PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Tracker in .45 Cowboy Special

Dale53
02-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I may have mentioned that I recently picked up a Taurus Tracker SS in .45 ACP. It uses VERY thin full moon clips (five round clips). I really like this compact, five shooter with 4" ported barrel. I have only shot it with target .45 ACP loads, so far, but it has a dandy set of adjustable sights and of course, is easy to zero just right.

My only complaint is having to use the full moon clips at the range. Understand, this revolver does NOT have enough head space to allow the use of .45 Auto Rim cases. Why they didn't do this is probably tied to the sometime scarcity of Auto Rim cases. I don't really know the answer to that. I do know that it is a bit of a PITA to have to fool with the clips just shooting on the range (they make for a quick reload when necessary, of course). You could also use .45 ACP cases without the clips and just pick the cases out of the revolver but I don't favor that method much, either.

However, there IS an answer. Somebody on this forum was complaining about using light loads in the .45 Long Colt. Somebody else suggested that he look at :

http://www.cowboy45special.com/index.html

Being naturally curious and always ready to learn something new (yeah, I admit it, I don't know everything[smilie=1:) I clicked on the link and low and behold, here was a possible solution to my little "Taurus Tracker Dilemma". Possible, you understand, because I had not yet tried them. They (the Cowboy .45 Special cases) looked like they MIGHT work. I decided to order out 500 of them and see. My reasoning is that I could use them in my Ruger Bisley Vaquero if they wouldn't work in the Tracker.

I received the cases today. Out of the box they were slightly too large in diameter to go in my Tracker. Just a LITTLE too big, you understand, but too large, nonetheless. However, I ran them through a .45 Colt sizer (RCBS Carbide) and low and behold, they now fit just perfect. It is a good thing that they are very uniform as the rims just BARELY clear the ejector star. However, they work like they were made for the Tracker.

They essentially have the same capacity and are the same length as .45 ACP and Auto Rim cases. There is a ton of data out there and I will be in Tracker Heaven for the foreseeable future.

To show you how goofy we all are (I'm including the rest of you in this because I KNOW that you are just as bad as I am:drinks:) understand that I have also just recently bought a BLUE Taurus Tracker in .44 magnum. I know, I know, goofy in the extreme. But I DO have a smile on my face:-D :-D :-D

Dale53

calaverasslim
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Another thing is that the Cowboy brass is supposed to have the same head diminsions as the 45lc.

Just load your 45 Cowboy brass to the same load as the 45acp and enjoy.

454PB
02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Could the same result be accomplished by trimming .45 Colt brass? I ask because .45 Colt brass usually fails by mouth splitting. I use trimmed .44 magnum brass that has mouth splits to make .44 special brass.

scrapcan
02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
depends on the brass as far as just trimming down. Some brass when trimmed down will be to thick to get the bullet to seat and size properly. I think this is the reason that the 45 couboy special was developed, to get away from case neck/mouth thickness.

I have been meaning to look at the site devoted to the cartridge given above but have not yet. Maybe a good thing to do while I eat my lunch.

Dale53
02-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, I gave my Taurus Tracker a little outing with the .45 Cowboy Special cases. Everything worked well. I had the revolver sighted in at 50 feet with my standard .45 ACP target loads. The first shot at fifty feet was inside the ten ring of the slow fire target!

I shot until I got tired [smilie=1: and really enjoyed the process. Using the Cowboy Special brass is everything that I had hoped it would be. I can recommend it without reservation.

About the .45 ACP Tracker:

This is a viable combination. However, the Tracker is VERY sensitive to bullet seating depth due to tight throats. My bullets are sized at .452" and I will be working with smaller sizes to see if I can ease the bullet seating sensitivity.

To explain, the .452" bullets won't easily push through the cylinder. I believe that .451" might (judging from my examination of the throats). I will check this out and then do another accuracy test. The idea is to be able to size the bullets so that I can seat the bullets out a bit and still have good accuracy results. Right now, using .452" bullets, I must have the bullet shoulder flush with the case mouths. I normally prefer to seat the bullet out a bit more but the Tracker's tight throats won't allow this. It's not really a problem just personal preference on my part.

Keep in mind that factory ammo using hard ball or Federal Hydra-Shok's there is absolutely NO problem. However, being a cast bullet shooter, my main interest is getting the best out of the revolver using cast bullets.

Of course, when the weather breaks this spring, I will try it out at longer ranges. This has been a fun project and it just keeps getting better and better.

This piece will make a dandy field handgun as it is relatively light weight and yet is comfortable to shoot all day. I can't wait to try it out on some bunny wabbits next season!

