PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Swag Die Business - Need some input

coltac
11-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Hello everyone. I am starting a new bullet swaging die making business, and would like some feedback from this knowledgeable community. The reason that im starting this business, is that its something that im simply passionate about, and i happen to have some nice equipment. I got into long range shooting several years ago, and have had several 1000 yard + shots on big game and coyotes alike. I became interested in bullet design shortly after getting into shooting those long distances.
So, here is my inquiry for all of you serious reloaders out there. When i start this small business, what kind of dies would you guys purchase (not assuming that you will, but what kind would you buy if you were interested in doing so). I have CNC machines, that will be able to build die reamers with relative ease, so the dies will cost considerably less than say, corbin or an outfit like that. Im not sure what i will charge for a set of dies, but im thikning somewhere near the 350-400 range for a flat base die set.
The dies that i planned on making would be .224 Using fired .22LR jackets, some Low drag .243's, low drag .257's, low drag .264's, low drag .284's, low drag .308's, and low drag .338s. I planned also on making dies to swage .458 paper patch bullets for those 45.70 shooters out there. Another neat idea may be some whisper bullets... not sure if people would buy them, but hes, its worth a shot. Whisper's are Round nose, boat tail bullets that are to be used in subsonic applications. Anyhow, if you guys get a free second, PLEASE leave me some feedback on what you would be most interested in. I have spent many many hours reading the wonderful stories on this website, so your input and interests will be a definite deciding factors in my decisions for this business in the near future. Let me know, and if there is some interest in my operation on this site, i will post my website (as soon as i finish programming)

rasto
11-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Hi there

First of all, your dies should be somehow special if you want to tear off a piece of die making cake bussiness.
To be honest I am the one who ordered 5 die set from Kain dies. Because considerable lower price (not only that) in comparison with long term suppliers as Corbin etc.
So consider price policy, innovation, quality, reliability, AVIABILITY and the sixth but not the last personal touch with the customers needs.
If you feel to be exceptional in my listed opinions I thing you are ready to start long long journey of making successful bussiness = satisfied customers

frank martinez
11-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Good luck with your start-up. We need more motivated businessmen out there. My Friend has recently restarted his business which operated specifically supplying the African Market.
Working with him has been a pleasure and I will pass this bit of info on to you right now. Call the Feds and get the class 6 licensing started. It takes time and can be frustrating so if you are able to navigate all that baloney you will be ready for the rest.
I don't know enough to help with anything else but I do wish you well.
Frank

coltac
11-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Thank you for your quick reply. I completely agree with you. Customers are the most important part of the operation! If i were to start building dies, and the word got out (especially on a forum like this) that they were poor quality, or that i was a pain in the ***/neglectful business person, then it wouldnt take long for me to fail in a hard way. THanks again for the response, and hope to hear more

DukeInFlorida
11-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Here we go again.

I'd suggest that you check in with this forum's owners and register as a VENDOR account.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Coltac,
Welcome to castboolits.

I've never heard the terminology "Low drag" ???
Is there any High drag bullets ?

will you offer jackets ?
or jacket forming dies ?
they may be more lucrative in the interm...as you build a reputation
as a rifle bullet swage die maker, I suspect that'll be a tough row to hoe,
Buyers of $400 die sets may be leary of a New Die maker
'til he has some 'street cred'
Good Luck.
Jon

coltac
11-23-2011, 09:18 AM
I could offer jacket forming dies, will take some time to perfect those for sure. As for "low drag" bullet dies, I mean something on the line of Berger VLD style.... If that makes sense to ya. I will need to build a reputation with people like you, so I'm ping to start slow and simple. Thanks for looking and I'll get square with a vendor account with the admins as soon as the ball starts rolling in the right direction.

wiljen
11-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Being new to the board I have a request. Would you mind posting photos or sending a couple sets of dies to members to test and evaluate? I ask as these are typically expensive products and buying sight unseen is quite a leap of faith. If you are willing to send a couple sets on a evaluation basis, let me know and I will work with you on getting them to members that are experienced swagers and can give them a proper evaluation then get them back to you.

