PDA

View Full Version : Anybody work on old scopes?

NoZombies
11-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I've got an old Mossberg scope that's in good shape, but kinda hazey. I know I can't fix it, but if someone knows how to clean the optics on such a thing, I'm sure I could find something to trade to make it worth their while.

Anybody want to take on the project?

elk hunter
11-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Believe it or not, there is a book about repairing rifle scopes, and as I recall has information about fixing haziness.

"Guide to Riflescope Repair" By Dr. J.W. Seyfried isbn 0-934639-00-0

Might see if you can find a copy.

tacklebury
11-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Heard of a couple. Some pretty specific about brands:

Parsons Scope Service offers target and vintage scope repair. No web presence. PO Box 192, Ross, OH 45061. Tel:513-867-0820.

Optical Services Company; Bill Ackerman, 5489 Santa Teresita Drive, PO Box 1174, Santa Teresa, NM 88008. Telephone (505) 589-3833. Scope modification and repair

scb
11-24-2011, 12:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=51220
I've never had need to use them but subscribed to the thread "just in case".

NoZombies
11-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'll have to mull this over...

In the mean time I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone on board already has the hobby of fixing old scopes, and is willing to work trades...

11-25-2011, 12:06 AM
I've delt with Parson's Scope Service. They are great! Call'em.

Multigunner
11-25-2011, 01:32 AM
I've had some sucess in dismantling. cleaning, then reassembling waterlogged scopes and binoculars that spent years under water. I've also cleaned and repaired both Gallieo and Newtonian telescopes, but I'm a long way from being an expert on optics.

If the crosshairs come loose its a devil of a time getting them re-oriented.

If you decide to give it a try on your own, I've found that cleaning with lens cleaning solutions is often counter productive. These usually have an anti-fogging ingrediant which will turn cloudy after a few weeks or months. Then you have to go in and clean it again.
I use straight rubbing alcohol without additives to clean lenses.
If even a tiny spec of dust is left inside it can look as big as a thumb.

Dutchie
11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm also a glass jar junkie, but in another corner,photography.

What do you mean with
kinda hazey ?? like a mechanical unsharpness or like on the inner side some stuff that doesn't belong there like moisture or even worse a mould (common on camera lenses which I buy today for almost peanuts.

If you want to do it yourself ,dismantling is the easy part,putting it all back is another thing ,crosshairs are the worst.
If there is a coating on the glass it's best cleaned with camera lens cleaner, if not like multigunner says plain alcohol works best.

Tip of the day , use a box when u dismantle it in ,on the bottom white paper for the escaping parts so U can find them easy instead of searching the complete floor/room (had that one myself) or even put it in a plastic bag and dismantle it.

If you decide to do it yourself , be sure to do it in a dry room en let everyting become dry real good so it doesn't become cloudy afterwards.

Ok long story and hope your looking jar comes out ok.

Hans.