PDA

View Full Version : Bens Red

41 mag fan
11-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Made up some Bens red last week, and tried it out this morning on some 196gr 45 boolits I'd cast up the other day.
Talk about ease of use.
I'll never go back to hard lubes again.
Now to see how they shoot!!

Hopefully it'll do good on my 500 & 44's when I lube some of them up tomorrow

I've got 66 tubes of Rooster Lab Zambini in the for sale section if anyones interested in it.

Ben
11-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Keep us posted please.

Ben

41 mag fan
11-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Sure will Ben. So far I'm liking what I've got lubed. Tacky, but it doesn't wipe out of the lube groove when I run my finger across it.

Ben
11-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Sounds like you're there.
Now we'll see what your targets and the bores of your firearms look like.
I think that I already know.....

41 mag fan
11-24-2011, 07:10 PM

I'm hoping it wont rain tomorrow so I can find out. Wife asked me on our way home from families, what my plans were tomorrow....she has to work....
so I told her it goes like this....
4am.. get up and finish lubing the other 3-400 boolits I have left.
8am take a nap
10am go load some up
12 am start shooting
2am go take a nap
4 am get up and feel like **** the rest of the evening!!

All I got was the eye roll, and a you're pitiful mumble out of her.
Dang life sucks!! :-P

6.5 mike
11-25-2011, 02:53 PM
If I start out the back door my wife doesn't even ask anymore :bigsmyl2:

41 mag fan
11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
If I start out the back door my wife doesn't even ask anymore :bigsmyl2:

I hear ya there. I got 3 places I go & the wife don't ask whats up or anything. I go out to the garage she knows I'm going into the shop. I go out the back deck she knows I'm getting ready to toss some lead. i go out on front deck, she knows i'm getting ready to throw some rounds into my side yard targets. I open up the garage door, she know I'm getting ready to shoot the targets in the side yard with some new loads I worked up.
She pretty much has me figured out.
ohh and I forgot...she knows when I go out on the front deck at night I'm getting ready to pee off the deck......:veryconfu

41 mag fan
11-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Got the 45's loaded today.
I loaded 49 loads of 5.3gr of BE.
At 15yrds my group was good, but not great.
But that is my fault, between having to accomodate my knee and setting up less than perfect due to it.
Groups were 1 1/2 to 2" spreads.
I shot 5 groups of 5 normal for group placing, then 2 full mags of 7 at rapid fire.
Afterwards I went in and ran a swb down the barrel. there was a small streak about 1/2" of lead on the barrel.
That could be though, I didn't let these cure totally. I just cast these boolits up either Monday or Tuesday.

Digger
11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving ..... Hey there Ben ! .. been a while since I mixed up a batch of your " Bens Red " .
Have yet to use it with rifle calibers but so far it has been real good on my pistols ....
Just today I lubed up a batch of Mihec's 158 gr hp's and put about a hundred rounds down range with my 586 ... Haven't cleaned it in a while any way and looked in the barrel when I got home .... nice ! ... just a powder speck or two .
Accuracy is on the mark , arrived at the range and being the day after the holiday the pistol side was full so I went over to the rifle side ... the closest berm being fifty yds.
somebody had left two or three plastic coffee cans on it ....... perfect for my Smith , .. was bouncing those cans all over , fun watching those go up and over the berm with one shot later on .

so far so good with your mix there Ben ! ... haven't done rifle yet because of finances but will get there sometime .... Thanks

digger

Ben
11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Digger, 41 mag fan :

Glad you guys are enjoying Ben's Red. If I thought I could be shooting a better lube, I'd have already changed, long ago.......but I like it, I'm not changing and I recommend it to all of you also.

When people are making money off their comments, you better look out. Catch is here, ..........I'm not making a single cent off of my comments and observations about the lube.

Best to all of you, good shooting......,

Ben

41 mag fan
11-26-2011, 06:39 AM
You're correct there Ben. I'm thinking it'll do just fine. That lead smear could of been there and I missed it from the last cleaning. Or it's from the lack of cure time. I don't think it could of been anything else.
I'm curious as to how it'll stand up in my 500 though.

Ben
11-26-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a friend that shoots the lube in a .500 S & W.

No runs, no drips, no errors, no one left on base.

white eagle
11-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Ben
what is your lube ?
I must have missed it
My application would be for 45-70 rifle
my 50/50 is running short

Ben
11-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Here it is :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81031

41 mag fan
11-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Friday I got my .501 sizer back from Lyman. When I ordered it and tried it out it was undersized, and I sent it back in to Lyman. Sized and lubed 50-60 boolits friday then loaded up.
Was able to get out saturday. All 50-60 I loaded were shot using everything from AA9 to Lil Gun to Titegroup to H110. Up to within 1 grain max load, 450gr and 410gr boolits. 15 only were GC's.
These boolits have cured for 3 weeks+. I didn't see any grouping difference, but i was shooting on the 50 yrd line due to the 25 yrd line being full. Pee poor eyes I'll blame the groups on, not the flinching.
But I got it home and cleaned it up......no leading.
The 45 ACP having that streak of lead had to be due to length of cure time. Few days vs a few weeks.
It'll now be interesting to see what it'll do with my 480 and 45/454 SRH's.
I would say I know that answer after seeing what my 500 looked like.

Ben
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Bravo ! !

Ben