Thanks,

Wiljen

clodhopper
11-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I am intrested in .22 low drag dies with cases formed from 17 hmr or .22 mag brass.
finished bullets in the 75-80 grain range.

shooterg
11-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Good luck, hope you have success. The Corbins and Blackmon ain't gonna be with us forever, and there will always be a market for quality swaging dies if you can make 'em.

martin
11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Coltac,
I read your inquiry with interest about starting a die making business. In my mind, to make a good business there are a number of things to take into consideration.

First off, in the gun shooting/reloading community the knowledge level of swaging ranges far and wide. Most have little or no concept of swaging while others may know of the concept but have little experience while other select few may actually have some equipment and have made their own projectiles.

I would hazard to guess that most that have done much swaging to this point have either spent a great deal of money and/or time to turn out good projectiles. The point here is that (in my opinion) to build a good business requires several things:

1. A web site illustrating/describing your entire process from beginning to end in infinite detail. Free information.
2. A product line of not only dies but set up presses and sources of supplies such as lead and jackets so that the swager can get what they need in one place.
3. A willingness to make and support specialized items in dies and punches for those that want that special caliber or ogive.
4. Support for new and experienced swagers for anything you sell
5. Fast turn around on product you sell which possibly means inventory.
6. A forum where swagers can ask questions and others can post answers specific to your products. Also you can post pictures of dies, finished projectiles and testimonial targests.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Martin

BT Sniper
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the sight. All you could possibly need to know about swaging can be found here with a lot of great people.

As for start up swage die business advise... In my opinion, being new to this sight and being this is your first posts you will need to establish your credentials and prove the potential of your product. Provide good pics of what your dies and the bullets they make will look like. Provide pics of the targets shot with said bullets. Make a few dies first. See what it may take to produce a quality set of dies you feel is up to your, or the customer's standards. You will establish yourself in better standing with members of this forum if you first prove the potential of your dies before offering them for sale.

Good luck, good shooting and Swage On,

BT

NoZombies
11-23-2011, 12:47 PM
My humble advice:

Listen to the guys here.

Don't worry about the vendor thing until you're ready to start selling.

Make a good product at a fair price ($400 for swaging dies is fair, but only if if they're good)

Have realistic wait times.

Now step back, make a dozen sets of swage dies that are all usable, and make sure your process is repeatable, then set the price after that, not beforehand.

BT Sniper
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
My humble advice:

Now step back, make a dozen sets of swage dies that are all usable, and make sure your process is repeatable, then set the price after that, not beforehand.

Well put. Simple. "Repeatablity" such a simple term but...... well it can be a lot of work.

BT

Wayne Smith
11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Coltac

You might start by finding DanR's long thread about his issues in starting his business, Kane dies. I believe it's on the second page. Second, while this is very different than long distance shooting, nobody but Corbin currently makes half jackets for pistol bullets. Corbin's are very expensive. If you can make a swage die you should be able to make the equipment to make half jackets? If you can make them at a reasonable price there will be buyers. There are enough old half jacket dies out there.

PatMarlin
11-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Welcome to CB coltac ....:drinks:

thehouseproduct
11-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Please please please dont post anything about your dies until they are ready to sell. the 30 page thread from danr was painful. Test them, refine them, make them and then announce them.

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I swage with RCE LLC gear. At the price range your talking your not that much less expensive than Richard. I do wish you well and look forward to seeing what you have to offer. I Use Dr. Larry Blackmon gear too. Honestly your not any cheaper.

stealthshooter
11-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Here we go again.

I'd suggest that you check in with this forum's owners and register as a VENDOR account.

???? Shouldn't we be encouraging him? More products to choose from is always a good thing! Competition is a good thing as well it keeps new things on the market and requires everyone to be inventive if they wish to stay in business.

I for one wish you luck!!

Swageocast
11-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey Coltac,,,

Listen to everything that BT Sniper Says and Puts up in photos LOOK at Everything HE has.

He is doing the Do,, right NOW & is Making GREAT Products and HAS come up with AMAZING processes and ideas. Thankyou Bt Sniper! :-)

Then Go to Corbins website and Download ALL of his FREE PDF & HTML Documents he has and READ Everything he has too.

