PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Arms quality?

Jim
11-26-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm sure most of you know by now about my nightmare with the Taurus 22 revolver I bought. It's still not back from the second trip to the Miami repair center.

I'd like to get some feedback on Heritage Arms 22 revolvers. I've heard good and bad, but have no personal experience.

The primary purpose of this revolver will be for 'coon hunting. If one is treed at an elevation of 25 feet or so, I would use the revolver to 'untree' him. I don't expect the revolver to shoot 1 MOA at a hundred yards. I think it would be reasonable, though, to be able to shoot a one inch group or so at 50 feet off a rest.

My concern about the Heritage line is that I don't want to go through the same scenario I did with Taurus. I realize that a Heritage is not a S&W. But, I'm on a limited budget and can't afford the best. I'm just looking for a 22 revolver that won't lock up or fall apart on me.

When the 'abomination' comes back from Miami, I plan on having my dealer sell it for me. That's all I'll have to work with in funds. I realize I can only get so much with that little bit of money, but that's where I am.

I just found out that Heritage makes a model with swap-out cylinders and adjustable sights. That would be perfect for what I want. Below is the model RR22MB6AS.

I would appreciate any personal experience with Heritage quality to help me make a good decision.

Thanks, guys!

http://maliaphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/rr22mb6as_lg.jpg

Mk42gunner
11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Jim,

I don't have any first hand experience shooting a Heritage, but one of the AO2's at my last command bought one about 2003, and was satisfied with it. He did know how to shoot.

He said it wasn't Ruger quality; but it didn't cost like a Single Six either, and it shot okay. Just what he considered okay I do not know; but I would take his word that I wouldn't be too dissatisfied with one, if I needed one.

Robert

Jim
11-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks, Robert. I'm going to check on their warantees befoe I purchase one, if I do. I won't buy it if they won't stand behind it.

Tom-ADC
11-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Check Buds they have some good prices on them.

swheeler
11-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Jim; I have first hand experience with the Heritage "Roughrider" I believe it was called, I can sum it up in a single word, junk. I've now got a Ruger single six and love it. FWIW I sold/dumped the heritage to a bartender, then never went there to drink ever again.

Jim
11-26-2011, 10:50 PM
'Bout on the same level as Taurus, huh?

Uncle Grinch
11-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I had a Ruger Single-Six and gave it to my son since he learned to shoot with it. That got me to eyeing another Ruger, but at the last gun show, I saw the Roughriders going between $229 ~ $289, with most around the $249 range. They look like to Single-Six, but feel rougher. Maybe they are worth the money, but I feel like a gun is an investment and it should keep it's value to some degree. I'm not so sure about Heritage Arms. Someone else will have to convince me, I'm not doing it on my dime.

Love Life
11-27-2011, 12:19 AM
You can usually find them relatively cheap. I have the fixed sight version with the interchangeable 22lr/22mag cylinders. It shoots about 7 inches high and 2 inches to the left at 25 feet, but does so consistantly. Aside from that it has been a solid gun that has been a lot of fun. Takes a bit to get used to the safety though.

Sure aint a single six though.

swheeler
11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
'Bout on the same level as Taurus, huh?

My Taurus M65 has fired many wheel barrow full of 357 and 38's nary a hickup, lucky I guess.

KCSO
11-27-2011, 01:06 AM
I got three into the shop and all 3 needed work before I could sell them two wouldn't even fire as the transfer bars were too short to hit the firing pin. nough said

shovel80
11-27-2011, 01:17 AM
My Old Taurus 92 has fired many 1000's of rounds...and will be going back to shoot another action pistol competition tomorrow...Haven't had Any Problems so far...I bought it used over 11 years ago!

Terry

Throckmorton
11-27-2011, 03:31 AM
I wold give the Taurus one more chane beofre buying a Heritage based on the one I shot last year.The barrel was loose in the frame ! In my neck of the woods I"ve seen Mark3 rugere .22's for about the same price as Heritages,and they are waaaaaaaay more gun than the Heritage. imho,ymmv

kyle623
11-27-2011, 08:33 AM
I have that model ordered in the 6.5" barrel, I also bought the 3.5 in bbl birdshead grip model for the wife a few years ago and have had no problems with it. also, my dad has one as a truck gun thats had no problems i've ever heard of. I did have the 9" bbl version years ago, no problems with it but, either the sights were off on that one or i just didnt shoot it enough. It's not a ruger for sure, but its half the price too. also the gunstore i deal with cant seem to keep them in stock and he says he hasnt had any come back. one thing i have heard is you dont want to fan the hammer as the insides arent made of the strongest metal to hold up to such abuse. I did it once with the wifes gun and it still works,but i wouldnt make a habbit of it with any revolver anyway. just my .02

Jim
11-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I think it would be safe to say that, at least once in awhile, every gun mfg'r. makes a bad gun. That means that somebody will get a good one and be impressed with it and the next guy will get a bad one and swear everything they make is junk.

