PDA

View Full Version : Interesting results with the BFR....

saz
11-24-2011, 01:06 AM
I got to the range tonight, the last time before I go to the sandbox again, and if you remember my last post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133183 I was having issues with leading. My wife suggested I get one more range trip in before I leave so off the close in-town range again. It was a cool 1*, dry, no wind, but the sun was going down and the only damn eye pro I had were my tinted Oakleys- oops.

The load was 30.5grs 4759, CCI 350, Mountain molds 550gr boolit. The only thing I changed was the lube- dip lubed in straight ALOX. After cleaning the gun, there was no leading found and cleaned up with a few patches. Turns out the lube I was using is garbage in this application. I took a little bit to warm up with my 44mag, then pushed the target out to 50 yards. I have troubles focusing in failing light sometimes and tonight's results were a little strange.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_82574ecdcbfeabfab.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2796)

As you can see the groups are TIGHT(each group is circled with a pen), but they went all over the place. I was attempting to re-zero the sights, when I realized it was not moving due to some frozen something in the rear sight. But, why was my POI changing from group to group? I am pretty sure it was me- the combination of a black background, failing light, and tinted lenses I was not keeping the same POA. Those are some of the smallest groups I have ever fired. I think I am going to treat myself to an Ultra Dot when I get back.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_82574ecdcf3e60d1c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2797)

My 2 favorite handguns. I am glad I got the BFR shooting a little better before I left.

Love Life
11-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Good job. Be safe over there.

Frank
11-24-2011, 01:48 AM
You've got the load. Now go offhand and adjust. The high group looks like you relaxed your hold. Was it the last group?

saz
11-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Good job. Be safe over there.

Thanks, I will.

saz
11-24-2011, 02:56 AM
You've got the load. Now go offhand and adjust. The high group looks like you relaxed your hold. Was it the last group?

Actually the oppisite- the first. I got a little too used to the grip on my SBH, and after the first shot, I stuck with it just to see how it would be- painful is the answer. Anything but a very firm grip just plain hurts. I had a hard time with my grip with how cold it was- It took a good 45 minutes to get all the feeling back after I left.

At first I thought I was shooting all over the place and not even hitting paper looking through binos, until I walked up to the target and got a first hand look and I couldnt believe it.

subsonic
11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Good luck over there. What a crappy time of year to go, not to mention a drastic climate change for you. Thank you for your service.

Looks like the BFR is shooting! It could be grip that's causing the shift, but I think it was the way you were seeing and lining up the sights with the poor light. I can imagine you had extra concentration with the poor conditions and were doing a good job of lining the sights up, but the changing light conditions were making the sights appear in different places for you.

Was the sun going down somewhere to your left?

JudgeBAC
11-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Be safe.

missionary5155
11-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Happy Thanksgiving... Remember to duck. As my old tank platoon sarge was fond of saying.. "Ammo is cheap, expend lots of it".
I look forward to getting out my BFR when I get up north this coming June.
Mike in Peru

44man
11-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Actually the oppisite- the first. I got a little too used to the grip on my SBH, and after the first shot, I stuck with it just to see how it would be- painful is the answer. Anything but a very firm grip just plain hurts. I had a hard time with my grip with how cold it was- It took a good 45 minutes to get all the feeling back after I left.

At first I thought I was shooting all over the place and not even hitting paper looking through binos, until I walked up to the target and got a first hand look and I couldnt believe it.
A great job but yes, eyesight, now you just need to combine that with my shakes! :veryconfu

saz
11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Good luck over there. What a crappy time of year to go, not to mention a drastic climate change for you. Thank you for your service.

Looks like the BFR is shooting! It could be grip that's causing the shift, but I think it was the way you were seeing and lining up the sights with the poor light. I can imagine you had extra concentration with the poor conditions and were doing a good job of lining the sights up, but the changing light conditions were making the sights appear in different places for you.

Was the sun going down somewhere to your left?

Actually it was to my front left. How can you tell?

saz
11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Happy Thanksgiving... Remember to duck. As my old tank platoon sarge was fond of saying.. "Ammo is cheap, expend lots of it".
I look forward to getting out my BFR when I get up north this coming June.
Mike in Peru

Good words to live by there. I am an artilleryman, so I am fond of it too- there is no such thing as TOO MUCH steel downrange. I LOVE MY JOB! Jumping out of airplanes, and blowing stuff up- what else could be better! Every round that goes out of the tube is essentially a handload so it satisfys my hobby a bit.

Last night when I was finishing up, 3 young guys came in and were sending 9mm downrange at a mindblowing pace. I wear electronic earmuffs so I could hear the comments on the 500. One of them hollered at me, "Hey sir, is that a 357?". I just snickered a little and showed them a couple of loaded rounds I had left. Holy $%it was the only thing that came out of their mouths. So I asked them if they wanted to shoot it. Their jaws dropped. Gave them a quick class on how to hang on to it and operate a single action pistol- one kid actually hit a clay pigeon that was out there about 15 yards. After that I let them finish up what I had left of my 44mag loads, and all they could talk about is getting themselves "handcannons". They thought it was a blast. I think I may have hooked a couple more. It was a lot of fun watching them.

44man
11-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Actually it was to my front left. How can you tell?
OH YES, the sun position can move groups all over with open sights and EVEN SCOPES. I made a test a few times with just a scope locked on a bench. I sighted it dead center on a 200 yard target in the morning. I checked every 15 minutes without touching a thing. The cross hairs went up, then right, then down, down more, then left, then up and eventually went back to center. I would estimate movement was over 10" in a circle.
The scope never moved but the target appeared to move so if you shot at what you seen, you would only hit it twice, early and late.
This does not count mirage or wind.
Many shots are taken at a target that IS NOT THERE!

saz
11-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah, the groups moving around kind of blew my mind. I couldn't wrap my head around it, but it makes sense now.

Most inexpensive place to get an ultradot? I want either a UD30 or a matchdot- I think the 2moa dot would be good to have....

DanWalker
11-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Looks plenty accurate enough for antelope, buddy.....hint hint. :)

saz
11-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Looks plenty accurate enough for antelope, buddy.....hint hint. :)

HAHA!!!!! ABSOLUTELY! OR, A Kodiak bear...... hint hint. It seems I will be back in time for next years season so all my tags are going in next month.

44man
11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Ultra Dot West is a good place. They have paid postage. Larry's Guns is good but you might have to pay postage.