READ EVERYTHING and afterwords see if you still want to Proceed,,,,These guys have been there and are still there so YOU can benifit from their knowledge.

Just My 2 cents. :-) Swageocast

DukeInFlorida
11-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I get "concerned" when a new guy shows up, with zero previous posts, and suggests that everyone start sending him $$$$. He didn't specifically say that, but it's implied.

Had this been a fellow who's well known in the CB community, with an impeccable reputation, I might have been more encouraging.

I'm with the others who have asked for proof that this guy knows anything about how to make swage tools.

Having machinery doesn't mean that you have been through the learning curve for making swage tools that work.

Anyways, that's my take and perspective.

???? Shouldn't we be encouraging him? More products to choose from is always a good thing! Competition is a good thing as well it keeps new things on the market and requires everyone to be inventive if they wish to stay in business.

I for one wish you luck!!

PatMarlin
11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
have had several 1000 yard + shots on big game and coyotes alike.

I have CNC machines, that will be able to build die reamers with relative ease, so the dies will cost considerably less than say, corbin or an outfit like that.

Reamers? Wow. What kind of CNC machines do you have?

Beekeeper
11-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Easy Pat,
You will just get your motor reved up and hurt your knees again

beekeeper

Utah Shooter
11-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Please please please dont post anything about your dies until they are ready to sell. the 30 page thread from danr was painful. Test them, refine them, make them and then announce them.

I would agree it was more than 3/4's getting no where. I do think that it ended up benifiting the OP on that thread.

I get "concerned" when a new guy shows up, with zero previous posts, and suggests that everyone start sending him $$$$. He didn't specifically say that, but it's implied.

Had this been a fellow who's well known in the CB community, with an impeccable reputation, I might have been more encouraging.

I'm with the others who have asked for proof that this guy knows anything about how to make swage tools.

Having machinery doesn't mean that you have been through the learning curve for making swage tools that work.

I did not see any implications at all.

Everyone needs to start out somewhere. After all he could be one of those guys who post individual replies to every single post that ask him a question just to boost his posts for 3 months. That may make him look like he knows what he is talking about. I for 1 am happy to see someone else taking a shot out of it. Having someone to bounce ideas off of is always a good thing in my mind.

I for one would like to see some dies that produce .308 projectiles. I think for popularity you will find a lot for .224, .243, 9mm, .40 cal and .45's

I would also like to extend an invitation to shoot some of the projectiles that your dies make to see just how well of a projectile it makes.

Just keep your eye on the prize. I would look into post's by other die makers such as BT or even the 2,000 page one from Danr. Get Corbin's PDF's as stated before. Look up posts by Swagerman. He seemed to have the most open mind out of anyone that I have seen making swaging equipment.

Even Duke is an old tuffy but has good intentions.

Welcome to the site Sir.

PatMarlin
11-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Easy Pat,
You will just get your motor reved up and hurt your knees again

beekeeper

Bees Knees? ...:mrgreen:

coltac
11-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I think i will get a few sets of dies built, and send them out to some of you guys on the forums. I will need some recomendations as i dont know who has the time / knowhow to do this type of thing. I need to know what kind of press, and what caliber you guys would be willing to test. Thanks, and let me know. Itll be a week or so till i get my repaired dividing head for my mill, so that is when ill start getting real busy.

stealthshooter
11-24-2011, 01:55 AM
I know 7/8-14 for your average reloading press is pretty common. That's what I'm using. Also .357 .429 and .452 seem to be pretty popular. I'd be more than willing to test a set and give my thoughts!

Utah Shooter
11-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I know 7/8-14 for your average reloading press is pretty common.

That is what I use with the Corbin dies I have.

Buckshot
11-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Hello everyone.

Hey coltac, welcome to the board!

I am starting a new bullet swaging die making business, and would like some feedback from this knowledgeable community. The reason that im starting this business, is that its something that im simply passionate about, and i happen to have some nice equipment. I got into long range shooting several years ago, and have had several 1000 yard + shots on big game and coyotes alike. I became interested in bullet design shortly after getting into shooting those long distances.
So, here is my inquiry for all of you serious reloaders out there. When i start this small business, what kind of dies would you guys purchase (not assuming that you will, but what kind would you buy if you were interested in doing so).

