PDA

View Full Version : .30 Herrett

Lonegun1894
11-24-2011, 03:20 AM
So i finally got to take my new to me .30 Herrett barrel out and try it. It is a 10" TC Contender, with a 4x Simmons on top. I loaded up some 165gr .309 Meister RN/FPs I bought years ago and that none of my guns seem to like on top of a few grs Unique just to get myself on paper, and while these shot into 1" at 25 yds, they also leaded up the barrel pretty badly. As an interesting aside, a friend happenned to stop by and wanted to try shooting the Herrett, and standing off to the side, I could actually see the boolits flying all the way to the target--yes, they were that slow. I then ran a few patches and tried a load I got from the Sierra Handgun Reloading MAnual 50th Edition, consisting of 2400, that per the book would get 1850-1900fps with a 150gr condom bullet, but I replaced it and used a Lee 150gr FPGC sized to .311". These loads went into .5" at 25 yds, 1.25" at 100 yds, and not only did they not lead the gun up any, they cleaned out what little lead I couldnt get out with the patches after shooting the .309"s. I know this was my first time out with this barrel, but I am impressed. And I am honestly shocked at the accuracy because I attempted to seat the bullets out far enough to engrave, but the throat on this barrel is so long that I can literally seat the boolit just barely touching the lands, then chamber an empty case behind it and the boolit doesnt extend far enough back in the throat for the base to touch the case mouth, much lessa actually seat in the case. Based on what I have read, the TC barrel is supposed to have 1:14" twist, which I'm sure helps it not lead up, but do y'all think I should just be happy that I got lucky and got a shooter in spite of the LOOOONG throat, or would you look for a boolit mold that is long enough to seat in case and still engrave the rifling? I am inclined to say be happy and just use it, but I also have very little experience with Contenders so still have a lot to learn. Thanks Y'all. And Happy Thanksgiving!

rhbrink
11-24-2011, 06:28 AM
I believe that I would be inclined to just shoot and enjoy, I had a 14" Contender in the 30 Herrett a number of years ago that I used in handgun silhouette and it shot very well with both cast and condon bullets. With your 10" barrel and the 14" twist I don't think that a longer heavier boolit will help you much if any. If anything maybe a fatter boolit like something designed for the 303 might help fill up that long throat that TC is so fond of using.

Richard

excess650
11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I had a 10" 30 Herrett years ago and it was surprisingly accurate with 110gr and 125gr(?). I recall my powder of choice was IMR 4227 with these weights and IMR 4198 with the 150gr. It had a long throat, but shot as well as I could hold it, shooting from bags. This was 30 years back, but I know I had some sub 2" 200 yard groups with a 5x Burris.

I never tried cast in that barrel.

dk17hmr
11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm running a 200gr and a 175gr cast bullet in my 10" Herrett. You can really push them hard my 175gr is chronoed at about 1750fps. I didnt have much luck with light bullet on paper, they worked great for getting people away from me at the range though.....the muzzle blast and flash is amazing though.

One of my favorite chamberings, I was told that I wouldnt like it but its alot of fun, after you get case forming and trimming all figureed out.

Tonto
11-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm wondering if the new NOE 247 300 Whisper cast design would shoot like a poor man's 300BLK out of a 30 Herrett TC barrel. Mine are dropping at 241 grains in wheel weight metal and I'd love a suggested starting load from the peanut gallery. I'm tempted to use 300 BLK data as case capacity seems similar and at the low end are low pressure. Any thoughts? Happy Thanksgiving.....

dk17hmr
11-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I need to try it in my Herrett, I will probably load it with Unique or Trailboss just to see.

redneckdan
11-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm wondering if the new NOE 247 300 Whisper cast design would shoot like a poor man's 300BLK out of a 30 Herrett TC barrel. Mine are dropping at 241 grains in wheel weight metal and I'd love a suggested starting load from the peanut gallery. I'm tempted to use 300 BLK data as case capacity seems similar and at the low end are low pressure. Any thoughts? Happy Thanksgiving.....

Figure out the case capacity with a bullet seated and take 70% of that as your starting load.

TCLouis
11-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Like dk17HMR I have found my 10" 30 Herrett to bark a bit.

Shooting beside a shooter who was testing heavy 280 AI loads in a rifle with a muzzle brake I opened up with my AA1680 loads in the Herrett.

After several shots a fellow range member commented that I was really giving the 280 AI shooter a run for his money.

I do have some recently cast RD 165s aging right now to be tested in the Herrett, 7.7X58 and 06

felix
11-24-2011, 01:17 PM
The 10 inch, 14 twist Herrett barrel shot one inch groups at a hunnert with the 311291 with 18 IMR4227 back in 1978 or so. ... felix

DHB
11-25-2011, 12:35 AM
If it shoots well, go to town. Remember the old adage, "if it aint broke DON"T fix it"!
DHB

Lonegun1894
11-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Thank you all, but if anyone has any advice, please keep it coming. DHB, I totally agree with you, but seeing as I have tried two loads so far, and both have been given very small groups, I cant argue, but am still curious. I mean, if the slow load that leads like crazy is still very accurate, and the warmer load that doesnt lead a bit is even more so, then I can't help but think that there may still be room for improvement--even though this pistol shoots better than some rifle's I've had. Then again, I cant hold well enough to make use of the accuracy it gives me now without a rest--yet.

Wayne S
11-25-2011, 09:33 AM
OK ,.309 sized leaded, .311 sized didn't , you need to slug the throat to see what you need to size to.
Next, you need to determine if the twist it 1-14 or 1-10. The cleaning rod method should show which one it is, T/C started off with a 1-14 when they thought everyone would follow "the leader" and use a case full of 4227 and a 110 gn. bullet. Enter metallic silhouettes and people started trying to shoot heavy J bullets, and finding them hitting paper sideways at 50 Yds. T/C started using 1-10 in all their 30 Cal.
Like the man said, If it ain't broke , DON'T try and fix it