PDA

View Full Version : question about copper sheets

reloading noob
11-26-2011, 02:09 PM
being a noob this might be a dumb question. When looking for copper sheets for gc's what do you want. Will copper roof flashing work? just a thought. I see some sheets for sale here. I have a small supply from a roof repair.

Reload3006
11-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Par Marlin would probably be better to answer that for you than I but as long as its not too thick it should make great checks.

ReloaderFred
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I've been using .010" thick copper foil. The softer the better. The first batch I bought was from the large order that Pat Marlin made, but I believe he's run out. My second order was for a roll from Storm Copper Components: http://store.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/copper-foil--010--thickness---30-guage-copper-foil.html

There are some places with cheaper prices, but Storm includes shipping in their pricing. I figured it out both ways, and Storm ended up being cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PatMarlin
11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Yep- it all depends on how hard it's tempered and how thick it is. You have to give it a try. I would try samples of any metals before investing in it. The only proven AL has been cans and Amerimax .014.

Wish I could get that copper at that price again. Times sure have changed on that.

The most cost effective gas checks are Plain Base checks. Plain base molds are looking like a real good investment these days, with PB dies so you can make your own checks out of cheaper thin metals.

JIMinPHX
12-10-2011, 06:22 AM
I bought my copper sheets from a place called industrial metal supply. They spec the sheets by the pound, but the guy at the counter was able to translate that into thousandths for me. I think that the stuff I got was around .016" thick, but I need to go back & check that.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I bought a pretty good sized roll of .016 copper flashing/roofing.
It's kind of thick, I didn't have much luck with it with a Patmarlins 30 cal tool
but may work for larger calibers.
Jon

fallout4x4
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
the factory hornady checks i have measured .018.... but the real question is what is the measurement on the shank of your boolit?

firefly1957
12-12-2011, 05:51 AM
I have been playing with 40 ga. copper as jacket material it seems to work except I am having trouble filling the base edge out completely. This causes flyers I am thinking if I bevel the base that problem mat be solved. Whether I roll the core in the copper and than swage or center core in copper then push into swage die results are similar. I have only been working with 45 acp so far. Part of my problem is not using pure lead as a core alloy flows less they soft lead. Copper was a 11 inch by 36 inch roll from a hobby shop for $9.99.