your gc?
Jack

3006guns
11-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I think I found the problem. The i.d. of the check is .270, measured with calipers. The boolit shank is .302 near the top and .275 at the very bottom (base). Because the check is somewhat shallow its only able to grab the shank a short distance up, where there isn't as much "meat". On top of that, I'm sizing this particular boolit to .315 which doesn't compress the check very much.

My required seating depth puts the check past the case neck and into the shoulder area, so the check is not supported by the neck. My fear is that the check might come off and cause some problems.....poor accuracy and a possible bore obstruction. Neither are good.

About the only solid way to correct this would be to have the gas check shank of the mold bored to a straight section instead of tapered. I may have to contact one of the guys on the forum that modifies molds!

Calamity Jake
11-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Anneal the GCs they won't spring back any after crimping on the boolit.

If that doesn't work then try some super glue.

mrbill2
11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
3006gun

(I finally stopped fighting it and measured the o.d. and it's .319-.320. A Lyman .30 caliber measures .312 and seats tightly, so I'm suspicious the Hornadys are for a larger caliber and were funneled into the wrong box.)

How old are those Lyman checks? I have read here many time that Hornady makes the checks for Lyman. If they indeed do then they must make two sizes of 30 cal. checks according to the measurements you have found. Unless your Lyman checks are old stock.
Don't know.

3006guns
11-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Last night I discovered my problem. First of all, the boolit shank is tapered, but the crimp on check should handle that easily. Secondly, I had inherited this box from a friend that passed away years ago and never thought to take a close look. Nowhere on the box does it say "crimp on style" or words to that effect. A close examination of the checks reveals no slight flair....they're a straight cup, just like a Lyman but slightly larger diameter (the Lyman checks are older and actually hold better!). It's been awhile since I used a crimp on and had forgotten that you can usually feel a little pop when being seated, as the sizing die squeezes the check into the lead.

Both the Lymans and Hornadys are old....the Lyman box is black and white with a price of $8.75! Oh, those were the days.....

If I remember correctly, Hornaday didn't come out with the crimp on check until the early to mid seventies or so. This box may very well predate that time. In any case, I'll be placing an order to one of the online suppliers for a fresh batch....but I seriously doubt they'll be $8.75!