What I'm watching is the PERCENTAGES of each type of experience people have had. Just in 12 responses, it's starting to look like the Heritages belong on the same shelf with the Tauruses.

I try not to classify everything made by "X" mfg'r. I've seen posts where somebody did that and I think "Wait a minute, now. I've got one and mine shoots just fine."

Honestly, I STILL have one Taurus revolver. It's a little .38 +P DAO snub nose and it functions flawlessly. However, I'm not willing to buy another one because of the bad experiences I've had with other ones I've owned. I'm not willing to take the chance.

I have to take into account the percentage of negative appraisals I see on "X" brand before I buy one. Loose barrel, shootin' way off POA, three in the shop, I have to say this doesn't sound good.

I keep hearin' "Single Six". Wonder why? [smilie=1:

kyle623
11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
a single six is about the best single action 22 revolver out there and no one disputes that jim. but , its gonna cost alot more than the heritage and granted if you have the money, I would definitely buy one, you wont be sorry for buying one. but if your on limited funds and not planning on shooting thousands of rounds a month, the heritage is a good gun for the price . If you get lucky, and i mean very lucky, you can find a nice single six for a little over 300 used, but i havent seen many at that price.

Jim
11-27-2011, 10:17 AM
THIS (http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/faq.cfm#q4) ain't good enough for me. I'll hold out 'till I can find and afford a Single Six.

shovel80
11-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Jim, It's Not Likely you'll go Wrong with the Ruger Single Six, or even the Convertible Six with the two cylinders!.....They are Great Guns!!

Terry

shovel80
11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
THIS (http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/faq.cfm#q4) ain't good enough for me. I'll hold out 'till I can find and afford a Single Six.

And...I AGREE...That doesn't make them look GOOD! LOL..

Terry

Tom-ADC
11-27-2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=76598

frankenfab
11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
"CAN I CHANGE MY ROUGH RIDER BARREL TO A DIFFERENT SIZE BARREL?
No, because your Rough Rider was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure. We do not sell Barrels and Frames to consumers or dealers."

What BS!

Jim
11-27-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=76598

$178. You get what you pay for.

canyon-ghost
11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Owning a couple of Ruger handguns, I'd recommend them. Costs me a week's wages and the gun lasts for years. Good American stuff.

AJG
07-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Good decision Jim,

I do not have an Heritage 22 but recently bougth an Heritage Rough Rider in 357 Magnum. Their BIG BORE Revolvers are made by Pietta in Italy but assembled by heritage in the USA.
NOT SO THE HERITAGE SMALL BORE Revolvers. Their SMALL BORE are made by Heritage as it seems.
I looked up some Videos on YouTube of Heritage factory and was turned off right away. Heritage IS TAURUS since it is an Taurus subsidiary (Taurus bought them as confirmed me an Heritage customr Service Agent by Chat. Their Chat is the same as on Taurus Homepage).

However Heritage BIG BORE are made in Italy as you can see on following email comunication I had with Pietta Italy:
Quote:
<<Sir
the main difference between Heritage Rough Rider and all our Single Action is just one: we do not assemble the Rough Rider but the materials are the same for all the guns.
You can shoot .357Mg or 38Sp without problem
Regards

----------------------------------------
Subject: Richiesta informazioni da sito web
Corpo del messaggio:
Dear Pietta,
I just bought an Heritage Rough Rider 357 Magnum blued 5.5" Revolver (single Action). Heritage said the gun is made in Italy but assembled in the USA by Heritage. My question is now if it is the same Revolver as the 1873 Pietta Single Action Army Revolver or if there an Quality difference? On the Internet the Heritage 357 mag has mixed Reviews but the Cabelas model made by Pietta has very good Reviews. Is the Cabelas 1873 made by Pietta and the gun imported by Heritage the same gun? I plan to shoot 357 mag loads from the gun and do not know the material Quality of the gun. As well how does the Heritage gun described above compare to the Ruger Vaquero single Action 357 mag gun in Terms of Quality? Which kind of steel is used on the gun above? As Heritage told me it is not rated for +P ammo neigther 357 mag nor 38 Special. I believe in the good craftmnship of Italian manufacture but if you can Elaborate above questions and specially referr to Quality.>>

Local gun shop sold a few of the Heritage RR 22 LR and had a few Extractor rod breakages as they told me (Extractor lip is made from plastic)
Stay away from heritage 22 LR but you may try their BIG BORE Revolvers since they supposed to be made by Pietta (whatever that is worthed).

