PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought you had seen it all

hedgehorn
11-24-2011, 12:59 AM
I cant imagine what some folks are thinkin
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-Lead-Dipper-Ladle-Lead-Bullet-Mold-Casting-Melting-Pot-/310360331945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4842ead6a9

mooman76
11-24-2011, 01:06 AM
But it's vintage and a rare find. Making out on shipping too. It should only cost a couple bucks most.

Buckshot
11-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Lee Lead Dipper Product #: 161177 Status: Available $3.99

............Hard to figure one person bidding on it when the shipping on the Ebay auction exceeds the retail price at Midway. However there are 2 guys battleing back and forth and now have the price up to $16.63 with shipping :shock:[smilie=l:

I hate to even think of a THIRD guy who figures he'll be smart and wait toll the last few seconds so he can blast them ALL away with HIS bid!.

...............Buckshot

Love Life
11-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Southern Son
11-24-2011, 02:10 AM
^^^^

That is all I can say, too. I have got to have some old rubbish around here that I can unload, and then over charge on shipping, too.

Ronbo256
11-24-2011, 02:20 AM
I wonder what's wrong with my Lee dipper, I only paid $3.99 plus tax for it, I must have gotten an inferior one.

sqlbullet
11-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Factory sales has them for $3.28. You guys at $3.99 are overpaying about 15%.:smile:

Lefty SRH
11-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Sometimes its about the "WIN"!

P.K.
11-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Sometimes its about the "WIN"!

Yeah, they have a 12 step program for that. ;-)

williamwaco
11-24-2011, 09:56 PM
It is not "What are these guys thinking?"

The question is what are you guys NOT thinking.
You could be getting prices like that on EBAY for your stuff too. Occasionally.
I have tried selling stuff on EBAY and occasionally get ridiculous prices but often get no bids at all.

Sometimes it is just endless re-listing fees.

John Boy
11-24-2011, 10:11 PM
This guy thinks he found buried treasure ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyman-Ideal-Hand-Bullet-Mold-32-20-Cast-Lead-/380356459128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588f02fa78

GLL
11-24-2011, 10:54 PM
John:

But it just "has the usual surface oxidation" ! ;) ;)

The missing HP pin will be an extra $50.00 on next week's auction ! ! :) :)

Jerry

41 mag fan
11-24-2011, 11:13 PM
I got some old Hornady 45 cal GC's that i threw back in the pot and remelted the lead.
I oughta be able to at least get a buck apiece for the GC's.

They look vintage, after being heated up...kinda like maybe from the civil war times.
[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

MikeS
11-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Well, the first auction listing is just crazy, BUT it's not due to the seller, and his shipping charges are not out of line. He's going to send it for under $5.00 which I think is a fair price. Don't forget, the post office doesn't base it's prices on how much something is worth, but how much it weighs (or size if using flat rate priority mail). Other than for insurance charges, they would charge the same for a Lee dipper as they would for a diamond ring!

As for the second auction listing, that guy is not a caster, he's a person into 'antiques' either professionally, or otherwise. He has other stuff listed at crazy prices too, and of course they're either 'Vintage' or some other buzz word used to raise the prices. Hey, it's a free country, he's free to ask any price he wants, and buyers are free to either buy his stuff, or walk away from it. Personally I don't think he knows anything, as with the Lyman tool he's selling he suggests cleaning it up with a wire wheel, which is something NO antique collector would do, as that would diminish it's antique value (if it has any), and as boolit casters, we know that a wire wheel shouldn't be anywhere near it!

As some famous person said "A fool is born every minute" or something to that effect.

Bullet Caster
11-25-2011, 11:34 AM
All I can say is wow. Some people think that if they include a buzz word like "vintage" the price is automatically elevated to an antique value which may or may not be in line with the actural value of the thing being sold. It's a free country and anyone can charge whatever they want to. When I run across things like these, I usually just laugh and move on. Sometimes I'll add it to the watch list just to see if it sells and usually not--it gets relisted. It also gives the seller a false sense of security when he views his item to see how many people are "watching" his item. I do this all the time esp. for items that are greatly overpriced. BC

josper
11-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I have backed away from bidding on items more than once because some knotheads bid way beyond what the item is worth.I think some people just hate to loose.

Rangefinder
11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
My rule for ebay bidding is A) How bad do I need it, B) how much to buy it elsewhere at the same or better condition. Then I set my max bid about 10% lower than that counting shipping. I'm usually outbid pretty quick and then I just shake my head at the stupidity that evolves. Once in a great while I get what I need at a fair price--but not very often. WHY? Because people are STUPID, and I can accept that so long as they stay away from me. Probably why I hang out HERE so much--it's hard to find good company... ;)

sqlbullet
11-25-2011, 01:31 PM
I have purchased once from e-bay in my life. For the DSL modem I am using right now matter of fact. I decided what I would pay, and found an auction with a buy it now price below my maximum.

Clicked buy it, paid, and then got the sellers contact data.

He literally lived 1/4 mile from my house. I go by his house regularly on family walks. Small world after all.

Needless to say, he waived the shipping.

In general I avoid the place. This auction is a perfect example of why.

1Shirt
12-02-2011, 09:11 PM
There is one born every min so they say!
1Shirt!:coffeecom