I won't pretend to answer for anyone here, other then myself but I believe there are two main criteria of major interest in swage dies.

1) Would be accuracy. The dies would have to be consistent to a particular ten thousandth of an inch. A guy wanting to swage a jacketed slug to .308" wants .308" and not .3083". Conversely .3078" isn't going to cut it either.

2) Availability. I think this is the next concern, and the length of waiting times has given many folks interested in swaging a major case of gas in many instances. Why pay a comparatively large piece of change for something, (that for 99.9% is a hobby) and then have to wait one or two years to get it?

I have CNC machines, that will be able to build die reamers with relative ease, so the dies will cost considerably less than say, corbin or an outfit like that.

CNC is nice. Speaking of reamers and their use, that's machining 101, CNC or not. CNC could probably produce die BLANKS faster then a manual machine, but that's not really the time eater. The accuracy required for truly match grade swage dies is a matter of honing, and honing to levels mentioned in #1 above. In addition to honing, there will be an expense involved due to heat treating. Swage dies of high tolerance that are expected to live HAVE to be heat treated

Im not sure what i will charge for a set of dies, but im thikning somewhere near the 350-400 range for a flat base die set.

Unless you can take the die from bare rod stock to finished die set, "In House" it would be foolish to suggest a price now.

The dies that i planned on making would be .224 Using fired .22LR jackets, some Low drag .243's, low drag .257's, low drag .264's, low drag .284's, low drag .308's, and low drag .338s. I planned also on making dies to swage .458 paper patch bullets for those 45.70 shooters out there. Another neat idea may be some whisper bullets... not sure if people would buy them, but hes, its worth a shot. Whisper's are Round nose, boat tail bullets that are to be used in subsonic applications.

If you're capable of the accuracy required, and if you have the in house capability to go from raw stock to finished die set, what will eat up your time will be custom orders. Most of the jacketed die orders will be for the accepted OD's, ie: .264", .308", .243" etc. Differing nose, and base shapes along with the combinations possible are what will cost you time. Ditto Paper patching, and here it's that you'll get all manner of requested OD's. Probably not so much nose shapes, but some and the bases will generally be flat, but varying amounts of base cavity will be asked for on occasion. These kinds of things kind of preclude keeping much of anything "Finsihed" in inventory.

I do machining for folks here on the board, and the majority of it is custom Lyman and Lee size dies. I do not make any dies of sizes offered at retail. The ONLY variable is the size the die produces. A a consequence I'm able to stock the more commonly asked for sizes. This is a boon to me and when I have a die order I never make just one. I may make 2 or 3. I ship one and put the others into stock. This is a luxury other then die blanks, you won't have I don't believe.

Your time issues will be anything you cannot do yourself, and also assuming what you CAN do is done in a timely manner. What you might have to farm out, could really hold you up, such as, say heat treating? Another might be external finish. Possibly you may live in an area where you have a few options for getting this done.

I make swage dies, but only for myself and NOT for sale. My tolerance on size dies is nominal to +.0003". Which for what it is, is not bad. However I cannot produce in a profitable time frame, nor guarenteed manner a SPECIFIC tenthousandth. Let alone 3 dies to that accuracy one after another. Not without there being a few oopsies interspersed along the way[smilie=b: The only swage dies I've made are for paper patching lead boolits. For me they're wonderfull, but I wouldn't make them as a business for others.

Anyhow, if you guys get a free second, PLEASE leave me some feedback on what you would be most interested in. I have spent many many hours reading the wonderful stories on this website, so your input and interests will be a definite deciding factors in my decisions for this business in the near future. Let me know, and if there is some interest in my operation on this site, i will post my website (as soon as i finish programming)

Once further suggestion would be to gather up literature from the companies producing swageing equipment in order to see what's out there. Best wishes in your endeavors whatever you decide to do. As you know word of fine equipment, good prices and service travel quickly.

