PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Taking Apart a Pedersoli Gibbs muzzleloader

jeep
11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Just got a new Gibbs the other day... I decided to take the action apart to make sure nothing had been overlooked by the factory. Have 2 areas of concern:
1. There's a screw on the breach plug opposite side of the nipple that I tried to remove, and it refuses to budge. Am using gunsmith's screwdrivers...still won't budge. Is it acceptable to remove this screw, or is it meant to stay in permanently? if the screw stays in there, can i still properly clean the gun? If the screw must be removed, is it acceptable to pour penetrating oil down into the muzzle and let it sit working from the inside out to loosen the threads? Will this oil if left in too long have an effect on the breach plug threads?
2. i have a question about how to remove the trigger guard--I undid the one screw that goes thru the trigger guard into the pistol grip. do you pry up to get the trigger guard out of the wood pistol grip? how does the trigger guard detach from the trigger plate?

451 Pete
11-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Jeep,

I replied to your private message but just received a call from another shooter with a bit more info. The trigger guard can be removed by first un-screwing the sling swivel just ahead of the guard and then turning the guard counter clockwise to remove it from the threaded hole in the trigger plate.

Hope this helps ... Pete

Hang Fire
11-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I think that is only a clean out screw. Remember them on Pedersoli Mortimer, and was like TIGHT.

docone31
11-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Those are the first thing I swap out.
When I can get them out, I replace them with Grade 8 allen screws.

calaloo
11-27-2011, 08:26 AM
As I mentioned on your other thread the screw on the left side of the breech plugs a hole that was used in manufactoring. It is not intended to be removed. Go to http://www.researchpress.co.uk/ For all the answers to all things long range muzzleloader. Don't Bubba a fine rifle.

Chill Wills
11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
calaloo is right and correct on all points but I will say that I do remove the screw from time to time when I really want to clean out the flash pathway under the nipple. By removing the screw you can wash out the patten breech end by pumping water in and out with a tight fitting patch on a rod while the barrel is in hot soapy water and then run a pipe cleaner through the screw hole and accress the patten breech into the flash pathway, turn the corrner up into and out the nipple hole. -With the Nipple removed of course.

Some might not want to and that is fine. I make a practice of it and feel the rifle shoots the better for it.

And for what it is worth, the Pedersoli Gibbs is a very accuracte rifle with a patched bullet 535gr at 0.448" and 89grains Swiss FFg. You can find this bullet at Buffalo Arms web site. 20/1 or harder I found best.:drinks:
They will bump up and take the rifling for sure, you want them hard so they do not bump too much and set back the nose into the rifling.

All the best,