Dale53

lar45
02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
How loud is the little tracker with the muzzle brake?
Does anybody know if the Cowboy 45 Special is legal for CAS shoots?

I have a little 45 double pistol that I had to cut down 45Colt brass to fit. I think I'm going to have to order some.
http://www.lsstuff.com/howdah/pics/45double/45double05.jpg
http://www.lsstuff.com/howdah/pics/45double/45double02.jpg

Dale53
02-24-2007, 07:53 PM
lar45;
The Cowboy Special brass was created for cowboy shooting. I can think of no reason for it to be illegal. Check out the web site that I gave, above. Here it is:

http://www.cowboy45special.com/index.html

Dale53

lar45
02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I was just wondering how pickey they would be. I thought their was rule that they run had to use a period cartridge?
I was reading elsewhere about some modified guns not being allowed.

I guess if they allow the 32 H&R and the 44 mag then the 45 special shouldn't have any problems either. I was just wondering if there was a ruleing on it. You know how stupid some things can get.

that little 150gn bullet looks pretty cool. I see that Lee has a 160gn 45 mold.

Dale53
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I am not a member of CAS (my cowboy shooting has been limited to "Independant" matches (even tho' at fairly large venues). However, I don't think the emphasis would have been put on these short cases that led to development if they are not legal. Just ask Adirondack Jack, he'll surely tell you.

It's one of the neater ideas for "gamers", I can tell you that. Frankly, for fun shooting, I find the .45 Colt just a bit too much for fun when you shoot a case full of black. I did some serious tests, using three different brands of black and Pyrodex "P" and learned that you could load a 250 gr. cast bullet from 750 fps clear up to nearly 1000 fps in a 7½" barrel without fillers, when using the different brands and granulations. That is, using a case full of black. When a feller is hunting, heavy recoil is of little concern. However, if you are going to shoot 100-200 loads in an afternoon, unnecessary recoil starts to become a problem.

I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but enough is enough.

I have not yet loaded the .45 Cowboy Specials in my Ruger Bisley, but when spring hits, I will definitely try them out with the Holy Black as well as smokeless.

I am somewhat less than enthusiastic about those who want to shoot "girly" loads to increase their chances of winning. However, with Cowboy shooting structured the way it is, people are definitely going to try anything legal to "buy a win". When IPSC was a "Martial Art" before all of the gamers took over, we checked EVERYONE's ammo to insure they made major. Maybe CAS should look into this. Until then, the .45 Cowboy Special is a viable way to reduce recoil safely.

Dale53

Bodydoc447
02-25-2007, 05:07 PM
SASS rules state ANY pistol cartridge .32 caliber and above. Then you just have to keep in mind the max velocity limit which is 1000 fps for revolvers. The .45 Special/Cowboy is absolutely legal. I had to learn the rules to shoot my Vaquero in .40 S&W at SASS events while waiting for the .38-40 cylinders to be opened up.

Doc

lar45
02-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I orderd some of the 45 special cases.
I was chatting with a guy from Sweden who was telling me they had to shoot a period style bullet. They could not shoot a SWC so he was looking for a round nose mold.

Swagerman
02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Dale53, you did a good thing that will help out the .45 acp Taurus Tracker owners who have had to use the special moon clips. Now they can circumvent the moon clips and use the .45 special brass.

The Taurus Tracker is no longer made in .45 caliber, not sure about .44 magnum.

Heck, if they made one in .44 special I'd buy it.

As it is, I own one in .45 Colt and it too uses only .452 bullets to best effect in cast boolits. I don't try to hot rod this gun, staying below 1,000 fps range...usually around 850 fps.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P2210012closeupcropped644X.jpg

twotrees
02-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a Taurus Titanium Tracker and love it. The hock shop I got it for said the first owner fired less that 20 rounds through it and proclaimed it "Too Brutal". I have been working up loads for wild pig hunting and am aproaching Max in it but cases just fall out and no flattened primers.

I think it's no worse (Much Louder) that my Python hot loaded, but the wife begs to differ, she plain don't like it ( And she shoots my SS Blackhawk 44 mag with Elmer's loads in it.

As yet, I have not put any Holy Black through it, as I'm not sure what Black fouling will do to the SS/Ti bond in the barrel.

Reminds me I need to go tumble some 45 Colt brass.

Adios,

TwoTrees

lar45
02-27-2007, 02:49 AM
A local shop had a Taurus Tracker in 41 mag a couple of months back. It seemed like you wouldn't even notice it carrying it all day.
The site about the 45 special brass says they had the best brass maker make them, but didn't say who. Was it Starline? I wonder if Top Hat would have been interested in makeing them as they cater to the CAS community. I bought 1000 rounds of their 45 Colt brass and have no complaints. I used to shoot Winchester pistol brass in everything until I had several cases split on me several years ago. At that time I heard of some problems with their rifle brass also, but I guess they got it cleared up. It still makes me wonder though.

