PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm just lucky

witmen
02-20-2007, 04:31 PM
So I went to tractor supply company today to buy a turkey fryer, like all of you suggested. I asked the man working there if they sold just the burner? and I told him I just needed it to melt some wheel weights for boolit casting. and I seen his eyes get real big and he said I use to do the same thing, but now I'm to shakey to get good casts or shoot well. If you'd like you can have all of my left over lead. So I ask how much he had and he tells me around 800 lbs of linotype already in corn bread bars. and about 1400 lbs in wheel weights.

He told me I could have it cause he said he didn't pay anything for any of it but I wouldn't exactly feel right taking all of this lead for nothing. what do you all think a fair price would be?

oh and so much for 150 lbs a year huh lol

44man
02-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Did you have to post that???? I think I am going to have the "Big one."

mike in co
02-20-2007, 05:00 PM
he's got three posts and falls into 800 lbs of lino!!!
and how much ww????
i'm gonna be sick...

witmen
02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I know it's prolly not fair. I don't even know what to do with it yet. lol

I'm going latter this night to see they guys stash and pick up some of it. I really for some reason feel I should atleast pay the man something though. atleast for the time it took to pour all those pretty corn bread bars.

No_1
02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Put 2 c-note in an envelope and hand it to him. Tell him not to open it till you leave. If he pesters you, tell him it is a little something that he can use to take his wife out for a nice dinner......

Robert

kywoodwrkr
02-20-2007, 05:07 PM
witmen,
You have a quandry.
He says he doesn't want anything and you feel you should give something.
Been there and done that.
Money may not be the answer.
See what he does need and wouldn't/won't buy for himself.
Offer to cast and load some for him maybe, even with all the 'though shalt not reload for another' stuff.
Does he enjoy shooting yet but just doesn't have dexterity to reload, cast etc etc.
Maybe take him out shooting using your eq and ammo.
WW are going for about $10 a lb with roughly 65-70% good material if I remmber correctly. Lino type at about $.35-.50 a lb.
Since he's working he might be able to use the cash as well. Or maybe he is working to visit with folks.
Were it me, I'd visit with him somemore and see what would be best.
$ or someone to shoot with. Or ????
You can't be too kind to older folks, believe me.
I'm thinking you're lucky in a few different ways on this deal.
Good luck.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Diamond-City-Bob
02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
At the very least a really really good bottle of whisky

7br
02-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Ask if he still shoots, offer some bullets up. If not, a good bottle of alcohol of choice, $50 gift card to a nice restaurant would be a couple of my choices.

You also might ask about old moulds etc that he might have laying around.

RU shooter
02-20-2007, 08:10 PM
That sounds like a real nice man and one I would gladly share a supper table with,If it were me and I wish it was reallllllllllllly bad I would invite him and his Mrs. to a dinner out at his favorite resturant and anything he wanted to eat or drink would be taken care of by you. then ask his wife what his favorite drink was and then get it for him

AkMike
02-20-2007, 08:29 PM
If he helps load all this booty up in your truck, you owe him ALOT!

tanstafl10
02-20-2007, 09:11 PM
witmen,

I'm with kywoodwrkr on this one. TIME is our more precious commodity. AS such, to share it with the elderly is the most sincere form of thanks.

offer to take him shooting with you. Maybe strike up a friendship. Ask him what he used to cast/shoot. He just may have a lot more than lead to share with you.....

I miss the gentlemen that first helped me with reloading, shooting and casting. I used to go out of my way to pick him up and take him on work trips with me, just to get him out and about.... and I did so enjoy talking with about anything and everything.

yes, this might be an opportunity.

Take care.

No_1
02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I am with the last post. Spend some time with him. Take him to sunday morning coffee. Show up at his business and offer to help every once in a while for free. This guy has given you the holy grail mother load of goodies that most of us dream about. He just wants to share what has brought him joy with you. You can surely take some time to give him what he might need the most at this point in life, which is a friend.

Robert

OLPDon
02-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Ask the people that work with him, they would know what the man Like Needs and would appreciate. I would keep away from Loading those bullets for him. If they don't work well he might feel he gave it to the wrong person. If its good wiskey he like a Case will do it and every now and then drop off a home made Apple Pie just to say Thank's.
As you can see from members on this board they go out of there way to help and they are some of the finest people you will ever meet. Keep that tradition going. What goes around comes around. Just MHO.
Don

PS See Hunters64 Post.

ace1001
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Like my father and uncle, he has reached a point where shakiness and arthritis have taken the joy out of shooting. He will never sell his guns, but his casting and loading equipment don't hold such sentimental value. Buy what you need and he is willing to sell, then let him be your mentor if he wishes. He probably has a lot of experience, unless he was just stockpiling for a future that never came. Keep in touch and let him know how things are turning out. If you turn around and sell all this stuff.....THEN you owe him some $$$. Ace

bishopgrandpa
03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm 68 but not old yet. Had a young man come to the shed to learn a bit about casting and gave him a few leftovers. He invited me along to the range to see what he had done. Enjoyed the trip and had the chance to correct him on a few things. Take a senior with you and gain from his experience. I'm sure you will all agree our years of experimenting are worth plenty to those coming up.

looseprojectile
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I am 68 also and have been mentoring a young man that is very interested in guns and shooting.
He is employed at the only pawn shop in the county. Can you say symbiotic relationship.
Yesterday we made a trade. He got my incredibly accurate FR -8 along with 200 rounds of Port. 7.62 and I got a S&W model 28-2.
I had about $130.00 in the FR 8 and about $9.00 in the ammo.
At todays value he got the best of the deal and I felt good about the trade, as I now have a companion piece for my Rossi .357 carbine.
At this point in life I really enjoy helping the newer people with their ever growing sickness.:-D

Happy shooting