PDA

View Full Version : RD's 1894FG vs. Buck

Ranch Dog
11-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Used the 1894FG along with my TLC411-255-RF to take a pretty good 5 1/2 year old 8 point about mid-morning.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Hunting/2011/RD_1894FG_01.jpg

It is a bit of a tale but I wasn't even hunting at the time. I didn't go out this morning as I've been at this since the first weekend of the month and wanted to take my granddaughter to school. Mid-morning I had wandered in the house and was in a bathroom, taking a leaking, and watching out the window that looks out over my Upper food plot. Yeah, I know, I live in heaven! Anyway, I saw this fellow up there working a doe. It is a pretty good distance up to were they where, about 250-yards or better, and very open. The only way to get to him was to head the other direction and work a long way around. It was a little better than a mile. I was in a t-shirt and shorts because it has been in the low 80's but a cold front was beginning to move through and a light rain had started to fall. As I worked my way around I crossed a drainage that leads to my lake so my shoes got soaked. As I started to get closer to where I expected to meet up with the buck, my shoes were sloshing so bad that I removed them and pressed on barefoot so I wouldn't make any noise. There are a couple of guys here that know my country and know that it is not barefoot friendly but I had to do something to move quieter. As I moved closer, I laid down and crawled through the brush the last 25-yards to the edge of the food plot. When I peeped out through the grass, he was about 35-yards from me and quartering my way. I didn't particularly like the shot but figured it would be the only one that I would get so I tried to push the 255-grain chuck of lead through his shoulder and into his heart. I actually heard the flat point strike him at the shot as he turned towards me and headed to the brush line. I laid flat and listed but didn't hear a thing. I waited 5 minutes and then crawled back out and all the way around so that I would bugger him if the shot was bad.

It took so long that my wife had thought that I wandered off to do something else until she heard the shot. When I returned home, I told her the tale as I walked back into the bathroom to look up where the action took place. Looking out the window I could see the deer laying at the brush line, about 15-yards from where I had been laying!

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Hunting/2011/RD_1894FG_02.jpg

The bullet went into him and out the other side splitting his heart in half.

missionary5155
11-23-2011, 04:48 AM
Good morning & Congradulations on the nice buck ! Crawling about through the bushes is my kind of hunting.
Good news on a boolit I expect to be using in my Marlin & DW 414 SM.
MIke in Peru

leftiye
11-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Ah's jealous. 80 degrees? It's starting to be winter here.

northmn
11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Funny how one seems to score. Nice buck . In my neck of the woods, in deer season we are dressed in blaze orange jackets, often with warm bibs and very warm boots. We ahve snow on the ground right now.

DP

TCFAN
11-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Nice buck RD. I wanted to try my 432-265 out on a deer this year but the deer were not interested at all in the idea..............Terry

Nrut
11-24-2011, 08:00 PM
That is a nice buck!
And I love your hunting git-up..

:drinks:

Gee_Wizz01
11-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Congratulations, that's a nice buck! However, barefoot in South Texas, makes my toes curl just thinking about mesquite thorns, grass burrs and other things that mangle feet. Not mention fire ants. I hope to try out one your RD339-200's in a couple of weeks, but I am not going barefoot.

G

TXGunNut
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Nicely done, Michael! Barefoot deer hunting, indeed. Great story, thanks for sharing. How did you happen to grab that rifle on the way out?

Ranch Dog
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
How did you happen to grab that rifle on the way out?

Pretty easy when it is sitting at the backdoor. There was only two choices that day, the 39A or 1894FG, so it was pretty easy.

Matthew 25
11-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Success! Good job, it all played right.

dnepr
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
congrats on the deer and the 1894 fg , I just got beat out by someone faster on the second FG I have found in the last year [smilie=b: good to see it when I do finally score one that it will perform well on deer :-)

6pt-sika
11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Congrats !

Your cast bullet did a darned sight better then the 1894FG I used to have did with handloaded Nosler 210 grain JHP's !

Now kinda makes me wish I still had the little rifle just so I could try your bullet !

No_1
11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
In a cast boolit thong no less....:oops:

44 flattop
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Nicely done! What a dandy buck. And I love that rifle even if it IS in the wrong caliber.....!

white eagle
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
very nice
I hope to score on one similar to that sometime

Suo Gan
12-03-2011, 01:37 AM
1894 FG "Fat Guy", "Fart Gun"?? Can't keep up with all the computer acronyms LOL FWIW!!

Nice Job BTW. Another season came and went, nada on the meat pole here so I am envious.

Ranch Dog
12-03-2011, 01:03 PM
1894 FG "Fat Guy", "Fart Gun"?? Can't keep up with all the computer acronyms LOL FWIW!!

Nice Job BTW. Another season came and went, nada on the meat pole here so I am envious.

It is the model that Marlin assigned to the 1894 rifles chambered in 41 Mag. The carbines are simply the "S" along with the other cartridges chambered in that specific rifle. I've never heard what the "FG" is supposed to represent.

JayinAZ
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Fun Gun! At least mine is :)

Blammer
12-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Good story! good buck! I wish I had a 41 mag lever gun. :)

Ranch Dog
12-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Good story! good buck! I wish I had a 41 mag lever gun. :)

Marlins chambered in 219 Zipper and 356 Win are thrown out there as the Crown Jewels of the offerings but for me it is the "S" in 41 Mag or this "FG". I would have preferred the "S" with its carbine features but I feel lucky to have found my "FG".

Combat Diver
12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Michael,

Congrats on a nice buck! After two yrs down range I finally casted some of your TL 411-255 RF (no gas check). Hope to use it against black bear or a whitetail next week in NC after I get back from Indiana. My Marlin is a 1894S, I understand the 1894PG in .44 Mag may have been for Pistol Grip as it has one. The FG was just change for the .41 version. Love the story.

CD

Ranch Dog
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Very Glad to hear from you! Good luck with the hunting!

Old Goat Keeper
12-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Michael I have all 3...a pristine 219 Zipper, a very good 356W and a NIB (when I got it but no longer LOL) FG. Now if they only made the FG with a button magazine like the SC's have! I HAVE to get your mold/sizing die/FCD combo for the .41 caliber.

T-o-m who will NOT say how much he paid for that pristine late manufactured Zipper LOL

Marlins chambered in 219 Zipper and 356 Win are thrown out there as the Crown Jewels of the offerings but for me it is the "S" in 41 Mag or this "FG". I would have preferred the "S" with its carbine features but I feel lucky to have found my "FG".

Ranch Dog
12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I even have a spare barrel for the 219 Zipper that I picked up through a friend of friend when Marlin was closing its doors. Right before the deal with Freedom Arms, apparently Marlin pulled out everything they had stashed over the years to reduce it to cash so the value of the Company could be established. There was some interesting stuff. I actually picked up 3 unique barrels just in case I need them down the road.