PDA

View Full Version : Ejector?

stealthshooter
11-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Have any of you tried using an air ejection system for your swaging?

stealthshooter
11-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Nobody has tried this?

GRUMPA
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
You gotta remember its a holiday weekend.

DukeInFlorida
11-26-2011, 09:53 AM
You mean for SHOOTING the swaged bullet out of the swaging die?

Talk about the need for safety glasses.!!!!!!

I wouldn't think it was practical.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2011, 10:30 AM
the bullets I swage (pistol 40 cal and 44 cal), it takes
nearly as much pressure to eject the bullet as it does to swage it.

so with that said, could you imagine using air to swage the bullet ?
If that'd work, we could eliminate the handle/lever and linkage on a swage press.
Jon

MIBULLETS
11-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Sounds dangerous at first. Maybe you could give us more details on how you think it can be done?

BT Sniper
11-26-2011, 01:14 PM
OK. I have thought about using air pressure a bit. Are you talking about using "air" to eject the bullet from the die? Or using air pressure to drive the ejection pin the ejects the bullet? I have offten wondered if teh big name bullet makers use air or somthign to eject their bullets. Like for instance teh Sierra match king bullets. I can see an ejector make on teh tip of the bullet and it is so small!

I have a set up that uses air pressure to push the ejection pin and eject my pistol bullets or seated cores from core seat dies. Works slicker then snot. Don't ask to see any pics of the set up though. :) It is pretty tame compaired to my air press used to size jackets with.

BT

GRUMPA
11-26-2011, 01:30 PM
BT when your talking mass production the only thing air was used for was to move things around (like tooling from one place to another). Something like that hydraulics were used only for the fact that you can regulate the amount of force much easier with hydraulics than with air. Air can be compressed to easily and much harder to regulate.

We had a complete robotics area and except for blowing the chips out of the way the rest was all hydraulic.

stealthshooter
11-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I was wondering about either way...using just air and also using an air ram as the ejector. Using just air does not have to be dangerous by any means. If you had a quick burst of air to dislodge the bullet while the punch is still in the die there would be no way for the bullet to exit the die. It might need to be pretty high pressure but I don't think it would need to be a huge amount of volume. I have also been looking at small air rams. There are some on Mcmaster's that are around $30 that should fit the bill nicely.