PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Jammer Six
11-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I've been watching a couple threads about trimming cases with interest.

And it occurs to me that a drill press could be pressed into service. (Forgive the pun, it's late.)

How would you set one up so a cartridge could be set in the "base", the drill press lowered to trim (and possibly chamfer, all in one step) to the correct length, and then move on?

If it were efficient enough, it would be worth doing on cartridges that usually don't get trimmed. Like .45 ACP, that headspace on the mouth.

I notice that .45 ACP loading manuals all have a trim to length, but nobody I know trims them, the common opinion being that it's not worth the effort.

So if the effort could be minimized, and a very efficient system built using a drillpress, would it be worth it?

TNsailorman
11-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Jammer, one of the reasons that you don't find too many people that trims the straight wall cases like the .45 acp is that straight wall cases grow very slowly. Once they are trimmed (I trim mine on the first reloading and rarely need to again) they will usually not grow too long to need trimming before case failure takes place. But if you need a trimmer that works with a drill press, Forster scratches your itch. They make a set up for drill presses and is their item # PT1010. Works off standard drill presses and uses the spindle lock to set depth of cut. Just go to forster on the search engine and you find Forst listed. It retails for soemthing like $80.00 but you can buy it a little cheaper at the discount reloading supply stores like Graf's or MidSouth's. James

shotman
11-23-2011, 09:50 AM
You have acouple problems
one is how to hold the case and 2 is the cutter.
brass is soft and a drill press would be hard to do a light pressure
the power trimmers like Lyman and RCBS take care of both and a lot less space. they are cheaper too if you get a used one
it has primer pocket cleaner too

Safeshot
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
The lee case trimmer (cutter) and appropriate caliber "stud" work very well in a drill press. Be sure the spindle travel is long enough for the cartridge case for best results and ease of operation. Chuck the case trimmer (cutter) with stud installed in the drill press chuck. Set the table and the spindle stop so that the spindle stop will stop the spindle when the stud "just touches" the table. When adjusted correctly the spindle "vertical slack" or clearance should allow the chuck and the mounted cutter and stud to be lifted off of contact with the drill press table when the spindle handle is held fully "down". Hold the cartridge case with a pair of pliers with leather padded jaws, place cartridge case head firmly against the drill press table. Run the drill press at the slowest speed at first. Lower the spindle with the stud into the cartridge case neck and "trim" the case. Use a "light" touch and let the cutter cut "smoothly". Deburr by hand. This works very fast and is accurate. This works well for trimming resized cases (30/06 to 8mm Mauser, 30/06 to 7.65mm Mauser, 30/06 to 7.7mm Japanese, 8mm Lebel to .41 Swiss, ect.) which is a lot of "trimming" without cutting the neck off first.

Ozark Howler
11-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Check this out, should answer your question...enjoy

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=700292

flashhole
11-23-2011, 06:55 PM
This is my drill press.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/DrillPress.jpg

I use it with the Lee 3-Jaw chuck and the Lee Case Length Gage

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/3JawChuckinpress.jpg

If you are interested I will sell my like-new Forster tool that is used with a drill press.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/ForsterPowerCaseTrimmerforDrillPres.jpg

Jammer Six
11-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks, gang!

TNsailorman, I suspected it was something like that, I've never trimmed mine, but I've never sat down and thought about why, either. I believe I'll start trimming on first reloading, as you suggest.

I see the Forster product, and Flashhole, how does your cue ball work, and how is it better than the Forster?

hk33ka1
11-24-2011, 01:19 AM
I find it easiest to trim with my Lee Zip trim and cutter with ball grip.
If I wanted to get real fancy with my high volume trimming I think I would buy the Giraud trimmer from Texas. Most of my straight wall cases don't grow, but shrink.

I do use a drill press like the one shown to run all kinds of case prep tools too. I leave it running and hold the cases up to the tool, instead of spinning the case, since I would have to turn it on and off to load each case in.

flashhole
11-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Jammer - The "cue ball" is the Lee Ball Handle Cutter. It works with the Case Length Gage (the shaft that is screwed into the cutter). The case length gage has a pin on the end that goes through the flash hole in the case and bottoms out on the anvil (in the photo above the bottom of the 3-Jaw chuck is the anvil but the Case Length Gage comes with the shell holder and anvil. The exploded view of the Lee system is in the photo. The anvil fits a 1/4" nut driver. I like the ball handle cutter because it is easier on my hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/Reload_15.jpg

flashhole
11-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Here it is assembled. I also like the 50 BMG case deburring tool (larger one shown in photo), again, it's easier on my hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/Reload_16.jpg

As to Lee being better than the Forster. Can't honestly say it is any better, just different. The Forster holds the case and the trim length is set with your drill stop on your drill press.

Jammer Six
11-24-2011, 09:13 AM
I think I see.

So the case length gauge (part of the kit?) determines the trim-to length?

And I'd need a case length gauge for each caliber?

(Makes sense.)

flashhole
11-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Yes and yes. The Lee system is dirt simple to use but a lot of folks claim it is hard on the hands.

flashhole
11-24-2011, 09:20 AM
They call the anvil the lock stud and it comes with the cutter. The shell holder and length gage come together as a set. The shell holders work with the lock stud.

TNsailorman
11-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Jammer, the set up that "flashole" is showing you is a great way to go and much cheaper in the long run. By the way flashole, great photos to illustrate your method. I use the same basic set up but with a electric drill clamped to a Sinclair powder measure stand with a large hose clamp instead of a drill press. I don't currently have a drill press but that might change real soon, like maybe Christmas. It works either way and if you already have the drill press, I would go with his method. A drill press has the added benefit of being able to set the drill speed which should be kept fairly low to trim brass. By the way, you can buy those wooden balls at local flea markets or thrift store and drill and glue then to you cutter yourself. Either way you can't go wrong, all 3 methods work well and are a big leap over continuely changing settings on the RCBS, Forster, and Lyman, etc. case trimmers. Just my opinion, you understand. Reloading is a great hobby itself, so why not have fun with it. James

flashhole
11-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I found wooden balls on evilBay and outfitted all my cutters. I seem to have accumulated quite a few over the years and have the ball handle cutter set up for each cartridge. What I like most about the drill is I can polish the case with steel wool or real fine emery paper. I also use a brush to clean the inside of the neck while it's in the chuck. Like you said, to each his own. Prior to the drill press I used a cordless drill. The drill press is better and I strongly recommend a foot switch if you go that route.

Jammer Six
11-24-2011, 04:57 PM
I guess I should have said that yes, I already have a bench top drill press.

And I have a lathe, and can turn nice wooden balls.

But saying that just sounds wrong.

1hole
11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
"I found wooden balls on evilBay and outfitted all my cutters."

Golf balls can actually be useful; I put my Lee cutters in them. They also make pretty good file handles. Used golf balls can be picked up cheap at thrift shops.

ruckerduck
11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
How do you set it up with a golf ball?

deltaenterprizes
11-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the board ruckerduck!

bobthenailer
11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
One segestion before trimming any brass reguardless of caliber you must first size the brass !as it grows in length after sizing. most pistol brass grows about .010 in length after sizing , then check the OAL to see if it needs trimmed and then trim to factory trim to length if needed.