PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify maker of this shotgun?

Newtire
11-26-2011, 10:45 PM
I have this nice old double shotgun that I use regularly on clay birds for fun. It's roughly an 11 gauge and has the marking "August 1868" on it on the action after the forearm is removed and that's it. Very well built.

Hang Fire
11-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I have this nice old double shotgun that I use regularly on clay birds for fun. It's roughly an 11 gauge and has the marking "August 1868" on it on the action after the forearm is removed and that's it. Very well built.

If had a pic, no show for me?

Newtire
11-26-2011, 11:23 PM
If had a pic, no show for me?

Oops forgot the picture! now in first post. CRS again!

Ragnarok
11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
No proof markings?

I would speculate that if it has no English, Belgian, French, German, Spanish, etc proofs...probably American made.

US made guns from the 1800's often have but few markings of any sort..while European made arms usually bear at least some proof markings. The proofs generally being 'country specific' and a clue to who made it.

Newtire
11-27-2011, 11:58 AM
No proof markings?

I would speculate that if it has no English, Belgian, French, German, Spanish, etc proofs...probably American made.

US made guns from the 1800's often have but few markings of any sort..while European made arms usually bear at least some proof markings. The proofs generally being 'country specific' and a clue to who made it.

Yeah, they had proof laws but we didn't. I think that's most likely it, so now, which manufacturer. Just interested. It's got shorter barrels than a couple of the other ones I have. Alot more "swingable".

Hang Fire
11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
That boxlock looks similar to the one on a SS percussion rifle made in Texas several years back. It was supposedly based on an original

Newtire
11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
That boxlock looks similar to the one on a SS percussion rifle made in Texas several years back. It was supposedly based on an original

That would be a Mowrey?

SPRINGFIELDM141972
11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
That would be a Mowrey?

That's what I thought when I saw it.

Newtire
06-23-2016, 08:56 PM
I found out by persistent Internet auction site cruising that it's a gun made by N.R. Davis. Came across another one and bought it. It's very similar except has twist steel barrels. Next thing is to give it the "Firestone test" & see if I can disassemble it that way. If not, add it to the others I use for occasional claybird destruction.

pietro
06-24-2016, 08:54 AM

Here's the skinny on N.R.Davis Arms Co: http://www.scottcreative.net/Default.asp?ID=33&pg=Short+History+of+N.R.+Davis+%26+Sons+Shotguns

Newtire
06-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks Pietro. I was glad to see that these were some quality guns.

They have a very unique breech-to-frame tightening screw. I saw how it worked somewhere on the Internet and will have to do some research on it again & find it as it's a very clever system. Patent is August 1868. Pretty cool system. Thanks for the follow-up. Oh well, gotta get my butt back to work!

Geezer in NH
06-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Nice action!!!