PDA

View Full Version : Wildey 475 win mag question.

reloading noob
11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I am having problems with my Wildey. I bought it off Gunbroker about a year ago. I have NEVER been able to get it to cycle correctly. I have adjusted the gas port every which way I can. It never cycles the next round. Problem might be that the only rounds I have are reloads that came with it. So now the question. Does anyone here have a Wildey? Where do you get your ammo from? cast your own? any good loads worked up? I hate having a 1500 dollar paper weight!

Big Rack
11-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I've never messed with one and have only seen a couple. As I understand it these are gas operated from a port in the barrel my guess would be that port is partially or completely blocked. I'd expect that if lead bullets were ever shot in it that the port would be blocked. If there is little or no different in settings it's probably the answer.
In an old Gun World book they had an article on these, I'll see if I can dig it up.

reloading noob
11-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks. The gas port is clean. This was a nib unfired Wildey. I still think its a bad reload..but please send any and all info you can find. Thanks James

deltaenterprizes
11-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I had a 45 Win Mag Wildey that I could not get to shoot a full mag without a malfunction. I sold it to a guy and he told me that all he did was open the gas port and it worked fine.
I bought the 45 Win Mag because factory ammo was not available for the 475 and there was only one source for bullets.
I would try loading the ammo a little hotter.

MtGun44
11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Try a slower powder to bring up the port pressure, or more if you are already using a
slow powder.

Bill

Mohillbilly
12-20-2011, 11:47 PM
I have checked my files on Wildey and did a copy'n-paste . Try 1.580 OAL The .475 works best with 5 rounds in the magazine. The other calibers with 6 rounds. After the gun is broken in you may find the .475 O.K with 6 and the others with 7 but this is not an iron clad rule. The average WILDEY pistol with a barrel from 8” to 12” will work properly as far as feeding, cycling and ejecting with the regulator open from 12 to 14
clicks. Shorter barrels generally need one or two more clicks open ( clock-wise) and longer barrels generally work well with one or two clicks less open ( counter clock-wise).
Keep in mind that each gun is different as you work out the best setting for your gun. Wildey Reloading Data
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.475 Wildey Magnum Bullet Weight
23 grains Blue Dot 230 gr.
21 grains Blue Dot 265 gr.
19 grains Blue Dot 300 gr
16.5 grains Blue Dot 350 gr.

45 Wildey Magnum
22 grains Blue Dot
19.5 grains Blue Dot
Bullet Weight
230 gr.
260 gr.

Overall Cartridge Length 1.580" +/- .005
All Wildey cartridges use large pistol primers.

We have found Blue Dot by Alliant Powders gives outstanding performance in the Wildey cartridges. Blue Dot has a strong reputation in heavy shotgun loads and is a favorite among many for magnum handgun loads. The Wildey cartridges tend to bring out its best. Clean burning! Yes, not only does it push fat heavy bullets fast, it is the cleanest burning powder in our cartridges. This means your Wildey's unique gas operated system will perform as it is designed to shot after shot. We strongly advise resisting the urge to try other powders. Years of trial and experimentation have resulted in the fine loads listed above. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I copyed these above files from Wildey web pages a few yrs. ago . Hope this may help . I still have a Wildey too in .475 and 44 AMP .I did not try their loads yet . Gunbroker had a guy named Jim in Texas that was selling rounds and parts for Wildey and LAR Grizzley . Would be a good place to start to look . Also run a search of the web for Wildey , there are pages still out there ..http://www.wildeyguns.com/support.html

nosqrls
01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I found with my 475 a good place to start is seat reg. against piston just as it contacts slide then back off 6 clicks. that should put you in the ball park then adjust till slide locks open on last round. 12 inch barrel 300 gr. 19gr blue dot. 10 in 5 clicks and adjust.

USAFireArms
04-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Wildey Moore, who designed and launched the Wildey Survivor pistols, is working with a group to bring the Wildey guns back into production. And, I am told, that they will be producing ammo for the 475 Wildey Magnum early this summer. If I have any more details I will post them, but I know they are setting up shop, ordering brass and bullets and otherwise gearing up to produce guns and ammo....

I have checked my files on Wildey and did a copy'n-paste . Try 1.580 OAL The .475 works best with 5 rounds in the magazine. The other calibers with 6 rounds. After the gun is broken in you may find the .475 O.K with 6 and the others with 7 but this is not an iron clad rule. The average WILDEY pistol with a barrel from 8” to 12” will work properly as far as feeding, cycling and ejecting with the regulator open from 12 to 14
clicks. Shorter barrels generally need one or two more clicks open ( clock-wise) and longer barrels generally work well with one or two clicks less open ( counter clock-wise).
Keep in mind that each gun is different as you work out the best setting for your gun. Wildey Reloading Data
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.475 Wildey Magnum Bullet Weight
23 grains Blue Dot 230 gr.
21 grains Blue Dot 265 gr.
19 grains Blue Dot 300 gr
16.5 grains Blue Dot 350 gr.

45 Wildey Magnum
22 grains Blue Dot
19.5 grains Blue Dot
Bullet Weight
230 gr.
260 gr.

Overall Cartridge Length 1.580" +/- .005
All Wildey cartridges use large pistol primers.

We have found Blue Dot by Alliant Powders gives outstanding performance in the Wildey cartridges. Blue Dot has a strong reputation in heavy shotgun loads and is a favorite among many for magnum handgun loads. The Wildey cartridges tend to bring out its best. Clean burning! Yes, not only does it push fat heavy bullets fast, it is the cleanest burning powder in our cartridges. This means your Wildey's unique gas operated system will perform as it is designed to shot after shot. We strongly advise resisting the urge to try other powders. Years of trial and experimentation have resulted in the fine loads listed above. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I copyed these above files from Wildey web pages a few yrs. ago . Hope this may help . I still have a Wildey too in .475 and 44 AMP .I did not try their loads yet . Gunbroker had a guy named Jim in Texas that was selling rounds and parts for Wildey and LAR Grizzley . Would be a good place to start to look . Also run a search of the web for Wildey , there are pages still out there ..http://www.wildeyguns.com/support.html

cowboybart
04-11-2015, 06:18 PM
I had a 10" 475 a while back. Blue Dot is the ONLY powder that will work w/o causing fouling problems. I made my brass from 284 Win brass and inside reamed it. I would avoid cast boolits in this. My j-werd bullets came from Kawser Custom bullets in CT or MA (he made the pin grabber bullets too). It will take 50-150 rds to break it in, and even then it didn't function 100%.
My biggest problem was not reaming deep enough and having a bulge in the brass when I seated a bullet. That brass got the 230gr bullets. On brass that I reamed thoroughly I was able to load the 300, 350 and 400gr bullets.
Loading and shooting for the Wildey is a labor of love with mediocre results.

PS: Stay away from LAR Grizzly too. There parts support is the worst in the business!!