PDA

View Full Version : 12 step process HP'ing my .45Colt Boolits

shooting on a shoestring
11-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I drill my HPs using a drill press. The problem is drilling on center. The last batch of Lee 310 WFN GCs came out very well centered by:
1. Placed a 1/2 inch drill motor in a bench vise oriented chuck pointed up
2. Lightly chucked an as cast boolit finger tight
3. Turned on drill, spun boolit, center of boolit is easy to spot while spinning
4. Used a Sharpie about 1/2 way between the edge of the boolit and the center to mark a donut while spinning
5. Moved the sharpie towards the center until a tiny shiny target spot was left
6. Put boolit base on the anvil portion of vise
7. Used a very slender, sharpened center punch to accurately and lightly strike the center
8. Followed up with a large obtuse center punch to make a large divot
9. Set drill press on slowest setting, about 300 rpm, chucked 1/4" drill, set drill stop
10. Put boolit base on top of stationary jaw of drill press vise, holding boolit between thumb and forefinger
11. Gently fed drill into boolit allowing boolit to shift and center under drill
12. Increased holding pressure to keep boolit from rotating, slowly fed drill

Worked amazingly well. Took some time, but got beautiful, centered HPs. Fast enough production for my limited use of HPs.

williamwaco
11-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I like that.

Especially the part about marking the center with the Sharpie.

My motto is use what you have until it doesn't work.

subsonic
11-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Yet another way to do it. I think that the case trimmer HPing video on youtube is the method for me, but just haven't decided that I need a HP.

Reload3006
11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
a no fail way to drill your hps would be to go online to McMaster Carr and order a drill bushing get a piece of pipe steel what ever and drill a hole through it that will center and hold your boolit then make a cap that holds and centers your bushing ... no fail no slip always center.
Good Luck
Happy shootn.

williamwaco
11-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Yet another way to do it. I think that the case trimmer HPing video on youtube is the method for me, but just haven't decided that I need a HP.

I have used the Forster Case Trimmer Hollow pointer for decades. It does an excellent job.

subsonic
11-26-2011, 02:53 PM
The video shows how to use abou any trimmer that takes a pilot to do it. Some require more finess than others, but basically you select a drill that has the same diameter as the pilot's shank and mount it instead of the pilot. Put a loaded round into the trimmer and crank away after setting depth the same way you set trim length. Some trimmers do a better job of lining the cartridge up than others.

mooman76
11-26-2011, 03:34 PM
You can use a 45 brass casing as a guide to center it.

jwmprock
11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Forster makes a hollow pointer accessory for their case turner, seems to center the hole perfectly. I adjust the depth of the drill until x grains have been removed and lock it there, pretty quick after that. Can hand crank or on their newer ones you can do it with an electric screwdriver. Works for me.

shooting on a shoestring
11-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I have the Forster, had it for a couple of decades. Thats the reason I keep looking for something better. The drill bit for it is 1/8" and not interchangeable as with a drill press. I like 1/4" HPs in my .45Colts and the Forster can't do that. Also, I've never been able to get my Forster to center very well. Most of the HPs are off center enough to be easily discerned by eye. Now granted in handguns, thats really not a matter, but I do like seeing mine centered better.