PDA

View Full Version : Lube heater for a newby

LenH
11-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Has anyone tried one of these for a lube heater?
Kat's 24025 25 Watt 1"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater. They
are an oil pan heater for small equiptment. They are relatively cheap,
less than $20. The only problem with this particular heater is that I
can't find out how hot the thing gets.

williamwaco
11-24-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't know. It would certainly soften the lube but you would need to control the heat by plugging and unplugging it.

I have a Lyman 4500 with the built in heater and I have to unplug it for about ten minutes of every 15 to keep the lube from just melting.

I had a lot better luck with just a plain ol incandescent lamp. Start it close to the lube. When it gets too soft, move the lamp back until it starts to get too cold than move it closer a little and you will be set.

mooman76
11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm sure it get's plenty hot. We used something similar to that up in Alaska. Like he said you would have to plug/unplug it. A hair blow drier also works as well as allot of other things that have been tried here. It doesn't really take as much as you would think.

LenH
11-24-2011, 11:10 PM
It was just a thought. I have a heat lamp that my son had stuck back. He is a snake collector.
I will probably stick with that.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2011, 12:16 PM
my casting room is usually 60º or colder in the winter.
so I use a heater for most lubes during the winter.

I have a piece of steel sheet metal under my lubesizer.
I put a cheapo Magnet car engine block heater (for cold climates like MN).
I bet it's very similar to your Kat's heater ???
I start out with it close to the lubersizer,
then when warm, I move it as far from the lubsizer as possible...maybe 7" away
but still on the steel plate...and that seems to be just right.
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/rightsidelowered900x840.jpg

Pigslayer
11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
A piece of sheetmetal & a $5 iron from the thrift shop will work. Just put it on low.

bobthenailer
11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Ive been useing a old C&H adj heater for a lot of years ( disconued ) with hard lubes from various sources and have found you need a temp between 85 to 105 degrees .
I use a auto a/c type therometer that i drilled the heater base for and insert it into the base to moniter temp . also after turning on heater wait about 1/2 hour for everything to stablize and start at 85 and adj temp up to see what workes best for you !

Freischütz
11-27-2011, 04:26 PM
With hard lubes a plain old 100 watt bulb or a heat lamp like they sell at the pet store is all you need. Warm the sizer/lubricator up to about 95 ºF and you're set to go.

adrians
11-27-2011, 05:50 PM
well i don't know how hot it gets but i know it's hot,,,,,,
this model works great on my old lyman 45 ($12 +shipping =$18 from e-bay) works great.:coffeecom

DLCTEX
11-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Why not use a dimmer switch to control the temp?

adrians
11-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Why not use a dimmer switch to control the temp?

now thats a great question but a not so great answer,,,,,,[smilie=l:i wouldn't know where to start... :oops:
honest i don't how to do that kind of thing :oops:

is it easy for a non- electrically inclined person such as myself? (he asks hoping the answer is yes[smilie=l:)
thanks'''''' :twisted::kissarse::evil:

Echo
11-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Easy as can be. I just made one for my Potter Cute Little Pot (holds 4 lbs) with a double socket and a dimmer in a double box. One socket is straight through, the other has the dimmer in one lead. Piece of cake...

adrians
11-28-2011, 09:45 PM
hhhhmmmmmmmmm, i can do that ,:twisted: :bigsmyl2: :evil:

canyon-ghost
11-28-2011, 10:18 PM
That's how dimmers work all right, only wire into one side of a closed circuit.

A bit of luck for you,
ron

adrians
11-29-2011, 08:24 AM
well my wife MADE me take down the living room ceiling light and gave me a big box which had a fancy fan/light gizmo and ASKED ME TO SWAP THEM OUT, humm!
so i got up in the attic and mounted a plate ect,, and followed the destructions and now i have a remote fan/light in the living room,, amazed the snot out of me it worked,,
and this was about 6 weeks ago and that thing is still up there and works :veryconfu.
a dimmer ,,piece of cake,,,,
yer we will see,,:bigsmyl2:
:twisted:[smilie=1::evil: