PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45

Keith Sacane
11-24-2011, 04:23 PM
I have always used the Lee sizers and tumble-lubed bullets, but I found my Dad's old Lyman/Ideal 45 sizer the other day, and I wondered about trying it out. It's filled with some really old lube-probably 40-50 years old-and it doesn't move. It probably hasn't been used since the 50's. I would assume that it's just old hardened lube. Everything looks to be intact, but it's missing the wrench. I would need to purchase some sizing dies and top punches. I think it has a .30 sizing die in it right now.

I've been contemplating buying a lyman, rcbs, or star sizer, but since I have this one now, I'm wondering if I should just fix it up and use it. Would this sizer work well with swc's in 38, 44, and 45 cast from wheelweights? I have a mixture of lee and lyman molds. I don't really need to install gas checks very often, and my lee sizers do that well. Do these old Lyman/Ideal 45's work well?

dromia
11-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I would clean it up and use it, I am very fond of them and have a couple on my benches.

They are not as robust as the later versions but in my mind are better sizers, so long as you don't try and size boolits more than a couple or three thou at a time it will work very well.

Boiling it or using a heat gun will get the old lube out and make cleaning it up easy.

11-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I agree with dromia. I have one and would certainly buy another.

bruce drake
11-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I use a 6.5mm socket on a 1/4" socket wrench on top of my Lyman 45.

Bruce

44 WCF
11-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I used a Lyman 45 for a long time, once you get new lube in place that will flow ok, I' think you'll enjoy that sizer. I just had to make sure I used a softer lube or a with a lamp for a little heat.

SharpsShooter
11-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I use mine a lot and would buy another. Disassemble, clean, reassemble and load it up with your favorite lube. They work fine.

SS

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-24-2011, 09:35 PM
my 2¢

I prefer the 45 to others,
But I can see the advantages that other members
have stated about the newer lymans being stronger.
Anyway, Heat it up with a heat gun, or boil it in water
in a large pan, then disassemble it, then it won't be such
a mystery to you on how it works, it's quite a simple lubesizer.
I think you will learn to like it.
Jon

williamwaco
11-24-2011, 09:51 PM
DITTO to all the above.

I have owned and used the 45, the 450, and the 4500. All are good machines.

Pigslayer
11-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a #45 & am looking for another. They will use the newer Lyman sizing dies with the "O" ring. For some reason I like the #45 better than the #450 that I have. Clean it up and you will be pleased. It will size anything that you want. Lucky you![smilie=1:

Keith Sacane
11-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was hoping it would be a decent sizer. Harbor Freight has a heat gun on sale right now for something like $7.00 or so. I'll get it set up and order some dies and top punches. Thanks again.

Ziptar
11-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I used Lee sizers and pan lubed all my bullets for year or so. I got a 45 a couple of months ago and bolted to a Midway heater.

I've been using it to size 45 Colt bullets and lubing with White Label's Carnuba Red.

Nice thing about the Midway Heater is it's long and has an aluminum cover over the heating element. I set an aluminum bowl with cover on it and fill it with bullets. By the time the press is ready to go the bulets are warmed up so the lube fills and adheres better.

I love the 45, I don't plan on pan lubing any more, in fact I sold my Lee Push Through Sizer.

Pigslayer
11-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I used Lee sizers and pan lubed all my bullets for year or so. I got a 45 a couple of months ago and bolted to a Midway heater.

I've been using it to size 45 Colt bullets and lubing with White Label's Carnuba Red.

Nice thing about the Midway Heater is it's long and has an aluminum cover over the heating element. I set an aluminum bowl with cover on it and fill it with bullets. By the time the press is ready to go the bulets are warmed up so the lube fills and adheres better.

I love the 45, I don't plan on pan lubing any more, in fact I sold my Lee Push Through Sizer.

That's a definite A++ for the old #45! I like my #45 better than my #450.

fryboy
11-25-2011, 02:30 PM
like jon and dromia i too prefer the 45 , but a word of caution - the harbor freight heat gun is great for cleaning it but not so great for merely warming it to use with a hard lube , a heat lamp or even a regular lamp puts out more heat than most need , a soldering iron or even a blow drier would be better IMHO and all are a little easier to regulate the heat with than a hi-heat type gun , most lubes that require heat do not actually need that much heat per say , and congrats on a good tool score !!!

Keith Sacane
11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about the harbor freight heat gun just for cleaning it. I had been thinking about getting one anyway. For the price, I figure I can't lose. I hadn't thought much about getting a heater for the sizer, but I could. Do y'all recommend a heater? I was wondering about using a soft lube that didn't need a heater.

Pigslayer
11-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about the harbor freight heat gun just for cleaning it. I had been thinking about getting one anyway. For the price, I figure I can't lose. I hadn't thought much about getting a heater for the sizer, but I could. Do y'all recommend a heater? I was wondering about using a soft lube that didn't need a heater.

I use the original Ideal lube & SPG lube without a heater. They are a little sticky but there are no problems. Then again my equipment is in a heated room . . . not hot . . . just enough to take the chill off then I turn the room temp up when I'm in there. Just remember to take the pressure off the lube reservoir when not using it.

fryboy
11-25-2011, 03:12 PM
i have 3 45's , two with softer lube that needs no heat ( except perhaps in our umm wonderfully wicked winters ) and one that is filled with a "heat" only type lube , i also have a 4500 and a rcbs LAM , the 4500 has the heater and it too has a harder lube , the LAM i use with soft lube , in my experience softer lubes can be a lil messier but they work pretty good , some of it boils down to personal preference , of note if i ship a few boolits to a friend lubed they'll be lubed with a harder lube ( survives the jostling,vibrating trip better IMHO ) likewise if i plan to store a few lubed boolits i usually use a harder lube ,it honestly does boil down to preference tho , of not even some soft lubes seem to apply better when either the sizer or boolits are warm
no matter the type of lube pigslayer is right about remembering to take the pressure off of the piston , i forgot once ( at least lolz ) and plugged it in to warm up and had the purtiest long thin ribbon of lube from the top and bottom of the sizing die ( oops )

hydraulic
12-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I have my wife's old stick type hair dryer that looks like a piece of pipe with whiskers sticking out of it. Laid down along side my Lyman 45 it keeps lube just the right temp.

Keith Sacane
12-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks for all your help.

jcwit
12-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Clamp on light with a reflector, some call them brooder lamps, I use a 100 watt bulb at about a foot to foot and half away.

Yup, just like Ben Stein, I have a closet full of the old incandescent bulbs.