PDA

View Full Version : Essential Arms?

Thumbcocker
11-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Anyone have any expereince with AR-15 clones made by essential arms? I think the model was J15 and it is in the hbar configuration. thoughts or overall impressions would be appreciated.

bruce drake
11-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I bought a lower receiver from them a few years back because it was a good price. The plus on the purchase was that the quality of the lower was better than what I expected for the price. If I didn't already have three ARs, I'd think about buying another lower from them. I don't have any experience about their completed rifles but their recievers are good.

Bruce

wv109323
11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Essential Arms was one of the first to supply upper and lower frames for the
AR-15. Many people built rifles on the frames from kits. I don't know if Essential even supplied complete rifles. I don't think there is anything wrong with their frames. I have two with no complaints.
I would guess that the rifle you are looking at was built from a kit using an Essential Arms Frame. The Quality will depend on whose parts were used and that would be impossible to tell by inspection.
If the rifle is at a good price, you can replace any inferior parts with known quality parts.

Got-R-Did
11-23-2011, 01:18 AM
I have an Essential Arms lower that I bought stripped due in part to its price point compared to the many available at the time. It languished in my safe until late last year when I finally got a lower parts kit from DPMS at the pre-election price of $50. It currently is hosting a .50 BMG BOHICA upper and shoots better than I am able to drive her. If that isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is. She will be refitted with a new DSA upper 16" fluted HBAR/Troy Industries free-float handguard once the new owner of the .50 upper makes the final payment. I look forward to having a lightweight, nimble rifle at the ready.
Got-R-Did.

greywuuf
11-23-2011, 01:28 AM
My essential arms was purchased for a very good price and was delivered with documentation as being a "virgin" receiver and transferred as a pistol. two things of note, mine is a Very light shade of gray ( easily matched to what ever with various paint coatings ) and I believe they are investment cast, not forged as some are. I am not saying that a cast receiver is inferior it is just something to note. I have also heard from the proprietor that they have been making these same receivers for a very long time and a good many of his products went to a well know manufacturer that made full auto weapons, no undo wear or breakage was noted.

As for mine, it works fine and built as easily as any lower I have dealt with.