Tomorrow I will know more about the Rough Rider 357 mag since it arrives tomorrow (I do not have it on Hand yet).

rond
07-31-2016, 09:10 PM
I heard that Taurus bought Heritage. If so the quality will get even worse.

leveraction 45 colt
08-01-2016, 12:11 PM
lol its funny all this smack about heritage arms! well I own three, two big bore in 45 colt with 4 3/4in barrels and one in 22lr/22mag with 6 1/2in barrel I will say this the two big bore pistols are very nice way nicer than their 22 models and they shoot very well! the front sight it real tall on the 45c's and they tell you they may shoot low but to file the front sight down some to adjust to raise the poi. no problem I like it that way for my reloads I can set it where I want it at the yardage I shoot! now for the 22 combo model the 22 mag shells shoot very accurate with 50gr bullets and will soon as it cools off be trying the 40gr loads but the 22lr shells certain ammo wasn't as accurate but did find one that performs and that one for my pistol is the Remington golden bullets shoots well with those but as far as the 22mag goes it is super shooter!! I was told by a another guy on a different forum that the combo models have a 2 thousandths bigger bore than the 22lr only models and that's why 22 mag performs better than some of the 22lr but overall these are good pistols I haven't had any trouble with these three and would buy more... :) p.s. if you buy it in 22lr only I suspect it will perform much better bein if the bore is slightly tighter that it will be less finicky about ammo!

Walkingwolf
08-01-2016, 12:30 PM
I never heard the rifling was tighter on the LR, but the chambers on the mag cylinder are larger than the LR. LR is a healed bullet, Mag is not. The accuracy difference may be that the Mag has more bearing surface. That said I have no use for the 22 Mag for around the yard. I have bigger bore revolvers for duty that needs more umpf. If the Heritage are as accurate as my E15 I say they are a bargain.

victorfox
08-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Taurus has the Reverse Midas' Touch... turns everything it touches into poop.

AJG
08-01-2016, 08:57 PM
I got today my heritage Rough Rider (Pietta 1873) 357 mag. What a nice surprise. I like it already more than my 9mm. That SAA designs recoils less than a 9mm (Winchester HP 110 grain White box 357 mag factory ammo. My reloading Equipment for 38spl/357 mag hopefully arrives this week as well as the bullet molds since there are not commercially availlable bullets for 357 mag) and if let rolling there is None recoil with These Wood/steel grips. Old beats this time any plastic 9mm semi Auto pistol. No signs of cracks or damages after firing 12 rounds (each 357 mag/38 spl round costs here about 1.2 US$ and that is the cheapest ammo. Each 9mm factory round costs here about 0.75 US$ cheapest ammo). Shoots low but rigth on if I do my part (has to be Held in the middle of the front post in order to shoot rigth on spot) but with reloading every Charge is different so Kentucky hold will do it all. Works perfectly and has a nice Trigger. Just time will tell about the durability. But it seems to be built well and no Play in cylinder (cilinder has actually good chunk of steel so I believe it will stand regular 357 mag loads. I greased with liquid spray grease the gun all over and I am happier with it as I thought I would be (although I hate blued guns because they rust. Unfortunatelly stainless is not very often imported since they end up 3 times the US Price here and nobody can afford). In the USA that gun costs about max 400$ (more like 350$ on a good deal) and here I paid about 700 US$ for it (and it was on "laughable" sale. It is just a joke those local gun Prices if it would not be that sad). I hope nothing breaks since obviously NO Warranty. But Heritage told me if somthing breaks I just call them and they will send me the spare part (that works very nice as I have done it alredy with Mossberg like that). The concussion (I feel the pressure in my face when the round goes off) is higher than in 9mm and the bang (loudness) is as well higher (earmuffs do not stop the "bang" like in 9mm or 22lr.

leveraction 45 colt
08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
congrats ajg I used to load the 357mag and I used a lee mold 158gr tumble lubed bullet and 7gr greendot and this was very accurate and wouldn't blow you hearing out you can shoot this one without ear plugs infact I have the mold I believe if you want i'll check and give you the part number of that mold? I used lee alox and didn't even use a sizer either just casted, lubed them, and then load it, shot well in my used to be ruger pistol! :) plus I bet you'll love that heritage big bore isn't they nice?? :):)

ironhead7544
08-02-2016, 08:03 AM
I really like revolvers but accuracy has always been a crapshoot in 22lr. If you can find a 50ties K22, go for it.

Otherwise, the Ruger 22lr semiauto is the way to go. Never had one that wouldnt shoot. Look for a used one. Also, the S&W 22A is overlooked. A used one would be cheap.

I heard there is a steel framed version of the Rough Rider. Might be OK.

KCSO
08-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Once ordered three Heritage 22's for the shop and two didn't work right out of the box. No more for me.