..................Buckshot

PatMarlin
11-24-2011, 04:02 AM
It's one heck of an undertaking. I can tell you first hand. Very tough. I've been at manufacturing daily for 3 years now, and I'm still not right were I want to be with production. One of the hardest things I've done.

But it's the last business for me hopefully. No more ventures. I like this work. My tollerances are within .0005, all that I need, but swaging dies are another ball game.

MIBULLETS
11-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Good advice guys!

My guess on the sizes for dies if you are making match grade dies would be dies threaded for dedicated swaging presses. Some die makers are very successful with the 7/8-14 siz as well. Mostly pistol bullets, but this is also the style that many benchrest bullet makers use as well. These are usually very expensive carbide dies though and many benchresters will not use anything else.

Like Buchshot said, the custom orders will kill your productivity. You need to decide what you will supply and stick with it until you get off the ground, then maybe consider custom work if you feel you can fit it in without upsetting your current production.

williamwaco
11-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I have been swaging since the '60s. Can you spell "Swage-O-Matic"

Now I swage only handgun bullets. If I bought another set of rifle dies they would be .22 or 6mm hollow point.

I would like a handgun die set to swage a true Keith type SWC shape. ( In the point only of course, I am not trying to duplicate a cast bullet.) I would also like to swage real hollow base wad cutters. I would be interested only in .357, .410, .429, and .452 diameters.

I am not really interested in the rifle calibers because jackets are so hard to acquire and so expensive. That said, I don't think you could sell jacket forming dies. They would be too expensive and the process would be too slow for people using single stage manually operated presses.

The same is true, maybe even more so for handgun jackets. But I get along just fine without them.

Did you know? Many of the largest and most successful businesses in the country today were started in the depths of the 1930's depression? Best of luck in you endeavor

OneShotNeeded
11-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Just like Utah said... start with the most common calibers and work into specialty stuff. Once off the ground try offering different types of bullet points. something that will make your dies set apart. Just my pennies worth.

I for one would like to see some dies that produce .308 projectiles. I think for popularity you will find a lot for .224, .243, 9mm, .40 cal and .45's

I would also like to extend an invitation to shoot some of the projectiles that your dies make to see just how well of a projectile it makes.

Just keep your eye on the prize. I would look into post's by other die makers such as BT or even the 2,000 page one from Danr. Get Corbin's PDF's as stated before. Look up posts by Swagerman. He seemed to have the most open mind out of anyone that I have seen making swaging equipment.

Even Duke is an old tuffy but has good intentions.

Welcome to the site Sir.

coltac
11-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the posts guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to get started.

BT Sniper
11-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Where do you call home? You mentioned taking game at loong range, what caliber do you shoot for long range big game hunting. Do you hang out at LRH.com? I got my first elk with a rifle at 535 yrds with a 338 edge and have now shot two mule deer with my custom 5.7x308 bullets. Do you hunt out west or east? We love pictures!

BT

Naphtali
11-24-2011, 05:52 PM
I think i will get a few sets of dies built, and send them out to some of you guys on the forums. I will need some recomendations as i dont know who has the time / knowhow to do this type of thing. I need to know what kind of press, and what caliber you guys would be willing to test. Thanks, and let me know. Itll be a week or so till i get my repaired dividing head for my mill, so that is when ill start getting real busy.

PM sent.

MightyThor
11-24-2011, 07:55 PM

I am willing to test dies. I have various presses including Hollywoods, Corbin S press, Walnut Hill, RCBS, Herters, Dillons and Home made. been doing it for a while. posted a few pictures. First recommendation, Precision counts. the dies must produce a precise bullet time after time. Not over size, not under size, must be the right size. Must be able to deliver in a timely manner, not several months, not several years. If you can't make it, don't advertise it for sale. You should be in this for the long haul, not just make a few sets and then fade from view. Finally, accessories make the product very attractive. as others have said, dies need jackets, cores, trimmers, etc. when a supplier gets a good rep he can expect requests for all of the other things that are needed to make the end product. Best of success.

tbird1960
11-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I would be interested in the vld boat tail style of bullets in several calibers. I am interested in something that will at least be equal to bullets I can buy and would prefer that they would surpass the quality of bullets that can be bought everywhere. It is a lot of money and time to buy dies to produce a bullet that is not quite as good as a commercial made bullet. Seems like a waste of time. I would also like to have dies to make jackets.

