PDA

View Full Version : Stapler

Ickisrulz
11-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Not really an equipment post, but didn't know where else to put it.

The range here in Las Vegas I shoot at uses tape to affix targets to target boards. Has anyone seen that practice anywhere else? I sure haven't. There's no prohibitions against using a stapler (I do), but they set out tape for patrons to use free of charge and that's what most people use. I just find it strange and wrong.

Jim
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Tape is cheap. People will steal staplers.

Ickisrulz
11-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Tape is cheap. People will steal staplers.

That's true. I guess people are cheap too. I'd rather bring my own stapler and staples than use tape. Staples work better.

Mk42gunner
11-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I ran a lot of range quals when I was stationed at NAS Fallon (and before that), and have used just about everything I can think of to hold targets up.

Tape works, but not a lot of fun when the wind is blowing.

Staples are a lot faster than tape, but again when the wind is blowing you need a lot of them.

Wallpaper glue works about the best, if you have target cloth backers (and don't want to save the targets).

Spray adhesive works well with paper targets, with a couple of downsides-- saving tagets, and expense.

Mainly I agree with Jim-- Tape is cheap, people will steal staplers.

Robert

I forgot about thumbtacks. The less said about them the better.

R

vmthtr
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
<SNIP>

I forgot about thumbtacks. The less said about them the better.

R
Besides they make a good target you mean??

darkroommike
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Our indoor range uses thumb tacks, when I first started shooting I rarely hit the 3 inch bull on the target but could shoot out one of the thumbtacks by accident every target.

afish4570
11-24-2011, 12:49 AM
That's true. I guess people are cheap too. I'd rather bring my own stapler and staples than use tape. Staples work better.

For IDPA or IPSC cardboard targets where several overlapping targets are use we use the longer staples and nothing moves after a few of these.afish4570[smilie=f:

Baja_Traveler
11-24-2011, 12:56 AM
I use my own stapler since the ones at the range don't work half the time. When it's windy I bend the staple tabs on the back side of the cardboard together and the targets never move.

btroj
11-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Our target backers are fiber board. Tape wouldn't stick very well at all. I use my own stapler.

Have never shot at a range wherr any materials were made available. I use what i bring or I go without.

I use 1/2 inch staples at all times. They hold so much better than the short ones. I also buy the tag board targets rather than the cheaper paper targets. The heavier paper is much less likely to tear in the wind.

Jim
11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
God has blessed Janet and I with some land out in the middle of nowhere, so I have my own range. My target board is faced with a piece of 3/8" plywood. I use 1/4" staples and they're a lot easier to pick out with my pocket knife when I'm done with the target.

shotman
11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Tape works good on the campaign signs. after election day the bad losers dont pick them up.
I have about 40 and they last a long time if you keep them stored out of sun light

zomby woof
11-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Our range uses Homasote as a backer. I've found that push-pins work great. I reuse my target and staples come out hard and end up ripping the paper.

1hole
11-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I've always gotten best accuracy when using SWINGLINE brand staplers or tan masking tape, they are the best. Cheap Chineese staplers or blue tape seem to degrade accuracy. ;)

357 Voodoo
11-24-2011, 11:09 AM
The one range I use to shoot at used blue foam board target backers and toothpicks to hold targets. worked good and lasted for a good long time.

DCM
11-24-2011, 12:39 PM
The dense foamboard backers seem to hold up very well and are self healing to a point. The "vital area" can be cut out and replaced with a small piece of the same for more use. Glue in or press fit.

Wallpaper paste is great for long term use on targets that will get "repair centers".
Staples are great for short term use with most backings.

The "hammer tacker" type staplers do not work well with the foam type backings.

The best staple gun I have found thus far is the Powershot "forward action" stapler, it is easier to use for long staples and hard backings, it has also outlasted every other stapler I have ever broken. :sad:

Green Frog
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
The indoor range @ Roanoke, VA used tape for years, but most of us in the Bullseye League brought our own staplers to use instead. I haven't shot there in several years so I don't know what's up there these days.

The new indoor range in Lynchburg, VA only sells large targets. The don't use backers, rather have a flat horizontal bar on the target runner to which the target paper is affixed with a pair of "Bulldog" clips.

Then there are the outdoor ranges that use chicken wire as "backers" and to which the targets are attached either directly or on cardboard backers with clothespins.

I guess it comes down to "whatever works!"

Froggie

Mk42gunner
11-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Besides they make a good target you mean??

No, when you are running anywhere from 30-50 sailors that can't shoot and think they can, it is a PITA to try to teach them how to put up a target. much easier to tell them "Hold the target up and don't get you hand in the way."

Robert

Reload3006
11-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I have used both I much prefer staples. But if it holds the target up why not?

hiram
11-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Markham Park in Florida uses masking tape on corners to tape the backer to a steel frame that is stuck into the ground. From there you can use staples or tape to attach the target to the backer.