PDA

View Full Version : Old Tru-Line press?

fatelk
11-26-2011, 11:27 PM
I bought an old press today, a Lyman Tru-Line Jr. For the life of me now I don't know why. I guess it looked interesting and I'd never had one before. It was only $35 and came with 4 dies, but I can't even figure out what they all are.

One die is marked 123 and has a decapping rod in it.
One is marked 143 and has a seating stem marked 388.
One is a die body marked 454.
One is a die body, threaded at the top, not marked at all.

I found a chart online that indicated the first two were for 30-06 and 250 Savage respectively, but couldn't find anything about the other two. Any ideas?

Pavogrande
11-27-2011, 12:15 AM
#123 with decap rod sounds like a 06 tru-line neck sizer - as you surmised
#143 is a tru-line or 310 seater, also as you thought.
#454 could be a expander die for 45 colt, the 454 is probably on the expandeer plug, the die body is usually not marked.
The "die body" , unmarked, could be an expander die body or possibly a decap chamber neither of which have their innards.
exp chambers come is several lengths about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long, decaps are mostly about 3" long.
If you mean the one die is threaded at the top and is 7/8 then it is an ez-loader die.
A photo if possible might clear all up.
my tuppence

fatelk
11-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Here's a couple photos. The part marked 454 is a die body only, no expander plug and no internal threads at all. The unmarked body has internal threads at the top.

I really don't know why I bought it. I think I'll put it on the trader, see if I can get the $35 I paid for it.

3006guns
11-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Whoa......hold on a second! First of all, that press is one of the older ones made before they changed the linkage to a compound type for more power. It didn't really increase it all that much, but it made the owners feel better.

Secondly, they're really good little turret presses. They neck size only, but for much of your shooting needs they work quite well. The dies are still readily available either from Lyman, Ebay, or my favorite, the 310 Shop. Most of the dies are interchangeable between the 310 tong tool and the Junior. There are replacement turrets available so that regular 7/8 x 14 dies can be used. I'm not crazy about the idea myself, only because the press is quite small and full length sizing of a large rifle case can strain it a bit.

I have mine set up on a quick change bench plate with the dies for .38 special. It's no Dillon but it does a good job of processing the round from empty case to finished in a remarkably short time. I've actually taken this little guy on camping trips and out to the local range for load development....just clamp it to the pickup tail gate and start loading.

In short, before you decide to sell it why not give it a chance and see how you like it? If you do decide to sell I'm sure you'll get your $35 back from someone like me. That old equipment worked pretty well back then and will still crank 'em out today.

Edit: In your pic, the first die looks to have the lock ring really "cock eyed". Is it actually that crooked or just the photo angle?

fatelk
11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the good words. I might hang onto it for a little while. When I bought it, the seller said the dies were a complete set, but it appears they are actually random pieces. I think he never used it, though, and didn't know. I've known him for several years and he's a real good guy.

I can see where it would have value as a take along press. I have another old compact press I thought would be great for that too, but in ten years or so have never used it. If I could find some cheap dies it might be worth-while to tinker with, otherwise I'll just pass it on to someone else.

I think you might be seeing a shadow on that lock ring photo. They all look fine to me.

SBH4628
11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Neat old presses I think...Mine has a box
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2139/12747254/22677309/399754828.jpg

scrapcan
11-29-2011, 02:08 PM
fatelk,

if you want to keep it and try it out, what cartridge would you like to try? I may have a set of dies and shellholder to get you going. What shell holder is in the press currently, that may make it easy.

By the way the 454 die is a cast bullet sizer that is missing the thru punch.

send me a pm and we can see if I have some parts to help you out.

Green Frog
11-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the good words. I might hang onto it for a little while. When I bought it, the seller said the dies were a complete set, but it appears they are actually random pieces. I think he never used it, though, and didn't know. I've known him for several years and he's a real good guy.

I can see where it would have value as a take along press. I have another old compact press I thought would be great for that too, but in ten years or so have never used it. If I could find some cheap dies it might be worth-while to tinker with, otherwise I'll just pass it on to someone else.

I think you might be seeing a shadow on that lock ring photo. They all look fine to me.

Another possible good use for the TL Jr is as a dedicated press for something you want to have ready all the time, but maybe don't load in huge quantities. I set one up to load .32-40s at one time and had it bolted to a short length of 2X4 so I could just bolt it down to the bench when (and where) needed. I currently have a cousin to the TL Jr. (my Red Head) set up the same way to load Maynard ammo. I don't get to use it often, but when I do it's always ready. That's a lot of value for the $35 you have invested in that little press, IMHO! :mrgreen:

Froggie

PS The unmarked die with internal threads is probably a decapping die. With a stem inside, it just decaps, then you use a muzzle resizer followed by a mouth expander. Next you put in the powder, and finally bullet seater that also adds the final crimp. The four stations then are decap, neck size, bell case mouth, and seat bullet. If you use a Lyman 55 Powder measure, you need a combination die to decap and size (will have CMR on it) and then bell in the second station and add powder at the third before seating the bullet and crimping in the fourth.

tinyejp
11-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Fatelk,
It may be worthwhile for you to keep that ol girl around. I use a Truline Jr. for all of my pistol reloading, and it does just great in that regard. It's small, so you can fit it just about anywhere, and it's plenty strong enough for any pistol ammo I've used it for up to 45 colt. The dies can be troublesome to find if you are a bargain shopper like me, but are available at full price at the 310 shop and others listed above by 3006guns.
I've had full success with 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, and 45 colt. I also have dies for .222 and 30-06, although as previously stated, rifle dies are neck size only. It sure is nice to set up a set of dies and just leave it that way, and it's quick to just twist the turret for the next operation! Give it a shot!