OneShotNeeded
11-24-2011, 09:37 PM

I have a rockchucker and am currently building a swage press that was designed and put together i another post on this site. The knowledge here is great. I have been reloading for 18years and learn something new everytime I get on here. I would be willing to test .30, .357, .451 post pics and reviews including powders used etc. Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with.

NoZombies
11-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Before people go jumping in line to test these dies, might I recommend that WilJen or another moderator here decide who should be the testers?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2011, 12:16 AM
I was thinking of adding some more advise,
that is, til I read Buckshot's incredably GREAT advice.
nothing else to add.

I have used some of BT_Sniper's converted CH swage dies for pistol bullets.
and I have helped BT_Sniper with some testing of similar 308 swage dies.
I have posted some info on that.
I will state that though I have an eye for QC,
I am not the person you want to test your swage dies for rifle
bullets and shoot said bullets for accuracy testing.
I am not qualified !

BUT, if you figure out how to make a fairly simple die set (7/8x14) to
draw pistol jackets using flat 0.016" copper flashing, of which I have
an abundant supply of, for 44 cal swaged pistol bullets using a heavy duty
'reloading press" like a Lee classic cast,
Then I am you 'potential' tester for such.
I do have 44 cal swaging dies to test them with.(as well as a few guns)
I would also be willing to share some 0.016" copper sheeting with other testers.
I would probably buy a set of those dies if the price is reasonable
Jon

Jammer Six
11-25-2011, 01:02 AM
I'll test!

Now, which press should I buy?

coltac
11-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for posting sparingly. Was thanksgiving today and have been spending it with my family.

Anyhow, i saw that BT Sniper asked where i called home. Its a small town in Oregon called John Day. That is wehre i do the long range shooting. So far my shots are as follows

6.5 x 284 Norma Savage Model 12 - 140 Grain Berger VLD (calculated BC of .644)
1041 Yard Coyote - 2nd shot.
999 Yard Doe
1061 Yard Antelope
768 Yard Bull
1012 Yard Jack Rabit - 2nd shot
777 Yard Coyote

Remington 700 .220 Swift - 50 Gr. VMax
651 Yard Coyote
555 Yard Coyote
(2 longest shots with my swift)

Here is projected timeline for starting the die builds. I work for my dad, and have for quite some time now building log homes. We build big (6-8000 sq. ft.) custom log homes for people all over the county. Sadly this one that we are finishing right now is down in Texas (Near Waco) and i have been going back and forth from home (Oregon) to there working on it. Basically 2 weeks on, 10 days off. We are nearing completion of that, so i had somewhat limited time. While im home i work on my shop and getting prepared for the die work. So, im going back to texas on the 5th of dec. and will return on the 16th, at which time i will get hitting it hard. So im thinking with Christmas / family obligations i will have the first set of dies designed and built shortly after christmas. I will swage some bullets for my dad and then send them off to one of you guys for testing. The next set i plan on building is .22's, and will send them off to one of you for testing.

I hope you guys realize how much i appreciate the response on this thread. I didnt expect such interest or feedback from a forum post from someone who is a newcomer to this community. Anyhow ill get some pictures up of that coyote that i got at 1041, its a pretty neat picture and shows my rifle. Im so excited to get cracking on the dies. Thanks again for all the support, and keep the suggestions / questions coming!

coltac
11-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Reamers? Wow. What kind of CNC machines do you have?

I have a 10 x 22 Lathe is CNC'd and a dividing head dividing head for making reamers. Works pretty well. Setup is a bear thou.

coltac
11-25-2011, 03:20 AM
I'll test!

Now, which press should I buy?

