PDA

View Full Version : T/C white mountain carbine .54 cal

rayzer
11-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I am thinking about buying a T/C white mountain carbine in .54 cal. Tried to do a search and nothing came up. What should work better RB's or conicals in this gun? Also what might it be worth? It is missing the rear sight, and ramrod.

451 Pete
11-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Rayzer,

The TC White Mountain carbine in .54 cal. is listed as having a 1-48 barrel twist and should shoot either round ball or conical and sabots. In this area one of these in good used condition and 100 % complete and as manufactured would bring about $125 - $150 or so at best.

Pete

Swampman
11-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Check the stock carefully for cracks. Many of them are.

quilbilly
11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I have a White Mountain Carbine in 50 cal. It shoots both RB, conical, and Sabots well although it seems to like the sabots the best. The rifles shoots so much better than I do on deer and elk, I have named it "Sweet Thing".

DIRT Farmer
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I picked up one in 54 for a grandson rifle for 50.00. It was complete but had been drilled and tapped for a scope. Barrel is good, and shoots RB (.535 and ticking, 50 grns of ffg) well.
As far as cracked stocks, check any of them. Some think loading them stupid is fun.

rayzer
11-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks for Youre input Guy's. I bought the rifle, pretty cheap. I am going to buy some Holy Black, some caps, round balls, sabots, and conicals, tomorrow. I will let the gun decide what works the best. The stock is in verey good shape, no dings. It looks like the previous owner was not trying to make a magnum rifle out of this gun, no sign of cracks at all. Also I found a replacement sight locally, at a good price. Dirt farmer. how thick is youre ticking, that You are shooting with round balls?

DIRT Farmer
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
rayzer, the ticking is "as I mesure it" 18 thousands. I tend to load tight and use pure Pb. This generaly gives best results for me.

Potsy
11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Two brothers I know both have White Mountain Carbines.
They were Christmas presents from their parents.
Not sure how much pyrodex they shoot, but with that and .50 Maxi Balls that have filled up a couple of truckbeds full of deer.
I tried to buy one of those rifles from one of them after he went through at least 4 Knights and currently shoots an Encore.
I was flatly denied.