PDA

View Full Version : Source for .380 sizer die.

marvelshooter
11-26-2011, 09:11 AM
A while back I asked for advice about a .38-55 that was key holing at short range. I received a lot of help including some boolits to try. The best results were with ones that measure .380. I bought a Lee mold and cast some that are .381 and now I would like to lube and size them. I have a Saeco and all the dies I see are .378 or less. I guess I could tumble lube and try them as is but a loaded .380 is already snug in the chamber. So - any ideas?
Thanks - Dan

j20owner
11-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Does Bullshop still make size dies? Been a while since I've been on here much.

Ranch Dog
11-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Buffalo Arms makes custom dies for the Saeco.
380 Die (https://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=163665&CAT=3863)

Nobade
11-26-2011, 09:43 AM
In that situation, I make Lee style push through sizers (or buy one from Michael above if his will work) to size the bullets, than dip lube them and cut the lube off with a cartridge case or other thin tube. No lubesizer needed and nice straight, round boolits.

MtGun44
11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Polish out a Lee push thru die with a slotted dowel and 320 wet or dry.

Be careful with your crimp. I was overcrimping ever so slightly and raising a ring just below
the crimp. When I backed off the crimp a touch, I had less chambering issues.

Bill

JFE
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
There's a couple of guys on the forum that make special sizing dies but not sure about Saeco style. I bought several from 'Buckshot' a while back and I'm very happy with the quality and prompt service.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Sometimes at that diameter a thousandths or so is very critical to chambering in some 38-55s. Think about your alloy and if it is possible to reduce the antimony content a little. You would be surprised how you can shrink a bullet changing alloys, and in the 38-55 hardness may not be critical to shoot well.

BvT

marvelshooter
11-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Quick update. Just for fun I loaded one as cast and it chambered okay. I then lubed some with melted bullet lube in a tin can and scraped the excess off with a washer that just fit over the boolit. I loaded them and they shot pretty good but this pan lubing is messy. I am going to try some Lee liquid alox next and maybe I won't have to size them after all.
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.
Dan

rintinglen
12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Lee will make you one of their push through sizers. As I recall it costs 25$ plus shipping for a custom sizer.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
You won't believe this, but it really isn't a big deal to hand lube bullets. It is even easier with a thinned alox wash and no GC. 38-55 is generally a pretty easygoing cartridge to load for. A 4895 range of powder for smokeless, or slightly compressed black. A hard bulet is not truly needed, just a little hardness for what you are doing. A mild primer. Good shooting on paper, deadly on deer.

BvT