PDA

View Full Version : SSI-One

jim4065
02-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Anybody familiar with these? I know Mossberg quit making them - but I don't know why. There's a .30-06 on one of the auction sites and if it can be made to shoot well I might go for it.

Bent Ramrod
02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Jim,

It seemed Mossberg had some teething problems with the SSI-1, and by the time they were resolved and the guns were being shipped, the company just gave up on them. There was a lot of mostly enthusiastic writeups in the gun magazines over the preproduction samples, a long wait for the guns to hit the market, and when they finally did, the news was only word of mouth, with no ads or promotion of the rifles by the company, at least from what I could see. Weirdest piece of marketing since "New Coke," and a shame, as they are pretty nice rifles. A friend has one in .223. It's a little barrel-heavy, but it shoots very nicely, and, to my taste, looks more like a single-shot rifle should than the incredibly popular H&R/NEF's.

If the price is good (my friend got his at a remainder-sale price) it would be worth getting as a collector's item, if nothing else.

longhorn
02-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I handled one in a shop recently--struck me as "clunky" like most Mossbergs, for want of a better term. I was tempted, mostly just to use it as a project gun, said project to involve rasping/sanding/scraping off the excess wood on the beast. The wood looked like birch(!) and there was plenty of it. Don't mean to sound so negative--may shoot wonderfully--just struck my eyes as a sort of kit to be finished.

dakotashooter2
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
I looked at them a bit but found them "chunky" as well and a bit heavier than I cared for. If they had sized them similar to or even just slightly larger than thompsons TCR I probably would have jumped all over one. Many of the accuracy reports from shooters did not match what the "experts" were claiming.

jim4065
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Yea. They do look fat - but who am I to talk? GunBroker has this one - 67843172 - in a heavy barrel .223, but it seems steep at $500 for a Mossberg. Appears to come with a scope and bipod - but a break-action bipod must be a clumsy beast. Looks like the only thing is to wait for a Ruger #1 at a good price. Probably going to be a long wait.