PDA

View Full Version : Belding and Mull Visible Powder Measure return spring

ohland
11-27-2011, 04:01 PM
I finally cleaned up my B&M. Measured the return spring, it is

2.5" long, 0.25" diameter, About 32 coils, @ .050 diameter wire

Picked up a spring from Ace today, Hillman spring #143, 2 1/2" x 15/64 @ 20 coils, .035 diameter wire. Enough oomph to pull the chamber back into alignment with the hopper, reduces the effort by about half.

CAUTION: There may be other springs in the container. Compare the spring side by side if you can!

The "push rod" inside the spring is 0.125" diameter, @ 2.725" long

What the spring is rated for in pounds, dunno.

Bret4207
11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure what your question is, but many folks here report replacing the spring with a lighter one gave easier and just as accurate function. A springs rating comes not only from it's length, but also from the spring wire type and diameter, ie- a 1" x 1" spring made from .100 tempered wire will be a lot "softer" than a 1" x1" spring made from .200 tempered wire.

ohland
11-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure what your question is, but many folks here report replacing the spring with a lighter one gave easier and just as accurate function. A springs rating comes not only from it's length, but also from the spring wire type and diameter, ie- a 1" x 1" spring made from .100 tempered wire will be a lot "softer" than a 1" x1" spring made from .200 tempered wire.

Ditto. I was looking to make it easier to throw the handle, and the spring replacement was the overall winner. Except that nowhere was a length or diameter listed, so I whipped out my dial caliper and fired off a few dimensions.

Now that all the screwdrivers are down in the basement, you would have to bring up the wire diameter and number of coils... If someone would be so kind as to post a suitable replacement, from Ace, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, Enco, usw, it would arm the faithful... As for the temper, I have no easy way to determine that, other than the original spring has too much resistance to being compressed...

:2 drunk buddies:

mazo kid
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
I replaced the return spring on one of my B-M measures with one I found in my "salvaged springs" box. It works just fine and operates the hopper with much less force. I don't know why the original springs were so strong; all that is needed is to return the hopper to its starting position. Will have to look at the springs at Ace for replacement of the other two measures. Thanks for the tip.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I own two B&M's, one for 30+ years, I removed the spring from both. Never a problem with operation.
Nick

ohland
12-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I own two B&M's, one for 30+ years, I removed the spring from both. Never a problem with operation.
Nick

As someone has surmised, it's most likely to keep the outlet of the hopper and that of the cavity from being left half open. As long as one works the cavity from one side to the other, there shouldn't be a problem...