PDA

View Full Version : to lower the bench press 550RL or not?

max it
11-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Ya,

My Dillon is on a table saw on a stand. See pic.

A while ago I lengthened the legs to bring the table up higher. Only my 550RL is now so high with the strong mount that I cant see directly into the cartridge being loaded, hence I have had a few squib loads. I have a small mirror on it but...its lousy.
My other 450 is much better to see as it doesnt have a strong mount. Should I remove it? Any ideas?
Much obliged, Max

Alvarez Kelly
11-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Either remove the strong mount or lower the table... Seems to me both the 450 and the 550 should be about the same level, unless you use one very infrequently...

Walt
11-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I would, in some fashion, set both the presses at the height that is comfortable to load with them. However, the first thing I would do is to find out why I had a squib in the first place. I have loaded several hundred thousand rounds on my Dillons and have never had a squib load. BTW, I rarely look into the cases at the seating station.

Dan Cash
11-25-2011, 07:57 AM
I would, in some fashion, set both the presses at the height that is comfortable to load with them. However, the first thing I would do is to find out why I had a squib in the first place. I have loaded several hundred thousand rounds on my Dillons and have never had a squib load. BTW, I rarely look into the cases at the seating station.

+1. I built my benches high enough to negate the need for a Storng Mount. If I needed to look into each case, I would be using a single stage press. Use powders that flow and perform routine maintenance on your press and measure and you won't have squibs.

chambers
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I use a bench that is desk height 28" that I made, that works well with Dillon 650, Dillon SL900 both with strong mounts and has RCBS single stage press and lubesizers on. I use an office rolling chair and with wheels, comfortable setup. I like to see what is going on to make sure every pull of the lever results in a good end product and to see when trouble is headed your way.

max it
11-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Hmmm, I was just set to lower the one on the strong mount after Al told me to have them both at the same level. Now i am not so sure...developing...

Much obliged, to Al and friends,

Max

HeavyMetal
11-25-2011, 01:07 PM
A lot of this depends on wether you sit or stand when you run the Dillon.

I stand and set the 450B I have up so it was comfortable to use, for me, at the height that worked best for me.

As you can tell this is very subjective based on both user height and comfort level.

I have found guys with bad backs tend to stand to use a progressive, guys with bad knees sit and guys that have both problems spend a lot of time trying to talk the better half into doing all the work LOL!

As for looking into the case at the powder charging station? Mine 450B is set up woth a pair of small diamond shaped mirrows which, sit up like a periscope, allow me an instant view into the case as I sit the boolit on proir to rotating the shell plate to the next position.

In the end it's you that will have to decide where and how you set up the Dillon for your comfort.

max it
11-25-2011, 01:18 PM
HI Heavy, I was scratching my head about the squibb problem. ONe poster suggested it never happens to him. Maybe I need to send my presses to Dillon to refurb and calibrate. I have noticed new ones are smoother. Both mine are bought used and updated by me, with Dillons help.
I both sit on a neat bar stool type seat that raises and lowers as needed. But mostly I stand, I do have a special mat to ease the strain. My Dad who stood at a worktable used to use cardboard boxes flattend to stand on. My wife saw me doing that and bought me this special mat one year at Christmas.
Maybe I will move in a year or so and then I can decide which I like better as I redo the strong mount height or the table height, right now I am undecided.
Much obliged,

Max ( I shoot at Evan's and Raahagues, do you also?)

376Steyr
11-25-2011, 05:35 PM
As for the squib, keep an eye on the assorted inkages that push and pull on the powder measure. It is possible for the linkage screws to back out, things pop out of their proper sockets, and suddenly your bar stops moving back and forth. Burrs on the powder bar and certain extra fine grained powders can also gum up the works. I try to watch the powder measure bar as it goes back and forth for every case, but don't always succeed. Coarse grain rifle-type powders can also "bridge" in the funnel and not drop the entire charge into the case. Lastly, you might have just gotten out of sequence and pushed a primed case past the charging station. Not that any of these things have ever happened to me during the loading of thousands of rounds on my 550.[smilie=1:

max it
11-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey So Idaho, I am leanin' towards lowering them. Which is the vexing problem of more equipment than I should have. Stuff I didnt need. Not for sale, just lying around, like the strong mount should I get it off. Who knows next set up might call for it. You got stuff like that? I count five different presses, countless adapters and attachments, and dies, and lube/sizing dies etc. Thanks for the heads up on the squibb loads.

Much obliged,

Max

Kevin Rohrer
11-25-2011, 08:15 PM
You could get a stool that raises you up and sit on it, or
you could get some sheets of wood and place them on the floor and stand on them.

max it
11-25-2011, 08:35 PM
hi Kevin,

Yes I have the stool. I will try raising it all the way and see. But I have one press at bench level. And you know what, I am loading 45ACP's on it now, and it reminds me that I like that reach; I dont have to bend to lower the knob or stretch to see whats in the case. But I will try the stool. As I said further up, I am getting a large supply of parts I dont use. So a stool would make me not want to lower the press.

Much obliged,

Max

HeavyMetal
11-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Max:
I live in North OC and shoot at Burro canyon in Azusa.

I usually take employee's out on a special shoot at Burro becase they will let me rent a range and run it myself.

As I've gotten older I've found I'm a lot more fussy about the stranger next to me at the shooting bench than I used to be so I find having a range under my control.....comforting.

I've been to Raahage's once, Phaesent hunt, went well but was never as impressed as most others with the facility. This was back before he had his bird population die off in the early 90's.

Might set up a shoot come mid January, pending weather and i'll stay in touch.

max it
11-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi H.Metals,

I resemble the age and concern. Funny I always thought of Burro as a bit freewheeling as opposed to indoor at Evan's or outdoor at Raahague's. But if as you say you are able to control the situation that is best. I shoot indoor at least three times a week and outdoor twice a month.
At Raahague's I don't shoot shotgun but rather pistol in one of the steel matches. Anyway please do keep in touch.

As to the presses I am going to upload the pics. I lowered the 550. Afterall it was only a hour and one HD trip for bolts. I can always put it back. I think I like it this way although all I have done so far is a test case.

Much obliged,

Max

max it
11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
HI,

I am glad I opened this thread, it helped me think thru the ramifications of a move.
So here they are; not quite twins,
Note I am 'get ur' done' type. If it doesnt happen all in one day I feel unrequited.
Much obliged to all, and as always comments, criticism, encouragement and wit humbly accepted, or is it excepted :?:

Max