PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Button riffling

kbstenberg
11-22-2011, 11:37 PM
I have been looking at the marlin bolt guns. And in there description of the barrels. They say they are button riffled. Can someone please describe the pluses an disadvantages of button riffling, an just what is it? Thanks
Kevin

tomme boy
11-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Just about all factory are going to be button rifled. Then there is what I think is the best. Cut rifled. Then hammer forged.

Button, has the shape of the rifling is going to be. It is either pushed or pulled. Fast and cheap.

Cut, each land is cut a litlle at a time. They rotate the barrel then cut the next land. Very accurate and high quality. Cost is high. Some say last the longest.

Hammer forge. It is forged around a rod that has the rifling on it. As it is forged, it takes on the shape of the rod. Cheaper than cut, very long lasting.

excess650
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Just to be fair, Douglas and Shilen are button rifled. In that the metal is displaced to form the rifling, it may introduce some stress, but it may also work harden the bore. Button rifled barrels are very smooth, but rifling is generally only .002"-.004" deep.

Cut rifled can be single point cut with multiples of passes required to deepen each GROOVE. There is also broach cut rifling that may be cut as fast as a single pass. Cutter marks are normally visible in the bottoms of the grooves, and cut rifled barrels are often lapped in an effort to smooth them, and the rifling can be as deep as the maker sees fit. MLer barrels sometimes have grooves .018" deep.

Olevern
01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Marlin=microgroove button rifling=more grooves, not so deep. Shoot as well as any other mass production product, just need to use oversize cast boolits to achieve accurate results.

Not sure that Marlin is using microgroove barrels on their bolt action centerfire rifles, or even producing bolt action centerfire rifles anymore since the buyout, didn't catch the bolt part initially, however, if it is a rimfire bolt, it will be microgroove. No worries about reloading rimfire, but Marlin rimfire bolts, in my experience are very accurate.