The press that i think is best for the money is the Corbin S Press... I dont know too much about presses as far as that goes thou to be honest, but mine is a pretty damn good press. They come with an adapter for 7/8 - 14

coltac
11-25-2011, 03:23 AM

Respectfully noted Duke. I never asked anyone for money, and will not until i have dies ready for shipping. Hell, on the first few sets, (as long as they are sold to a bastboolts member, im probably going to ship them to people, and if they want them they can pay for them, if not, then ship em back. I need to get started somehow, and this place seemed like the perfect place to do that. I dont have a reputation here, but i hope to someday.

BT Sniper
11-25-2011, 03:25 AM
John day is a nice area. I flew in there once. Love the Savage 12 series riffles.

Take your time and do it right when it comes to the dies. I've been at it now for three years and still learning.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

coltac
11-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the sight. All you could possibly need to know about swaging can be found here with a lot of great people.

As for start up swage die business advise... In my opinion, being new to this sight and being this is your first posts you will need to establish your credentials and prove the potential of your product. Provide good pics of what your dies and the bullets they make will look like. Provide pics of the targets shot with said bullets. Make a few dies first. See what it may take to produce a quality set of dies you feel is up to your, or the customer's standards. You will establish yourself in better standing with members of this forum if you first prove the potential of your dies before offering them for sale.

Good luck, good shooting and Swage On,

BT

Just noticed that you lived in Oregon too! I will come visit you someday once this train starts rolling!
You flew in? I have a beechcraft bonanza up at the john day airport, its a wonderful place to fly =)

Wayne Smith
11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
The press that i think is best for the money is the Corbin S Press... I dont know too much about presses as far as that goes thou to be honest, but mine is a pretty damn good press. They come with an adapter for 7/8 - 14

Would one of you experienced guys go to eBay and search on the Skinner press? The guy who made the Skinner sights is making them. I'm a novice at this but it looks to me like it would be more than adequate for swaging and at a lower price point.

Rick459
11-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Would one of you experienced guys go to eBay and search on the Skinner press? The guy who made the Skinner sights is making them. I'm a novice at this but it looks to me like it would be more than adequate for swaging and at a lower price point.

is this the press you are reffering too?

http://www.skinnerpress.com/

Dannix
11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.skinnerpress.com/
That's a new one to me. $257 from their site + shipping.

Sonnypie
11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Under the Skinner Sights page is contact info for Andy Larsson in Montana.
Or you can Email at: parson@blackfoot.net
http://www.skinnersights.com/#

A friend of mine is calling as I type. (OK, Hunt & Peck.... ):killingpc
Looks like a nice press.:smile:

Wayne Smith
11-25-2011, 05:50 PM
That's a new one to me. $257 from their site + shipping.

Yes, that's the one. I don't need it now, but thought others in the market ought to know about it. Mr. Skinner is well known in the shooting community for the quality of his work.

Jammer Six
11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Has anyone determined whether or not this press can be used with BT's dies?

Reload3006
11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I would say yes the press can be used with BTs and CH4D dies. It looks like a very well made press. I however am not entirely sure that I would want to swage with it. while it may be a very precise reloading press. judging from the picture I can see some major issues if a lot of pressure is being applied to its toggle. JMO.

GerryM
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I know i'm a new guy here but I don't think so. Nice press but the linkage looks weak and does the leverage It may spring too much to do any serious swaging. I do think it would be fine for reloading some of those heavy calibers.

475AR
11-29-2011, 09:11 PM
coltac good luck in your venture we can ALWAYS use a new mfg for dies. As has been posted you will need to make dies that work with the big presses i.e. Corbins and RCECO, I have both an S press and a Walnut Hill and use both of them for swedging. Keep us posted as to when you have dies ready, I will be looking for a set in .264 both FB and BT open tip and VLD.
I think if you make a good product and stand behind it you will do fine.

rugerglocker
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Hope you can get it up and running. I would like to see 7/8-14 dies in .22rf to .224, .308, and .357/.355. Hopefully the price won't be too high, as that's what's keeping me from getting fully into it. I was very interested in danr's Kaine dies, but the price doubled from what he originally thought it was going to be, and I wasn't too fond of having to size the bullets as a final step. Some reviews made it sound like the finished diameters were not always at .224, and there is the slight jacket spring-back issue.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing progress.