PDA

View Full Version : 44 Henry rimfire ??'s

Who's this Guy ?
11-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Gentlemen: A friend of mine who is a "young dinosaur" in his mid 30's who doesn't believe in or use computers asked me because he knows I use computers was wondering if anybody makes the ammo these days or the rimfire cases? I looked on the usual websites but found nothing on it. Does anyone have any leads or is it just a pipe dream that somebody out there is making new stuff.
Thanks

bob208
11-24-2011, 01:56 PM
not that i know of. about 15 years ago i was at an auction and a opened box about half full went for $300.

Grapeshot
11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Back in the Late 1950's to early 1960's Navy Arms came out with their Henry rifles. The first batch was in rimfire as a Historicaly Accurate Replica and a limited quantity of .44 Henry Rimfire Ammo was produced and sold. Who made the Ammo is beyond my limited memory and this whole tidbit was something I read in passing some 40 years ago. It was unique enough to be processed in my memory but could probably be documented somewhere on the internet.

Reg
11-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Unless you find some collectors ammo you might be out of luck. At one time I think it was carried by the Old Western Scrounger but just checked his site and no more.
Good luck

:coffee:

cdet69
11-25-2011, 04:32 PM
The 2011 October issue of Handloader magazine has an article on making obsolete rimfire ammo from modern cases.

MtGun44
11-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Best bet is to do the Handloader trick. Pretty cool deal, really.

Bill

Who's this Guy ?
11-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will forward them. The handloader magazine on the making of cases sounds interesting. I would like to read that one myself.

John 242
11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I remember reading that rimfire ammo has a shorter shelf life than centerfire ammo. Something to do with the priming compound. Not sure if it's a fact or simply a myth, but it's something to bare in mind if you happen to come across some .44 rimfire.

Anybody out there shooting 40 or 50 year old .22 rimfire ammo?

Grapeshot
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
The 2011 October issue of Handloader magazine has an article on making obsolete rimfire ammo from modern cases.

I know that .41 Magnum brass has been used to replicate .44 American. This was the center fire version of the .44 Henry. If you choose to do this, then the bolt must be converted to center fire.
[smilie=b:

John Boy
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
* From brass pound stock, make as many cases on the lathe as desired
* In line with the firing pin, mill a hole to fit a 22 blank
* Reload the case - insert blank - chamber - fire

Grapeshot
11-27-2011, 11:10 AM
* From brass pound stock, make as many cases on the lathe as desired
* In line with the firing pin, mill a hole to fit a 22 blank
* Reload the case - insert blank - chamber - fire

Thats a good one JB. Dixie Gun Works used to offer them ready made. They will force you to use the rifle as a single shot.
But that's better than not being able to shoot it at all.:groner:

NickSS
12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Actually a 44 henry rifle is way more valuable as a collectors item than a shooter. About 40 years ago a friend of mine bought an old house in New York state and found a trunk in the attic with uniforms, weapons and accouterments for two Union Calvary men. There was a Sharps carbine in almost new condition and a well used Spencer model 1860 in 5656 caliber. Also there was about half a case of RF ammo dated 1878. We took the Spencer out and shot about 100 rounds off and had about 10% that would not fire. The rest went off with very solid bangs and so so accuracy. We then found out that the individual rounds were worth about $1 a piece and 7 rounds in a cardboard boxe were worth about $35. So my buddy quit shooting them and sold them to an ammo dealler for enough money to buy several hundre 50-70 shells, a bullet mold and a CF Breach block from Dixie Gun Works. He used that rifle for the next 10 years for deer hunting and then sold it during a divorce. I know for a fact that he killed 7 white tail deer with it.