PDA

View Full Version : Liking 45/45/10

btroj
11-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Tried someon my version of 45/45/10 lube today.
No leading after 200 rounds, good accuracy. Was very easy to make and apply.

I heated the paste wax, measured by eye, and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Added the Lee liquid Alox and swirled the pan to mix.

Initially I just drizzled the still warm lube on the bullets to give first coat. Added NO mineral spirits. Didn't have the solvents cooked out of the paste wax enough I think as it took too long to dry. I had time so I let the bullets sit for a few days. Ran em thru the Star just to size em. Second coat was applied after rehearing the lube, still in sauce pan, the adding a smudge of mineral spirits. It was again applied while till pretty warm. This coat dried much quicker.

I can see that I am going to need ore LLA to mix up more. I was using a Lee 158 swc for 38 specials. This was the standard groove bullet, not the rumble lube version.

Thanks for a great idea Recluse. Your photos on how much to use were also very helpful. I may have used a little too much but it worked awesome.

Brad

kelbro
11-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Warm bullets make it dry much faster.

geargnasher
11-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Brad, if you need some more LLA mail me a $5 bill with return addy and I'll be glad to fix your problem.

Gear

onesonek
11-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Warm bullets make it dry much faster.

Certainly helps,,,also as Recluse said,,,,something chemical going on with the MS.
Using it here in the summertime down in the basement, 65 degrees/70% humidity, mine are dry in a half hour or less. Winter time basement is 70 degrees and 35% humidity, it's about 15-20 mins. But I do warm the boolits and lube also

GaryN
11-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I like it too. I don't use it exclusively but it works great when I use it.

Boolseye
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Good stuff, yah yah.