Has anybody tried the 45 spl in a 45colt blackhawk? I wonder if a 45 acp cylinder would be better?

Mark12
02-28-2007, 06:54 AM
I've had a 44 tracker for a while now about 200 rounds so far. I like it a lot, size of a "L" frame power of a "N".
And way nicer to shoot than the 329pd.
Put on a set of Houge grips, don't care for the squishy "ribbers".

Swagerman
02-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Mark12, can you show us your after market grips on the Taurua Tracker .44 magnum.

I didn't know they made after market grips for them...are they made of wood.

Jim

lar45
03-04-2007, 04:56 AM
I ordered some of the Cowboy 45 special cases and they showed up in 2 days. They are very nice clean looking brass. There is a slight ridge on the inside of the case mouth, so you'll need to use your debur tool thing. I noticed on the site they said they were made by the best brass manufacturer, but never did name any names. I'm assumeing Starline. Anybody know?

I dug out some different 45 Colt cases, cut them down, sized and trimmed to the same length as the 45 spl. .893-4" . I had some Rem, WW and Top Brass. I measured the water capacity of them all and then how far you could seat a bullet until the wall thickness got to .013". I guessed at a .475" case and .451" bullet divide by 2 and came up with .012". the bullets will probably seat further before bulging the cases, but that's just what I settled on.
Top Brass, WW, Rem, 45 spl.
.165", .293", .400", .367" - from the case mouth down.
27.3gns, 28.2gns, 28.3gns, 27.7gns - water capacity.
http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/45-spl-case-01.jpg
I measured a bunch of 45 acp cases and came up with 27.1 to 27.4gns H2O. So any 45 acp loads should be lower pressure than useing acp brass.
It looks like you could cut down Rem cases and be fine. With WW cases you would just have to look out for bulging the case walls, but with light bullets it shouldn't be a problem. The Top Brass was much thicker towards the base and probably wouldn't work well for 45 special loads.

I haven't loaded and shot any yet. I think I'll try the 230 BD acp first. Then maybe the 200gn LEE.
I'm wondering if a 45 acp cylinder in the Blackhawk would work any better than the 45 colt cylinder? Maybe I should find a 44 mag cylinder and try cutting tight 45 special chambers. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a cheap cylinder.

So for what it's worth, that's what I did tonight.
The case length looks uneven in the picture, but I seated spent primers when checking the water capacity and they all didn't seat flush.

On a side note. The cases I cut down for my 45 double derringer were .900" long. I had the trimmer already setup with a power screw driver, so I trimmed them all to the same length as the 45 spl.

Mark12
03-11-2007, 08:40 AM
http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=517&step=2
Mark12, can you show us your after market grips on the Taurua Tracker .44 magnum.

I didn't know they made after market grips for them...are they made of wood.

Jim

No, sorry no wood yet not even nylon. They're rubber but not as squishy as stock. I'll try to add a link to the Houge website.

Dale53
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Swagerman;
Thanks for the kind words.

The Tracker series is made in several calibers: .17HMR,.41 mag., .44 mag, etc. For a full description, see:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=TS2

I really like the .45 ACP model for field use and anticipate the same conclusion when I start working with the .44 magnum. My ACP is stainless, but the .44 magnum is blued. I actually prefer stainless for the field. Apparently, neither the .45 ACP model nor the .45 Colt model is now available.

I will probably just use the .44 Mag Tracker with .44 Special brass and will probably settle on the "Skeeter" load (7.5 grs of Unique with a 240-250 Keith). I think that I mentioned before that the permissible overal length will not permit use of the Keith bullet with .44 mag cases (the Tracker cylinder length will allow all ammunition loaded to SAAMI standards but the Keith bullet in .44 mag cases exceeds this). Since I intended to use this relatively small, lightweight revolver with the Skeeter load, anyway, it is no problem for me. Further, there are lots of RF designs that will work in the lever rifles and the Tracker using .44 mag cases.

Of course, when my 200 gr dbl ended WC Group Buy gets here, that may become a candidate for this revolver. My local club has limits on pistol loads for indoors and the 200 gr WC loaded at target velocities should be the "cats meow" (Freudian Slip[smilie=1:) for that purpose.

Note: Someone asked if the .45 Cowboy Special has the same head as the .45 Colt. The answer is yes. It was specifically created to use in .45 Colt revolvers with a reduced load of Black Powder (15 grs. vs 36 grs.). When the weather breaks, I'll try some out in my .45 Colt Ruger Bisley Vaquero.

Dale53